Coolant for Rotax engines

Guest striker

Guest striker

At the 2009 Natfly, Steve Vette in his 2 stroke maintenance seminars spoke about a particular brand of coolant which he had found was better than most for the 2 stroke rotax. ( less corrosion). Would anybody who was there remember what he said? or has anyone else got a recommendation. I will be buying a new 582 for my Thruster soon so would like to start off on the right track. Cheers........Phil

Coolant for 582.

You can drive yourself whacky with this subject. I don't believe that corrosion is much of a problem in 582's, and I have seen some pretty old ones. IF there is seepage of combustion gases across the head face, these gases will contaminate ANY coolant and make it corrosive. Always use PURE water with your additive, (not with EVANS as it is waterless) and don't mix brands. IF you don't want to waste money, just use Castrol Corrosion inhibitor and PURE water, unless you operate in below freezing ambients where you would have to use the ethylene glycol type mixes to give protection against freezing. Glycol is very penetrating and corrosion can occurr in mixes of it without a good inhibitor. Them's my thoughts. Nev

I seem to remember Tony (TOSG) taliking about this subject some time ago. He mentioned some problems of coolant entering the engine via the rotary valve and damaging the engine. I belive he traced the problem down to the brand of coolant being used that had some type of abrasive quality to it that damaged the seals.

Might pay to resarch the the Thruster bullitins and see what they have to say on the subject.

Ozzie

• 2 weeks later...
He mentioned some problems of coolant entering the engine via the rotary valve and damaging the engine. I belive he traced the problem down to the brand of coolant being used that had some type of abrasive quality to it that damaged the seals.Ozzie

Regarding the above, the problem was that people was using regular tap water with coolant that has silicate. The minerals in the regular water plus the silicate become abrasive and damage the seals on the rotary valve.

You can use what ever brand of Antifreeze & Coolant you want

BUT:

1) Do not use or mix it with regular tap water.

2) Make sure that the coolant you going to use in you 582 is phosphate-free and silicate-free formula.

3) Make sure to get the 50/50 Prediluted Antifreeze & Coolant thats is already pre-mixed with deionized water.

4) Havoline® DEX-COOL® Extended Life Anti-Freeze/Coolant meet all of the above

Here iare the Specs of the Havoline® DEX-COOL® Extended Life Anti-Freeze/Coolant

The patented carboxylate inhibitors in Havoline Extended Life provides unsurpassed cooling system protection, improved component durability and extraordinary extended life cooling capabilities for up to five years or 150,000 miles. Virtually all automobile and light-duty truck cooling systems can benefit from the increased cooling system protection of Havoline Extended Life. It meets European spec phosphate-free requirements and Japanese spec silicate-free requirements. Havoline Extended Life was also the first to earn GM's own DEX-COOL requirement approval. Havoline Extended Life Prediluted 50/50 can also be purchased by those who wish to have coolant already mixed with deionized water.

Good luck,

Isaac

• 5 weeks later...

Coolant

At the 2009 Natfly, Steve Vette in his 2 stroke maintenance seminars spoke about a particular brand of coolant which he had found was better than most for the 2 stroke rotax. ( less corrosion). Would anybody who was there remember what he said? or has anyone else got a recommendation. I will be buying a new 582 for my Thruster soon so would like to start off on the right track. Cheers........Phil

Hi I have aways used in my 582 and 618 rotax's for 10 years now a Organic long Life Coolant Called RCP made by PrixMax mixed at 7.5 percent it is not a anti Freeze but they do make a ant freeze product called MEG 95 my Uncle has always used Meg95 in his 912 ul but mixed it at 33 percent. We found after a bit of testing one day if you have to much percentage of glycol in the coolant mix the temp went up by 10 percent in his 912 light wing. But if you run glycol less then 30 percent you can run the rise of causing corrision it's just the nature of glycol at low levels. Most long life coolants only need to be replaced every 3 years so as normal old stuff you got to replace every 12 months. You mad not to use good coolants as the cost of rotax parts are prohibitive as you know.