Jabiru and avionics

Hello,

Iam looking to purchase a jabiru 230D with Option 3 Flight and Engine instruments.

This would bring the total cost of the Jab to approx $115,000.00, as per the latest Order form, however, I decided to research the costs of some of the instruments and if I were to purchase the Dynon EFIS D100, Dynon EMS D10, AVMap Ek IV from the US I would save over $8000 AUD. (not insubstantial!!)

Now, I understand that there will be installation costs involved but surely not to the tune of $8000.

My question to you is what are my options here. E.g. Buy basic jab with large fascia and install these instruments by a qualified person later.031_loopy.gif.e6c12871a67563904dadc7a0d20945bf.gif

Any ideas??

grey options.

Firstly good on you for doing this.

I have been looking at the stratomaster oddesey $2500 dollar saving if brought in South Africa.

After talking to the manufacturer he thinks that the Australian price is good at $7300 but says that I probably wouldn't get support locally if I imported one.

Then the next question came up is it a dealer or factory warranty , if it is a factory you should get support worldwide (but we have all learnt differently). I still haven't had a response yet.

Saving rapidly to buy one here.

ps. US dollar and UK pound are almost the same as the Au dollar.

Cheers

Tigerfish,

I have just ordered an Odyssey for my Lightning at a cost of just over $7300.00. I researched for nearly 1 year before making my decision. I spoke with such notables as ROM, BrentC and Seal, all members on this site. In the end I settled on the Odyssey after speaking to and emailing Bernard at Asia Pacific Light Flying. I suggest that you give Bernard a ring, his number is shown in his advert in the latest RAA magazine.

At the end of the day you must make the decision and be satisfied that you have covered all bases. Happy research days.

Install of a Dynon (or any other) EMS is a lot of work

I spent around $2500 plus heaps of my time to upgrade a panel including a D180

Keep in mind an avionics guy will charge somewhere like $80+ per hour

Id guess it could cost $5K for the entire job, but its a guess.

Dynon support is a strange one, I think Jabiru buy from US anyway so not sure how much support they offer ex Bundaburg, Dynon support even ex USA is very good. They have a great forum and they answer usually the same day.

Not that much goes wrong once they are setup and running

I did an full panel upgrade, and it found would be easier to start again. Id reckon others have had customs panels built, so maybe Jabiru are prepared to help. You could have someone else build a panel complete with your gear, and have it installed up there. Jab might be happy to do engine stuff for you.

(You dont have to have analog at all if you want saving more $$$

For my 2 cents worth, go with a D100 on L, D120 on R, normal instrument stack in centre, inc Garmin 396 in proper mount, icom or Garmin radio, leave room for or fit Garmin transponder. Fit a row of lights for engine backup - low oil pressure, high oil temp, charge, fuel pressure etc along the top

This will all fit in small panel. Large panel I find cramps the legs a fair bit if you are tall.)

Id have thought Jabiru would be very helpfull if you are buying a plane from them ask them?

JR

Thrilled and Confused!!

Wow, wasn't expecting such great and quick replies. Thanks very much for the information.

Did some quick research on the Stratomaster Odyssey and I am very much impressed with it.

I think it would be my EFIS of choice especially as you can now pick one up for USD$3600.

But still somewhat confused. Is the Odyssey certified for RA registration?

Does it need to be RA certified for plane to be RA certified?

Where can I see one of these glass panels in action that is close Ballina?

Questions,Questions,Questions????

"The Only stupid question is the one you don't ask"

It is not certified but be aware that that Powers to be at the Jabiru factory won't allow one in thier certified 24 rego plane it would have to be 19 reg.

Trust me I asked if I could put a stratomaster in a 160 with toe brakes and the answer was NO.

The Dynon as I belive is not certified either.

cheers

Dont get crossed up with certified and TSO'd

Neither would be TSO'd, but you dont neded that in RAA

In a factory built 24 registered the manufacturer has to certify the modification

If Jab say No them thats it.

Mine is 19 reg so can pretty much do what you like.

JR

Is it correcty that Jabiru can prevent you putting anything in your factory built plane. I was under the impression that you could install whatever you like in GA or RAAus planes, but it would be over and abov the original equipment. So buy a Jab with the absolute minimum and add whatever you want. Of course if you do that with GA, you can't use the extras for IFR without them being approved.