Jump starting on cold morning

Phil Goyne

I felt fairly safe pulling over a 2200 Jab motor by hand because it needs +300 RPM to fire the fuel in the cylinder according to the Jabiru engine manual.

However an instructor was not impressed and said that it could fire from a piece of still glowing carbon on the head or the top of a piston which is a possible scenario for a flying school operation with multiple flights with short delays between each flight.

I suppose that is fairly unlikely if it has been in a cold hanger all night and this is the first engine start.

The 300 rpm magic speed may be affected up or down by the clearance between the permanent magnets on the flywheel and the coils mounted on the engine frame.

Personally on a Jabiru motor I would rather spin the engine with closed throttle and no choke with the starter motor to get oil pressure with the ignition switches off.

Then for a cold motor situation, mags on, choke on, throttle closed, activate starter as soon as the motor fires close the choke.

If the idle is set high on a Jab motor the choke will be ineffective.

Of course as one of the others indicated if either of the grounding wires to either coil breaks a connection then that is the same as that ignition switch being turned on with the additional problem that the only way to stop the motor then is to turn off the fuel with the master tap and wait until the carburetor runs out of fuel.

I saw that happen once with a powered Aerochute where the wiring system for the earthing switch can be damaged or compromised by a heavy landing.

• 2 weeks later...

Cold Starting a Jabiru

Hi all you Jabiru owners and Rotax Owners as well. I have discovered an excellent way to cold start your aircraft and also use as a carby heat. It is a device that fits onto the butterfly of your carby and heats it. It comes from overseas cold climates and elimates your existing carby heat,if you have one. Very simple to install and it really works.You can contact me here or phone me on 0408203362 for further information. Cheers Jabby

Don't be fooled into thinking that a Jab can't be started by hand. I bought my original second hand Jab motor from a bloke who worked at the Jab works as rouseabout. He had missing fingers dating from the time he started one by hand and it caught him.

I should have added that he didn't do this at the factory, but with his own plane.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest The Bushman

Cold Start Jabby

Hi Why not fit Auto ignition from four cylinder car Electronic have been using one for years three switches on full choke one or two turns and away, and if the battey is Flat hand cranking can be done so beware my Jabby Bites ?? once started turn off Third Ignigtion,:Flush::Flush: last Battery I replaces was stuffed could just start engine but still did

The other morning at Bourke there was 1/2 inch of ice on the wings after overnight outside 3 clicks two turns and away she goes best system I have every used

The Bushman

Guest The Bushman

Electronic third ignigtion for Jab

Get the electronic box from a Mitsubisi 2.5 4 cylinder car Sigma

Need rotor in Dizzy

Need control unit in Dizzy

Need 12volt small Coil

Need 3 station hi voltage spark switch unit this is used so starting can be done from seat in Cabin and make up short Hi Voltage spark leads

Jab system is still used this is extra system

If you find that to hard just email me and I will purchase all items and ship with full instruction to install will take you 1 afternoon

this is set up for 4 cylinder will need to do home work on 6 cylinder unit cwould be the same unit but differant rotor unit 6 lobes not 4

About $290 Bucks

[email protected]

James