Trip to Busselton...... and I didn't get lost hehe

Guest Brett Campany

Guest Brett Campany

Well, it was a perfect day for flying! It was a bugger of a drive to get to Bunbury, 2 and a half hours of driving and we finally made it just before 10am. Had a good chat with the guys at the Bunbury Flying School before pre-flighting the Sportcruiser for the run to Busselton and then Collie? I had a chat with one of the instructors about a bit of a change in the flight plan. Still wanted to head to Busselton to pick Mum up and take her for a 30 minute flight but after that, the wife and I planned on heading direct to Collie then overhead Collie, turn and track for Bunbury. He gave me the green light and we were off.

Conditions were looking good, there was a 3kt south easterly on the ground increasing to 10kts at 3000ft. Cloud base was at about 3500ft to 3700ft.

We departed from downwind climbing to 2500 ft for the smooth 20 flight to Busselton. Already I could hear a few aircraft in the Busselton CTAF which was the same freq. as Bunbury. There was a Skippers Embraer Brasilia doing circuits and it sounded like he'll be in the circuit for a while.

I made my 10nm call and the Bras, XUD, responded advising me of his intentions to conduct training for the next hour or so.... poor bugger. I responded with my intentions of joining a long final and will fit in around him. 2nm out he was lining up and getting ready for another take off to practice missed approaches.

So we ended up getting in and meeting Mum who was nervously waiting to head up with me. After a few happy snaps it was a 30 minute flight over Busselton and the Busso Jetty, coastal run to check out the houses and a bit of whale watching..... the buggers were hiding so maybe next time!

Coming back to Busselton airport we were in constant communications with XUD who was doing non standard right hand circuits. Easy, I'll just come in behind him. But there was another twin doing RNav approaches maintaining 2500ft who just refused to talk to me. That's another story.

Mum had an awesome 30 minutes and it was great to see that she really enjoyed it, mind you she didn't want a part in actually flying the aircraft but that was ok. I'm just glad she had a good time.

So it was time for the wife and I to track direct to Collie, on take off we maintained the circuit and then climbed to 3500ft and head for the hills. It was a 45nm run but half way through, the wife's empty tummy decided to play it rough and start going round in circles. Right away we descended to smoother air and tracked direct to Bunbury which wasn't to far away.

So in all we still had a great time, logged 1.8hrs all up and it was just great to get back into the Sportcruiser. But I have to admit, I've been spoilt in being able to fly the Fly Synthesis Texan over the last couple of months because the Sportcruiser just didn't come close to matching up with the Texan. Again, that's another story.

To top it all off, it took us about 4 hours to come home after checking out a few blocks of land to buy....... not even going to bore you with that story.

So here's a few photos from a brilliant day out.

Till next time!

Getting strapped in

One of these days I'll remember to take my wallet out before I get in the aircraft.

Ready to go

Mixing it with the big boys VH-XUD (good thing I had that radio eh?)

Departure

After the flight.... no need for the spew bag, gotta be happy with that!

Guest Walter Buschor

Hi Brett,

sounds you had a great day. I would have thought that the SportCruiser would be as good as it gets. I've always thought they're the very best but you thought you where spoilt by the Texan . A friend of mine keeps raving on about the Texan too. Guess I'll have to try one for myself to see what all the fuss is about.

safe flying

the grey Nomad

Guest Maj Millard

Great story Brett, you covered a lot of bases there, including a bit of com drama. Thats a pretty classy looking machine, aren't we lucky to be flying such nice aircraft.(relative to what we used to fly in the early days I mean !) You are a lucky man flying your Mum and significant other on the same day. You don't look much like you'r Mum do you ?!............................and oh , great photos also.bounce.gif.3516b5f7197d1d6889168640af67e2f6.gif

Guest Brett Campany

Cheers for that fellas! Walter, you'll love the Texan mate, it's a beautiful aircraft to fly!

And you're right Major, they're a huge difference to what aircraft used to be years ago. I think I've said it before, my first ultralight experience was about 20 years ago in a Thruster T500 and that was just pure fun. The aircraft these days are just amazing and only going to get better.

Oh and yeah, spitting image of the old lady....... very scary! :thumb_up:

Guest mike_perth

I was going to point out that your a spitting image but thought you'd prob heard that a million times!

Guest Brett Campany
I was going to point out that your a spitting image but thought you'd prob heard that a million times!

Oh just a few times!

Guest Maj Millard

Brett, about looking for blocks of land, are you talking acres or just a house block ?. Take it from me, if your talking acres make damn sure you can put a good strip on it !!. I went looking back in 2000, and ended up with a very nice 5 acre block that we now really love. But I can't physically put a strip on it, and I regret that all the time. Just the money saved on hangarage over the years, would have paid for that block by now !!.

I visit friends who have strips on thier land, and I am generally green with envy. I do have a cane loading area that I can land on close to my house, and although it is always a very enjoyable landing and take off (solo only) it's not mine, and just not the same. I am now keeping my eye out for a bit of dirt that I can put a strip on.

Sit down with the missus and talk it out if necessary, Ya NEED an airstrip Brett.

:rilla:

Guest Maj Millard

Hey I've got the acreage but just couldn't bring myself to knock down all the lovely

tropical bush, even if I could talk the missus into it !

:rilla::rilla::rilla::rilla:

Guest Brett Campany
Brett, about looking for blocks of land, are you talking acres or just a house block ?. Take it from me, if your talking acres make damn sure you can put a good strip on it !!. I went looking back in 2000, and ended up with a very nice 5 acre block that we now really love. But I can't physically put a strip on it, and I regret that all the time. Just the money saved on hangarage over the years, would have paid for that block by now !!.I visit friends who have strips on thier land, and I am generally green with envy. I do have a cane loading area that I can land on close to my house, and although it is always a very enjoyable landing and take off (solo only) it's not mine, and just not the same. I am now keeping my eye out for a bit of dirt that I can put a strip on.

Sit down with the missus and talk it out if necessary, Ya NEED an airstrip Brett.

:rilla:

For now Major the plan is just a block for a house but the area we've looked at will give us the opportunity to look at descent sized rural blocks with the top priority being a landing strip!! Even got the approval from the wife to do so!

It'll happen mate, might take a couple of years but I promise, it'll happen!

Blocks of land. One thing worth knowing. When you retire the government can deem that land more than 5 acres you own is income producing. This doesn't apply if you own it 20 years so get in early if you have any thought of getting a pension from the government.

Sadly my block is only 400m long with a creek through the middle of it and I dont fly a Savannah.

• 2 weeks later...

Bald heads?

Brett lucky you're not bald like me... I'd cook under that huge canopy of plexiglass. The "Cruisers" around here (Qld) have a painted on sunshield on the canopy. I chose a high wing for that very reason, not to mention a lot of other reasons like room, baggage space, range and speed. Very nioce aircraft though and beautifully built.

Wags.

Guest Brett Campany
Brett lucky you're not bald like me... I'd cook under that huge canopy of plexiglass. The "Cruisers" around here (Qld) have a painted on sunshield on the canopy. I chose a high wing for that very reason, not to mention a lot of other reasons like room, baggage space, range and speed. Very nioce aircraft though and beautifully built.Wags.

Cheers Wags, yeah she still gets pretty toasty in the cabin. There's a sunshield that they bought but never fitted so on warm days I just settle for a hat and sunscreen.