Work experience :)

Guest Biggles Jr

Guest Biggles Jr

hey,

I live in Merimbula on the South Coast of NSW. I am 15 and have been learning to fly for 7 or 8 months now. I have 25 or so hours and I am in year 10 at school.

Soon I have to do work experience and being addicted to flying I want to do something to do with flying... Can anyone let me know of work experience that i can do... its been hard to find anything so any help would be appreciated... It also doesnt matter where in Australia

Thanks heaps

Ryan :big_grin:

G'day Ryan,

Have you spoken to Rex at Merimbula - the LAME not the airline. I know he used to accept work experience students, I took a couple of them flying a few years back after we'd been down there for an annual on our Sportstar.

I'm not sure what the RAAF allow these days, there wasn't a work experience program for years due to security/safety and any other reason they could come up with. I recall there was some discussion about it earlier this year, check out the Defence website for details. Almost exactly 20 years ago I did work experience at 1FTS at Point Cook, spent a couple of days with the pilot trainees going to briefs, flight planning etc. also spent a few days in the maintenance hangar "helping" with CT4 servicing...I also had my first CT4 flight that week...funny how things end up ;-)

PS> Say hi to Rex for me if you speak to him.

Hey Ryan,

The RAAF certainly do do work experience nowdays. every term they send an email to my school asking for applicants. (i am in year 11)

The time i applied the engineering spot git given to another school in the area 068_angry.gif.cc43c1d4bb0cee77bfbafb87fd434239.gif.

Cheers

James

I did a week of work experience RAAF in Canberra in 1988. Spent each day with a different section, aircraft maintenance, base security, photography section and a day with the fire fighters. Still remember blasting some dumy fires with the truck mounted water cannon:kboom:

I think the ASIC card has really made it much harder for kids to do work experience at airports...I did my work experience in the TAA hanger in Mount Isa. A tug pilot (tugger) with the local gliding club used to be one of the LAME's there. I had an amazing time...the Singapore Airforce just happened to pass through and have a couple of their F5 Tigers break down. The engineers repaired them in the hanger...was quite a sight.

I think a lot of the work experience programs seem to be failing in Qld highschools if my experience as the father of a teenager here is any indication...but then again...the kids these days have probably held down one or several jobs for the last 1-2 years anyway.

But nonetheless Biggles Jr...If you can find a small enough airport and stay away from the commercial airline airside area...I see no reason why you could not find work experience at an airport...or better still a casual job????

G'day Biggles Jr,

A friend of mine has a aircraft maintenance business in Toowoomba, and I know he sometimes has work experience kids there.

If you would like to know more, PM me and I'll get you some details.