Oil bracket on 582

Guest rodneyh

Guest rodneyh

Hi all, have just noticed that the upper half of the oil resevoir bracket is half cracked through.

This is the second time that this has happened, just wondering if anyone else has the same problem.

Been thinking that the resevoir itself may be warped and putting undue stress on the bracket.

Motor has done 280 hrs, and runs smooth enough- have never had to replace any exhaust springs ect.

Any sugetions?

Cheers Rod H

Guest Crezzi

Its not just you as I've had to replace one on an Edge Classic. It had about the same hours as yours but I don't know if it had ever been changed before.

I've never owned one so I'm afraid I don't know if there is a common fix but perhaps someone else will

Cheers

John

Saw one of the guys at our our field changing one a couple of months ago. I think it was the second time he had replaced it. At the time I think he commented that some people relocated the tank to get away from the problem though he preferred to just keep an eye on it and change it when it first showed signs of cracking.

Others here may have more direct experience.

Ray

Hi Rodney,

I am presuming that the bracket is the 90degree stainless one, when I had my 582 it did the same thing, I just welded some braces from the vertical side to the horizontal face and it never cracked again, it is a common problem with the stainless brackets.

A couple of braces on the bracket will fix the problem forever.

Cheers

Alf

Made my own bracket when my old 582 (pre-mix) was rebuilt and became oil-injected. Mounted on the sloping tubes of the upper-engine-mount. Has now done over 500 hours without cracking, bits falling off or anything else untoward. Getting the tank and bracket off the vibrating engine seems to be the main thing. The current mounting system, on the cylinder-head, is designed to fail. The chap who designed the bracket, and the mounting system, probably won an industrial design award. Usually the case for boneheadedly stupid design. There's usually an intelligence test to be an industrial designer - you have to fail.

The best solution is to buy a 912-engined trike. Failing that, design and fabricate your own bracket to mount the tank on the sloping tubes of the top engine mount, with due regard to the sloping throttle-cable "mixer assembly".

Guest Crezzi
Made my own bracket when my old 582 (pre-mix) was rebuilt and became oil-injected. Mounted on the sloping tubes of the upper-engine-mount. Has now done over 500 hours without cracking, bits falling off or anything else untoward. Getting the tank and bracket off the vibrating engine seems to be the main thing. The current mounting system, on the cylinder-head, is designed to fail. The chap who designed the bracket, and the mounting system, probably won an industrial design award. Usually the case for boneheadedly stupid design. There's usually an intelligence test to be an industrial designer - you have to fail.The best solution is to buy a 912-engined trike. Failing that, design and fabricate your own bracket to mount the tank on the sloping tubes of the top engine mount, with due regard to the sloping throttle-cable "mixer assembly".

Don't beat about the bush - tell us what you really think 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

Cheers

John

Now I have only been aware of this problem for about a week, but from reading this thread, it is obviously a common and widespread fault. I think that it is extremely remiss of the manufacturer to continue to ignore the fault after having received what can only be a whole heap of Defect Reports from all of the people who have experienced this fault.

Safe flying

Kev

582 Oil tank mounts

Hi, guys,

My Edge Classic 582 oil tank support also has also failed. The upper stainless bracket cracked thru the 90 degree bend. This was noted last week during a

pre-flight inspection.

There was no visual evidence of this prior to the flight it obviously failed on,

as I recall checking plugs, wiping and inspecting that area in question.

This bracket has fatigued & fractured, in-flight, in less than 300hrs TT.

I have since replaced the offending component, and may even consider

repairing and gusseting the old one, despite the possibility of creating more stress

in the metal. The suggestion of relocating it may be the go, regulations

permitting.

When I informed my mate, who has an identical aircraft, he promptly inspected his,

replying that it too, was cracked in exactly the same area. Further to that, he said

take a look on this site, as it appears others have experienced this problem.

It's a worry that one may possibly totally self destruct in mid-flight. CHECK YOURS !!

Guest Maj Millard

The original Radiator alum brackets on the 582s used to crack and fail also, fairly quickly so you fabricated something better and away you went........................024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Airborne 582 oil tank bracket

Hi. guys.

Presently there are people researching the history of the upper oil tank bracket

cracking. At this point in time, all details compiled relate to the Airborne trikes.

Are there any Airborne or other trikers out there that can relate to this problem ?

Would anyone also have knowledge of other 582 powered ultralights exhibiting

that problem also. In all cases the issue appears relative to the cylinder head

mounted configuration. It would be worthwhile asking around, and dropping a

line on this site.091_help.gif.c9d9d46309e7eda87084010b3a256229.gif