PNDs moving maps

Robert

Hi All

Just purchased a 7" PND off ebay installed OziExplorerCE and a WAC chart from Maptrax

all seems pretty good althought havent tried it in the aircraft yet. Will do if this XXXXty windy weather every goes away!!!!

My question is, what maps do you people with experiance with these devices recommend

Maybe WAC maps are the best way to go Maybe not whats your advice ????

Cheers 040_nerd.gif.a6a4f823734c8b20ed33654968aaa347.gif

Guest Mad Dave

I have WAC charts loaded in mine, as well as VTC and VNC charts, and switch between them as necessary (I have set up buttons for more or less detailed maps in the screen design). The thing I really love is the map on the GPS matches the map on your lap, so it is really easy to confirm where you are in relation to your planned route.

I concur - map changing is automatic when you reach the edge of a map. You can also set options to change to more/less detailed maps if there are multiple maps for the same location i.e. VTC/VNC/WAC/ERC etc.

I've been using OziExplorer for about 4 years and love it...especially the export to Google Earth component, great to be able to take your track(s) and load them in Google Earth.

Guest Mad Dave

I am using some no-name cheapy from Ebay (which works fine), I am not too sure about the direct sunlight though, as I usually "tape" it to the control yoke, so it is protected from sunlight.

Dave

Unit in bright light

Hi

The unit I purchased off ebay

7" GPS Navigation HD LCD 3D LANDMARK MAP + BLUETOOTH FM - eBay, GPS, Electronics. (end time 22-Sep-09 22:00:49 AEST)

works quite good and was easy enough to load Ozexplorer on it

One thing I was XXXXed of about is the fact it was advertised to have an external aerial plug but did'nt.

As with all these type of screens, it is useless in bright light.

Seems OK in the aircraft cockpit though.

Cheers

I've been using OziExplorer for about 4 years and love it...especially the export to Google Earth component, great to be able to take your track(s) and load them in Google Earth.

Matt, how do you export to Google Earth?

Guest Mad Dave

Tracktop,

The other thing is, that with OziExplorer's ability to load any sort of maps, you can use it for 4WDing, or in the boat, or whatever.

D.

Ray, have you thought about just using the Navman (unlocked) with OziExplorer etc.? Or is that what you're using now?Cheers

Dexter

My Navman (S300T) is required for daily use and has live traffic so I didn't want to chance bricking it without a suitable replacement available. If someone here has unlocked this model successfully then I may chance it.

Still in Solo training mode so haven't really needed moving map YET. Using and old Garmin 60 but doesn't have enough memory for a useful map