Regular Unleaded in 912

Guest basscheffers

Premium in one country is regular in the other! In Europe (where these things are built) you can't buy anything less than 95...

Could that be the confusion?

Guest Crezzi

Go on the RON (Research Octane Number) - 912 needs minimum RON of 90 and 912S needs minimum of 95.

In Aus, basic unleaded is RON 91 hence perfectly adequate for 912 but the 912S needs to use premium unleaded which has a RON of 95.

Hope that helps

John

I spoke with Wal at Bert Floods awhile back after i had my XT in there for a 500hrs service and the carbys to be balanced as it started to idle a wee bit rough.

Wal had asked me what fuel i had been running and I told him to which he replied, hmm thats why i had to replace your idle jets then.

I had been using a major brand 98 octane for quite some time (you find the things on the beach, this is the brand without disclosing the company for obvious reasons).

He told me there and then to only run standard regular unleaded as that is what these 80hp 912.s run best on.

The reason not to run this brand is that the additives in this type of fuel affect the inner lining on the fuel tank when exposed to sunlight thus creating a waxy type film that will get past the fuel filter to a degree and block the idle jets. mind you he also stated that this only affects the clear tanks and if my tank was black poly this would not be a problem.

I have used this same brands regular unleaded since without anymore problems, I also conducted an ethanol test on the regular unleaded and was pleased to find this brand has no ethanol in its fuel.

Just my 20 cents worth.

Cheers

Alf

Thanks All, That has helped.

Alf, what is the process for getting a ethanol test done. Is there any other way to find out if ethanol is added? I checked out the MSDS's for each at Caltex online and the ingredients for both Regular Unleaded (RON 91) and Premium Unleaded (RON 95)are exactly the same and in the same proportions, so that didn't help.

Cheers

Les

One of the Jabiru AD's has a method:

• Using a clear jar of about 100-200 ml capacity (ideally a long and narrow jar) add about 10% by volume of water and mark the level of the water on the jar.• Add a sample of the fuel to be tested to the jar so that the relative volumes are about 10% water/90% fuel

• Shake the sample vigorously and then allow the sample to settle

• Check the level of the “water”

• If the level is the same as previously marked on the jar, no alcohol is present in the fuel.

• If the level of “water” increases, alcohol is present in the fuel

Graeme,

Spot on that is the method i used.

Bluey,

Just follow Graemes instructions as it is as simple as that, just make sure you mark the water level with a texta prior to adding the fuel as Graeme has noted.

Cheers

Alf