Garmin GPSMAP296

melvicaus

Can anybody help with a problem I have with my GPS. I create a new route by entering waypoints. Then I activate the route. The screen window displays the active route with the arrow symbol showing that I am navigating from the first to the second waypoint.

On the map page, the Dist Next shows the distance remaining to reach the next waypoint and runs down to zero as that waypoint is reached. The GPS then shows the next waypoint, but the Dist Next increases showing distance from my take off point and not distance from next waypoint. Is there a setting that I have entered incorrectly?

Quick thing to check is what that field actuall is.

In that screen press the menu button and then select the "change data fields".

Go to that field and press enter (or what ever it needs) and check that it is actually showing distance to next.

One thing which has me stumped:

Why is it that initially you say it is showing distance to next, then after two waypoints is showing distance from start.....??

Oh, and are you talking about a data field or what is on the map screen?

I only have a 96C so a 296 is a bit different.

Guest pelorus32

As Flying Dog has suggested the first thing to do is to check what data fields you have active on the map page. Once you are satisfied that you have the data fields that you think you have then you can look at the problem.

Sorry for the "silly" questions here but sometimes it pays to ask the dumb questions.

When the "distance increases" as you cross a waypoint are you sure that it's actually measuring the distance from the start, and it's not just that the Distance to Next is bigger than the last distance to next? For instance if you had a distance from origin to wpt1 of 20nm and then a distance wpt1 to wpt2 of 40nm then directly after you passed wpt1 the Distance to Next would jump up to 40nm?

What firmware version are you running on the Garmin? I think the current one is either 5.60 or 5.70. If you are not running at least 5.60 you should connect to your computer and update the firmware.

Let us know how you go.

Regards

Mike

Mike,

I updated the firmware. Still have the same problem. I entered a route YPEF - YMNG - YSHT- YTOC. The first leg is 38.7 nm. on the map page, DIST NEXT is shown as 38.7nm. ETE is shown at 22.00. NEXT WPT is MNG. When I get to YMNG, DIST NEXT has run down to 0 nm and ETE to 0.00. Message says "next course 009". After I have overflown YMNG, both DIST NEXT and ETE commence running UP and not resetting and then running down from YSHT. The only way to run down from YSHT is from Active Route page > menu> next route waypoint > enter. Is there no automatic way for this to happen?

Go into Routes, Menu, and then I think it's Setup and select "auto transition".

It"s not transitioning to the next waypoint in your route.

It"s giving you the next course and waiting for you to manually transition it.

I think from memory the options are manual, auto or distance. Auto is the option I use.

Regards

Greg

Guest brentc
Let us know how you go.

Mike

I like that Mike.

It's up there with 'keep me updated.'

or

'let me know how that pans out'

It's what IT people use to tell a customer that they have no idea what is wrong.

Guest Walter Buschor

don't know if I can help here. I have a GARMIN 196 and it also has a fault I cannot fix but got used to. I sart all my trips from Gympie. It will show the distance to any waypoint and destination but it never shows the correct distance back to Gympie. It will always add the distance to where ever I am ie: Ican land in Gympie and it will say distance toGympie

100mls. yet I'm there! Go figure! I just got used to it. I even cleared all my waypoints and started again. It still has not helped

any Ideas!

the grey Nomad

Guest watto

Mel, sounds like you are tarvelling backwards on the route! just go to the route selection page and select the route and push the menu button, then scroll down and select "invert route" and you should be right.

I hope this helps

Watto

Guest Walter Buschor

Thanks watto and flying pooch,

I shall try your suggestions. Even though I'm not old and decrepit I do have a little reluctance to accept modern technology - I haven't even got a mobile phone and still listen to vinyl records ( and some CD's ) so a GPS does pose a challenge.

thanks for your help

the grey Nomad

Guest watto

No worries Walter, and you are actually hip to have vinyl these days people are trading them all over the world and some are very sought after! so as they say if you hang onto it long enough it will come back into fashion hehehe that old safari suit is back in Brisbane as well!!!!!

I hope I am as fit and active as some of the guys and gals I have met whom are into aviation when I hit the latter part of my life.

Watto

Guest Walter Buschor

Hi flying pooch

don't know if we ever "sniffed" each other but I only know Skyfox training school at Caloundra. If you were at Inglewood this or last year I was there. I'm also planning to go to Bundaberg this weekend - fog permitting - as Gympie is a bit of a fog hole.

I might see you there. fair way from Sydney though

safe flying

the grey Nomad

I was at Gympie a couple of times. Once years back when I was learning.

John flew up there and I "came along for the ride".

The other time was I flew in there ....... Ooooh, a while ago in a fox.

Someone there was planning a flight somewhere and we got on talking.

Probably wasn't you, but it is worthing asking.

:)

Yes, fly safe.

This weekend I am off to Luskintyre. Tigermoths are flying.

I hope to take a J160 there from YWOL for Sat/Sun - weather permitting.

• 2 months later...

Garmin 296

I have question for you guys that are expert in this model.

I have a route of multiple waypoints..menu activate.

I am not sure what to do when I cut the corner of a waypoint to save time. The GPS wants me to return to that waypoint.

If I go into Route and activate the NEXT waypoint, will it continue onto the last destination or only take me to the next waypoint?

If I activate the destination waypoint will it bypass the other waypoints enroute?

I have been loathe to experiment in the air due to the possibility of stuffing up what I have programed for the trip.

Other than the above I get along well with the 296 and find the map page overlaid with compass and heading excellent.

Cheers,

Phil.

I have question for you guys that are expert in this model.I have a route of multiple waypoints..menu activate.

I am not sure what to do when I cut the corner of a waypoint to save time. The GPS wants me to return to that waypoint.

If I go into Route and activate the NEXT waypoint, will it continue onto the last destination or only take me to the next waypoint?

If I activate the destination waypoint will it bypass the other waypoints enroute?

I have been loathe to experiment in the air due to the possibility of stuffing up what I have programed for the trip.

Other than the above I get along well with the 296 and find the map page overlaid with compass and heading excellent.

Cheers,

Phil.

Phil,

I have found a couple of things regarding this:

1. when I cut the corner (usually not by much) the 296 gives up on the truncated way point after a short time and moves on to the next waypoint.

2. by highliting the next (or any other) waypoint on the route page, you get a GOTO button at the bottom. Click this and it will adopt the selected waypoint as the next waypoint and then carry on from there through subsequent waypoints.

Experiment in your car if you want reassurance, or in the air locally.

Cheers,

Jeff

My 296 is set up to allow me to cut the corner and once level with the old way point it simply adopts the next one and continues on, there is something in the setup that will allow this, I think this is it!!!

1)Go to set up

2) scroll across to guidance

3)scroll down and select off- route recalculation

4) select that and select "automatic-Announced"

and that should do it!