Avmap ala's

flie43

Gidday All,

I am just about to update my Avmap software and while I was doing that thoght I might do the database at the same time. There was talk 12 months ago about a file that had all the Aussie ala's and ersa strips in it. Does anyone know where I go looking for it.

I found a link to it from JRMOBILE's post but it goes no-where.

Terry

Hi Terry,

There are 3031 ALAs listed in the current ERSA. How many custom waypoints can you load into the AVMAP? I use Garmin so have no clue about AVMAP.

In what format do the custom waypoints have to be for the AVMAP to be able to load them in?

If you can give me some technical specs, I may be able to give you some data.

JayKay

Guest basscheffers
There are 3031 ALAs listed in the current ERSA.

Unfortunately, they don't have coordinates, you have to get those from elsewhere.

Maybe I should get in touch with Airservices, they must have coordinates for them, so why not publish them? Without them, there is no point in publishing the list!

Something that might help you is something I posted a while back:

http://www.recreationalflying.com/forum/navigation/28722-new-database-1465-airfields-all-vfr-waypoints.html

Thanks guys,

I updated the Avmap software today in the Jab. Well what a prick of a job. What a terrible design Mr jabiru. To get to the CF card which is on the right side you have to try and undo a knurled nut at the back-- can't get to that unless you drop the dash forward by unscrewing all the screws and hanging it forward on the throttles. If you can then get the nut undone you still have to wriggle the bracket clear to move the unit to get to the Card to get it out 051_crying.gif.fe5d15edcc60afab3cc76b2638e7acf3.gif

Well after all that, plug the card into laptop and delete some files and add the new ones.

Got it all back together and it seems fine. Edmo tells me there is a big difference in the software so that is good.

So after all that I am not going to add any more waypoints via the card. So JayKay good luck with your Jab.

Terry

Guest basscheffers

Could also say: "What a terrible design Mr AvMap"! There's other brands of panel mounts out there that have the card slot at the front, which does make a whole lot of sense!

Thanks guys,So after all that I am not going to add any more waypoints via the card. So JayKay good luck with your Jab.

Terry

Hi Terry,

I feel for you. That process sounds horrid. That's why I opted for the Garmin 296. Easy to pull out of the dash, easy to update firmware, databases and Custom Waypoints. I change my waypoints all the time depending on where I'm flying. And I can use it in the car.

For some, however, the bigger screen of the AVMAP is the key selection fearure and the Garmin 296 can't beat that.

Yeh, the big screen is great for old blind guys like me. But you are right , they should have a front slot for the card or even an extended adaptor if they are made.

Any how it's all done now, till next time.

Terry

• 2 months later...
Guest Baysidelad

Avmap problems

I agree with the other readers about the AVMAP in the Jabiru. It is a shocking design in the panel of the Jabiru. When I recently went to Bundaberg to collect my brand new J170 with AVMAP, the company hadn't even installed batteries into the AVMAP and so before I flew away I had to pull the dash to pieces to install them. On inquiring about this basic need, there didn't appear to be anybody at Jabiru that knew that this was a requirement for the AVMAP to be able to work without switching on the power and then draining the aircraft battery. Now then I wonder how many of these systems have actually been installed by Jabiru in the past????

Anyhow, if anybody out there has found an easier way of removing the AVMAP from the Jabiru panel or has made some kind of extension for uploading GPS files from programmes such as the AIRNAV VFR software, would you be so kind as to point me in the right direction because at the moment I am feeling that my decision to purchase the AVMAP has been a waste of money as it is not user friendly in respect of uploads etc.

Thanks.

Hi

Just wondering do your avmaps come with a cradle mount. As I find it very simple (within seconds) to release my avmap from its cradle and take the unit home remove the card and update software. I have the avmap mounted in our J230. I am not sure what your problem is about removing it from the panel unles it is not mounted in the cradel.

Cheers

Guest Baysidelad

Avmap mounting

My AVMAP is mounted in a fascia but I have to get behind the panel and feel for the small screw and then undo it before I can remove the unit. Then for reinstalling it you have to connect the cables up first which donot have much of a slackness in them and then fiddle the AVMAP back into the fascia and then feel for the screw to do this up. When you are working in total feel as opposed to seeing it makes it rather hard.

Maybe you have a different set up to mine and the other guys that have bought their Jab as a factory build but this appears to be the norm for these fittings from the factory.

Kev

EDMO Asia Pacific :: Products :: Quality And Excellence...What ever it takes

Have a look at this site and look under swithes relays and mounts. Just wondering if you could install this panel lock to your unit. It would make it so much easier to get in and out because I quite often have to take it home to update the software. Can not understand why Jabiru would not put this in''''''''''''.

Clear Prop sells those Panel Docks but here is what I did with the Avmap in my CT and it cost me nothing.

First what it looks like:

[ATTACH]8650.vB[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]8651.vB[/ATTACH]

The Avmap comes with a back plate that has a knee strap through it.

Remove the knee strap and cut a hole in the panel big enough for the Avmap and to allow you to mount the backing plate onto the rear of the panel

Secure the backing plate to the panel

Run a power lead through a switch and Fuse/Circuit Breaker to the backing plate and stick it through the top of the backing plate

Mount the external aerial on top of the panel under the screen and run the lead into the panel and again out through the hole at the top of the backing plate

You can now clip the Avmap in and out of the panel

Hope this helps!

140877813_Panel003.jpg.20031ff4c5554c3e4c6e51e74b9ad51a.jpg

1296154777_Panel015.jpg.bac8599b6c77f2a1d2fbedb85c8500e9.jpg

Guest Baysidelad

Thanks

Great info guys. Thanks for the advice re the possible changes to the AVMAP installation. I will have a look at it all over the next few months to see what I can do about it. Keep those great ideas coming and all that help flowing through cyberspace to a newby like me.

Kev:thumb_up: