Shell Oil for Rotax 912s

Mick

Shell has had the AeroShell Sport Plus 4 oil specifically for the Rotax 912/914 series out for some time now.

Anyone out there using it? What are your thoughts on it, where are you buying it and what are you paying?

Thanks

Mick

Guest basscheffers

I use it in the Sporty's 912ULS. Hard to give real thoughts on it, just going on Shell and Rotax's recommendation. Running 100LL in it, something it is specifically designed for, helping the Rotax deal with lead.

Been running smooth enough...

G'day Mick,

I have been using the shell aerosport now for the last 2 oil changes in my 912 uls.

It seems quite good and have had no noticable changes from my previous shell vsx i used to use.

Wal at bert floods put me onto it and I purchase it through them @$12:00 a litre,

Not sure how you would go getting them posted to you as I think they are a DG and the cost might blow out a bit.

I pick mine up from them when I am down that way.

Cheers

Alf

Guest Cloudsuck

G'day Mick,

Yes I'm using it and have been for the past two oil changes. It is very thin and I, as well as others have reported higher oil consumption. I get it from Archerfield, can't remember how much I pay.

Next oil change I'm going back to Shell VSX 4. According to Richard Eacott (Rotax expert) it is the same stuff only a little thicker in weight. I can get VSX 4 from the local Shell servo but from memory it is a little more expensive.

G'day Mick,Yes I'm using it and have been for the past two oil changes. It is very thin and I, as well as others have reported higher oil consumption. I get it from Archerfield, can't remember how much I pay.

Next oil change I'm going back to Shell VSX 4. According to Richard Eacott (Rotax expert) it is the same stuff only a little thicker in weight. I can get VSX 4 from the local Shell servo but from memory it is a little more expensive.

what may i ask are you doing to get the motor to use oil, i have just on 1000hrs on the motor now, and i do the service, and drop it 50 hrs latter, nothing changes???

Guest Cloudsuck
what may i ask are you doing to get the motor to use oil, i have just on 1000hrs on the motor now, and i do the service, and drop it 50 hrs latter, nothing changes???

Just using AeroShell Sport Plus 4. Never used any oil before that.

Guest basscheffers
Just using AeroShell Sport Plus 4. Never used anything before that.

Compared to not using anything, it must have been a great improvement for you! 102_wasnt_me.gif.b4992218d6a9d117d3ea68a818d37d57.gif

When I previously used a Castrol oil which was at that time on the list approved by Rotax, my 912 ULS consumed some oil ( hopefully this terminology will avoid the wrath of basscheffers' humor:jump:).

Since switching to Shell VSX 4 it now goes through to the 50 hourly change without needing topping up. Go figure?!?!

Mick

Mick,

Can't answer why the castrol used oil and the shell did not, the only reason maybe is the different additives and detergents used in the oil.

When I was using the vsx I had no noticeable oil usage and it is the same with the aero shell at this stage, my motor has now 630 hrs on it.

I guess it just comes down to preference of what oil you want to use.

Cheers

Alf

Guest Maj Millard

Exactly alf, what we should be doing is reporting on who's useing what, and hows it all going. For instance a few of us up here, and a couple of hard working Storches in the bush are now on Valvolene Durablend 15W50, and everybody seems to be happy with it, plus it is readily available from normal outlets.

On my own 912uls I have developed a small oil leak that requires a wipe every 50 hrs or so, since going to the Valvolene. But otherwise I'm very happy with the oil, and the leak is not large enough for me to either pin down, or worry about at this point. I am on my second 50 with it.

As far as usage goes, every infernal combustion engine must use a little oil just by operating. The film of oil left on cylinder wall is burnt during combustion and is replaced. So for somebody to say that they don't use any oil between changes is incorrect.

Maj,

Yep valvoline is a good quality oil so I guess it is what our preference of oil to run and how easy it is to obtain the oils, I guess as long as we use a reputable brand and not a no name oil we all should be fine, to a degree oils are oils just with different additives in whether is be full synthetic a blend or minerals.

Cheers

Alf

Guest Walter Buschor

Hi Mick,

I've heard about the Shell Aviation oil. It is one of the oils recommended by Rotax on their website.

There are other options though and the shell VSX is one of them. The good thing about this oil is the choice of viscosity ie: 10/40 or 15/50. The aviation oil is 10/40 only - if my memory serves me right. Due to the hotter climate in Qld I prefer to use the VSX 15/50 as it is a little heavier. Oil consumption is for all practical purposes nil.

When looking up the shell website on oils the only difference seems to be that with aviation products the formula remains the same for consistency's sake. In the case of Motorbike / Car products the formula can change a little but the customer won't know about it.

It might be the same as with Mogas versus Avgas. With Avgas the formula is constant regardless of time of year , location or season. With Mogas on the other hand ajustments are made to seasonal changes.

I guess it gomes down to buyers preferences. I'm shure they perform their intended task equally well.

safe flying

the grey Nomad

Guest Cloudsuck
Maj,I guess as long as we use a reputable brand and not a no name oil we all should be fine, to a degree oils are oils just with different additives in whether is be full synthetic a blend or minerals.

Cheers

Alf

Not really Alf. Because Rotax engines have a gearbox, they need approved oil not just any oil, even if it is a reputable brand. They need a oil with an anit-foaming agent and suitable for wet clutch. Only the high end motorcycle oils contain this. Also, if you are going to run Avgas, you need a semi-synthetic oil only. Using your average car oil is not really the right option. I have see a low hour 912 ULS running with Castrol GTX Magnatec (friction modifiers), and guess what, sliping gearbox clutch.

OIL CONSUMPTION

Rotax recommend 6mls per hour. Maj is right, all engines burn some oil and if you are using a thiner oil like Aeroshell, it stands to reason tht they burn a little more. In an engine like Jabs, it is healthy to burn a little oil for upper cylinder lubrication. I think that is why once Jabs get over about 200 hours, you never seem to hear any of them with sticking exhaust valves etc.

Intersting discussion guys, I have just put another lot of Shell VSX 4 15w/50 in my Rotax, I have been happy with it so far.

Also had to get my service done by the weekend for the trip to Watts Bridge so no time to order the AeroShell Sport Plus 4.

From the comments here I don't think I will be in any hurry to change.

Cheers

Mick

Any car engine oil.

The time when a straight engine oil would be suitable for a gearbox is long gone. IF your old car recommended engine oil in the gearbox, you will find that very few of the oils available today will meet the specification. Friction modifiers don't help clutches to grip either. The Shell aero oil , for the Rotax, is similar to superbike 4, (which was suitable for the Rotax). You would have to be sure that any oil you use, (synthetic or otherwise) was suitable for the Rotax gearbox. Some oils that are listed overseas as suitable may have a different specification in australia. I would clear ALL oils with Rotax. The gearbox is more the problem than the engine. Nev

Guest Maj Millard

Mick, as I remember Shell VSX was a recommended and well used oil before Castrol GPS became the oil to use....round in circles here ??.....

And Alf, yes the old Castrol Magnatec is a huge trap for the 912 owner. They used to put it next to the GPS, who could resist those little synthetically fortified balls on the label. Unfortunatly those little balls had teflon in them, which promptly contaminated the sprague starter clutch and made the likes of me a lot of money, as it was around a $2000 job to fix !!......................

The Rotax recent Service bulliten clearly spells out what oils are acceptable and those that are not.................................................024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Maj,

Yep GPS was the Castrol that I was not very happy with, then the blend was changed and Rotax removed it from their approved list. That was when I switched to the Shell VSX. I used the GPS because of easy availability, ie local Supercheap Auto.

Prior to the Castrol I was using Motul 5100 which I was very happy with but then that spec also changed and was removed from the Rotax list.068_angry.gif.cc43c1d4bb0cee77bfbafb87fd434239.gif

Mick

Guest Cloudsuck
Maj,Yep GPS was the Castrol that I was not very happy with, then the blend was changed and Rotax removed it from their approved list. That was when I switched to the Shell VSX. I used the GPS because of easy availability, ie local Supercheap Auto.

Prior to the Castrol I was using Motul 5100 which I was very happy with but then that spec also changed and was removed from the Rotax list.068_angry.gif.cc43c1d4bb0cee77bfbafb87fd434239.gif

Mick

Nice work Mick. I used to use that Motul in my bike over the years. It was good stuff but I thought it was 100% synth however, I cant remember exactly.

I'm going up to Watts as well. Will most likely go both days. Looking like a blow out on Saturday arvo though, 25kts.

Been using Aeroshell Sport Plus 4 for about the last 100 hours, seems to run out approx $13.50/litre (GST inc). I get it on carnet from the local fuel-farm, complete with release note (which go into the aircraft maintenance file). No complaints, it is a certified aviation-grade oil recommended for the 912 series engines. No gearbox problems either. Not going back to VSX.

A little on the "runny" side, but we've found nothing in the filters when we cut them open so it seems to be doing its job well. Nothing worth mentioning on the magnetic plug either.

In terms of the Rotax engine oil recommendation… the factory spec is somewhat basic and calls for quite an old lubricant design, which the majority of 4 stroke, wet clutch, motorcycle oils will meet… although I suggest you stick with what is supported by Rotax to be sure.

Looking at the AeroShell Sport Plus 4, it’s not hard to see this lubricant easily exceeds Rotax’s minimum requirements. Whilst the product seems to have the same spec as the Shell VSX 10w-40 it does have a higher claimed API “SL” specification (compared to VSX “SG” spec) which should mean better anti-wear and soot handling characteristic. Additionally it also has the Japanese JASO MA spec which means it’s not friction modified. Personally I wouldn’t hesitate to use the AeroShell Sport Plus 4 lubricants based on it technical profile and the audit process behind the Product Release Note.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Jack