RAAus Elections

Hi All

For those that don't know me my name is Ian Baker and I am the Owner and Administrator of this site. I established Recreational Flying (.com.au) some 5 years ago so RAAus members could come together and help each other in a free and friendly environment in the hope that by helping each other we could all fly safer, learn more about flying skills and aircraft maintenance, promote flying and create a supportive community that had one common interest - flying all types of recreational aircraft.

The site has been for a long time and still is the number 1 home on the internet for all recreational pilots however it takes a lot of money and a lot of time to make it all happen for you. I currently spend around 13hrs a day working on all the many different areas of the site but I still believe I can do more for you as individuals and our whole RAAus Association and its members so I am announcing that I am standing for Victoria in the current RAAus Board Elections.

I believe I can bring more Board transparency and information distribution to the many RAAus members if I am elected along with a very strong business education and experience in non-profit institutions. This site for example is true evidence of what I can do for you with its great success and growth and most importantly the service that it provides to all RAAus members, free from any costs or commercial advertising for everyone to use.

If I am elected I will be able to provide you with more information from the Board on areas that may affect you, act as a greater conduit on your behalf to the Board and provide you with greater access to a Board member as I am always available to you from right here. I will fight tooth and nail on your behalf for the freedoms that we have especially the right to perform our own maintenance and not to be forced into taking our aircraft to a LAME. I can't do anything about the past but I certainly can do something for the future.

I believe that every candidate can use what ever resources that are available to them in asking you to vote for them - CFI's have a large list of students that they can call on, Club members can canvas there club's members, LAME's can use their own database of clients, all of which I don't have access to. However, through the dedication and passion that I have shown in working hard almost every single day for 5 years and the financial costs that I endured to keep this site going for you and every RAAus member, never asking for anything in return, I believe I can ask here for your vote in the upcoming Victorian elections.

If you are not in Victoria then please use the "Email this page" link from the "Thread Tools" drop down on the top right of this post to those that are.

If you are a Victorian then when you receive the ballot paper in your RAAus magazine this week in Victoria, please vote for me (Ian Baker) and let us Victorians show how many of us "Mexicans" can vote in this Vic and NSW election.

Sincerely

Ian Baker

Ian Baker Election Statement

Hi All

My name is Ian Baker, I currently own and fly a Gazelle, originally trained at both Point Cook and Shepparton and have log book endorsements for the Gazelle, Jabiru and CT. Furthermore, this year I will also be adding a Trike and Thruster to that list to get an extended list of many different recreational aircraft types. As you read through this election statement you will no doubt see that if you vote for me as a Victorian representative to the RAAus Board, I will be able to bring to YOU and our organisation, many supporting attributes from our simple love of “fun” flying to the highest level of business knowledge and above all, extreme passion for our beloved flying activities. So please, vote for me NOW at this election, so I can help you to make our association exactly the way that you want it to be.

We can do so much for each other in terms of simple communication. What is the best spark plug or oil to use, what can I do if I find myself in the middle of a storm, who can tell me what an airfield that I am going to is like etc etc etc. This vast knowledge is spread around us all which is why I strongly believe in enhanced and transparent communication not only from the board to you but also between all of us as members of an organisation helping each other out. Nearly 5 years ago I felt there was an opportunity for us to all learn and help each other so I established the discussion forums at Recreational Flying (.com.au) that are dedicated to all recreational pilots and aircraft owners. At my own cost of over $10,000 the forums were established and now with over 4,000 recreational pilots there all helping each other in areas of maintenance, safety, and experiences, we now have what is regarded as the best recreational flying resource in the entire world right here in Australia for you. In fact there are now pilots from all around the world coming to the forums, tapping in to the vast knowledge base that has helped so many RAAus members in all areas of their flying and completely for free. So voting for me at these elections will see this vast and completely free help and support that is available to you taken to the next level – and for ALL RA-Aus members and that is what I am all about, helping in any way I can all recreational aviators.

We all like to just get out there and fly for fun, without the politics and without the worry of whether “our” organisation is being managed properly. With around 9,000 members, a million dollars in income and the vast growth that RAAus is experiencing we need a change in the level of business knowledge at Board level. I have my Master’s Degree in Business and Administration (MBA), Degree in Computer Sciences for improved management of information and many other business management courses. For many years I was the President (elected volunteer) of an entire group of community run kindergartens, 28 of them in one association looking after around 5,000 children, around 150 staff, 28 sub committees and all in a very government and political environment so I am very experienced when it comes being a Board member. As the President I was able to lead the Association from just a group that gets together from time to time into the most respected community group of Kindergartens in Victoria, respected by government departments, Association members, staff and the entire community. I believe our Association needs greater business skills in its management to be able to continue allowing us the freedom of just flying for fun knowing that our Association is safely managed to our own individual needs.

As a large Association we also have the opportunity as a collective group with a strong buying power to obtain greater benefits for us all. If elected I will work hard to commence bringing you those benefits in areas like fuel discounts. The SAAA offer there members a fuel discount so why can’t we. This along with other initiatives based on your needs will be on my “to do” list for ALL RAAus members if elected.

In addition, I would like to see more of, and I will work vigorously towards, better promotion and public understanding of both our plights and joys of recreational flying. A clear objective I would have is to see the greater acceptance of us recreational pilots by all other aviation communities whilst protecting the freedoms that we currently enjoy whether you fly a Trike, a Thruster, a Jabiru, a Tecnam, factory built, kit built or any other type of recreational aircraft. Schools and clubs form the basic introduction of potential recreational flyers to our Association and I believe they can be better supported in terms of promotion to the wider public and if elected I will work towards assisting them to do this.

Finally, I promise that if you vote for me I will always make myself available at anytime to listen to anything a member may wish to discuss. I will then provide any follow up support that I can. I believe as a group we can make a difference but in doing so remembering that, OUR FLYING SHOULD ALWAYS BE FUN.

I am sincerely asking for your support and that with it, I believe I can make a difference and fully support you in your flying ventures as an RAAus Board representative.

Thankyou for your time!

Ian Baker

My only current financial interest in aviation is as the owner of Clear Prop – a pilot’s discount store at Clear Prop (.com.au) that provides the necessary financial support to keep Recreational Flying (.com.au) free for all

jsonly4col.jpg.e164d2ed64408eb040894fa47a2e70f9.jpg

Guest blakey36

Good Luck Ian...You certainly take your 'finger on the pulse' to the job hopefully you'll win and bring the same back to us through your wonderful website...Only time I wished I was a Victorian so i could give you my vote.

Bryan

Guest watto

Good luck Ian I am not Victorian but I am behind you all the way and if I can assist in any way and that includes helping out here if needed then just drop me a line..

Watto

Guest Maj Millard

Go for it Ian and good luck. I may throw in my hat for the NQ seat next time it comes up also. Cheers Ross