PPL Passed and on we go..

Simonflyer

So originally I had planned to complete all my CPL's without doing the PPL and had in fact already started studying my MET CPLs, but after a bit of thought I decided to go for the PPL as well. I did this mainly so that i can go out and do some hours building going in and out of CTA as I please and also because I thought it would keep building on the knowledge base(and if im honest it needs building!)....

Today was exam day, and I went down to the Highett exam centre and was met by a VERY friendly french lady who's job it was to make sure Im not a cheating scumbag..She follows through with these checks with military precision yet still manages to crack jokes as if she was down the pub for a Sunday counter meal.

Anyway on with the test and some while later I hung my finger over the "submit test" button with a "did i miss something-do i know anything" feeling in my guts, but fortunately a pretty good pass was the result...

Now its on to the CPL stuff, and i doubt Il ease up, because to be honest as much as I like study, I like flying a lot more, and Ive made a deal with myself to get all the theory out of the way and then go hell for leather until Ive got my instructor rating...

p.s.

I just noticed in my logbook that Ive been flying for one year as of this month.

:thumb_up:

Heed this...

Do as I say, not as I do.. Keep ahead of your flying with the theory. If you are like me you leave it all till the last minute and then panic and cram. It has got me there but is far from ideal. I'm just b... lazy perhaps. Nev..

Thanks guys...

Facthunter..Im in the fortunate position of having absolutely no funds whatsoever:censored:, so even if i wanted to get ahead with the flying, Im stuck with the books..I do have to say that im actually enjoying it thus far..Ask me about 5 subjects into the CPL's but it seems like a blessing in disguise....

The plan is to finish all seven by the end of the year..Is that crazy?(Considering ive already done a fair bit on LAW HF and MET)..I can put plenty of time in as my job is part time and flexible until a bit later on in the year when a couple of other projects kick off

SF

Tell me more about the "Test Centre".

Well done Simonflyer...

My wife is also doing her PPL now she has about 175 hrs up with RAAus.

Can you help advise what the "Highett Test Centre" is about, 'cause all we are hearing from any GA flying school is that you must do the exams with us to qualify. That sounds a little doubtful having read your story.

Would appreciate any advice you can give... or anyone else got ideas on this?

Wags.

As far as i know plenty of schools have the ability to have you sit the Cyber exams at their school(maybe up to PPL only??), and it is a nice little earner for them, but the place i went to is called "tasman online" (aslexam.com), and they have a specific facilities to do the exams(Aus wide probably)..

Im not sure of the cost difference, and it is possible that it will be comparable or more expensive to do it where i did, but the school im learning hasnt got the cyber set-up just yet..

I hope that helps, and im sure someone will be able to fill the gaps i may have missed..

Well done Simonflyer... My wife is also doing her PPL now she has about 175 hrs up with RAAus.

Can you help advise what the "Highett Test Centre" is about, 'cause all we are hearing from any GA flying school is that you must do the exams with us to qualify. That sounds a little doubtful having read your story.

Would appreciate any advice you can give... or anyone else got ideas on this?

Wags.

ASL is exam contractor for CASA. From CASA site;

PPL-type Exams. The PPL exams are available at approximately 300 approved flying training schools throughout Australia, where the CFIs are the supervisors.

Professional Exams. CASA has delegated an independent company, Assessment Services Proprietary Limited (ASL) to supervise the professional (and PPL) exams in a number of cities and towns throughout Australia. Professional exams are those for the CPL, ATPL, Flight Engineer licence and various ratings.

More on bookings for professional exams may be found at the ASL website.

Highett is one of the ASL examination centres in MEL.

More info here Civil Aviation Safety Authority - Exams

Scott