Townsville Airshow a huge success.......

Guest Maj Millard

Guest Maj Millard

Despite a lingering dust haze all week, the Townsville 'skyshow' went off on Saturday with spectacular results. Thousands lined the beach foreshore of the 'strand' to witness the USAF Thunderbirds perform their faultless precision formation aerobatics. This is the only show this year in Australia, in their busy performance schedual. They had come from their last show in Hawaii, and will leave Townsville tomorrow for the next show in Guam. No doubt their two large C-17s will be carrying many cartons of our local amber fluid, when they leave. The F111 also showed what it could do, and uncerimoniosly did two or three daylight 'dump and burns' during the routine. Two other F111s performed a dual 'dump and burn' just after dark, to kick off a large very impressive fireworks show.

A routine by an F-18 Hornet was also very impressive, and others by a USAF C-17 Globemaster, C-130 Herc, DC-3, Army helicopters and others thrilled the crowd throughout the afternoon. Around 80 thousand + witnessed the show, whilst relaxing along the beach forshores.

Sunday morning saw local UL pilots up at 5 AM, to make it for the 6.30 takeoff, for the trip through Class C airspace into the Townsville airbase. Despite a bit of dust haze, and the odd bit of early morning turbulance, six ULs consisting of a Lightwing, two Gazelles, and three trikes landed uneventfully at Townsville, after transiting over the city. We then positioned our aircraft in the generous assigned RAA area, and were joined by a Jabaru J420, and two powered parachutes that were already at the airport. There was easily enough room in the area for another four or so aircraft.

Thousands of locals and visitors also attended on the Sunday, and most military aircraft including the Thunderbirds and the Roulettes were on static display, with inside access available through most of the larger aircraft, plus cockpit tours of the Hornet and F111s.

There was endless interest shown in the Uls displayed, and all of the pilots spent most of the day handing out brochures, and generally promoting our sport. I can report that public interest in our aircraft doesn't seem to be a problem up this way, with particular interest noted from the newer generations, (young folk). I was happy to recieve a visit from our own Farri with his wife Francis, who had come down from Cairns for the big weekend. I can report that Farri looks as good as I have ever seen him, now that he has relieved himself of his general cane farm duties. Also noted as attending were Rod Tyson of Fly Synthyises, and Sue Woods from the Jab factory, with the factory demonstrator VH-PNP. Our mass departure at 3.30 pm into a steady 10 kts along the runway, was witnessed by hundreds of people still present, and was off the main 01 runway, with a return along the same VFR flight route as the one we took in the morning. Our presence should provide a great boost for ULs locally, and was made possible by a special exemption issued by local CASA, to allow us to transit Class C airspace without the normal requirements. Many thanks to those who made the extra effort to make this happen, including Chris Ungermann our Nth Qld RAA rep who also spent his day activley promoting RAAus................................................................The Maj 024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Hey Maj,Got to agree,realy was a great airshow,Fran,myself and two local friends of ours who came down with us had a front row seat on the beach of the strand and saw it all from begining to the fireworks,very impresive and it was amazing to see the huge number of people who were there also.

For everyone out there,I can tell you Maj`s Lightwing does real credit to our sport and the RAA,he`s got it looking a real treat,I was impressed at the number of people taking photos of it and Maj himself is looking better than I`ve ever seen him.

I say thanks to Maj and others who took the time and effort to display their aircraft and promote Recreational aviation.:thumb_up:

Cheers,

Frank.

Despite a lingering dust haze all week, the Townsville 'skyshow' went off on Saturday with spectacular results. Thousands lined the beach foreshore of the 'strand' to witness the USAF Thunderbirds perform their faultless precision formation aerobatics. This is the only show this year in Australia, in their busy performance schedual. They had come from their last show in Hawaii, and will leave Townsville tomorrow for the next show in Guam. No doubt their two large C-17s will be carrying many cartons of our local amber fluid, when they leave. The F111 also showed what it could do, and uncerimoniosly did two or three daylight 'dump and burns' during the routine. Two other F111s performed a dual 'dump and burn' just after dark, to kick off a large very impressive fireworks show.A routine by an F-18 Hornet was also very impressive, and others by a USAF C-17 Globemaster, C-130 Herc, DC-3, Army helicopters and others thrilled the crowd throughout the afternoon. Around 80 thousand + witnessed the show, whilst relaxing along the beach forshores.

Sunday morning saw local UL pilots up at 5 AM, to make it for the 6.30 takeoff, for the trip through Class C airspace into the Townsville airbase. Despite a bit of dust haze, and the odd bit of early morning turbulance, six ULs consisting of a Lightwing, two Gazelles, and three trikes landed uneventfully at Townsville, after transiting over the city. We then positioned our aircraft in the generous assigned RAA area, and were joined by a Jabaru J420, and two powered parachutes that were already at the airport. There was easily enough room in the area for another four or so aircraft.

Thousands of locals and visitors also attended on the Sunday, and most military aircraft including the Thundersbirds and the Roulettes were on static display, with inside access available through most of the larger aircraft, plus cockpit tours of the Hornet and F111s.

There was endless interest shown in the Uls displayed, and all of the pilots spent most of the day handing out brochures, and generally promoting our sport. I can report that public interest in our aircraft doesn't seem to be a problem up this way, with particular interest noted from the newer generations, (young folk). I was happy to recieve a visit from our own Farri with his wife Francis, who had come down from Cairns for the big weekend. I can report that Farri looks as good as I have ever seen him, now that he has relieved himself of his general cane farm duties. Also noted as attending were Rod Tyson of Fly Synthyises, and Sue Woods from the Jab factory, with the factory demonstrator VH-PNP. Our mass departure at 3.30 pm into a steady 10 kts along the runway, was witnessed by hundreds of people still present, and was off the main 01 runway, with a return along the same VFR flight route as the one we took in the morning. Our presence should provide a great boost for ULs locally, and was made possible by a special exemption issued by local CASA, to allow us to transit Class C airspace without the normal requirements. Many thanks to those who made the extra effort to make this happen, including Chris Ungermann our Nth Qld RAA rep who also spent his day activley promoting RAAus................................................................The Maj 024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Would be nice if you could let us gyro people know in the future and maybe we can get a couple of our machines in the fold, i really dont mind what people fly as long as they have fun.

Guest Maj Millard

Bones, We sort of got the aircraft listed about a month ago as we had to submit it to the show organizers, and CASA for approval well ahead of time. The fact that this one has been a huge success will only lead to more events in the future. We will certainly include more aircraft and types next time, and I'll note your interest for future inclusion. The more types, the more interesting for sure.............................024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

What a weekend! Just got back to Perth after enjoying the fantastic airshow on Saturday and display on Sunday. Saw the Thunderbirds practicing on Friday, and it wasn't looking great with all the smoke and dust in the air (couldn't see them above about 3000'), but thank goodness it cleared enough for an amazing display on Saturday.

Can't pick a single "best in show" moment - the Thunderbirds were awesome, especially the "low and slow" pass by a single F-16. The Hornet was probably the show stealer, such amazing maneuverability (and it was just an "A/B" model, can't wait to see our own supers!) The skydivers were, well, put simply, quite mad - if I approached my landings like that, I don't reckon I'd be walking away!!

Probably my highlight for the weekend was watching the Roulettes landing on Friday afternoon. Had a great vantage point at my old man's business just off the end of the runway - the Roulettes approached the runway in formation, then over the threshold peeled off to the left one by one for a 360 degree turn to land - each one making the turn just that little bit wider/longer to come in one after the other. Beautiful.

Sunday, wow! What amazing access to our Aussie aircraft and the Thunderbirds. Pilots, maintainers and crew were all out sharing their enthusiasm of flying. The new MRH90 helicopters were something to behold. And it was just so casual - no overwhelming security ... plenty of people in thongs and tshirts. While the aircraft were very spreadout (Thunderbirds and Roulettes on one side of the runway, everything else on the other), it was a good way of keeping the crowds thinned.

And well done to our guys for showing off our sport and your aircraft. The crowds certainly were having a good look throughout the day :-)

Photos to follow ...

Guest Maj Millard

Didn't get a chance to hook up with you Flyinghigh as the prev week, and the weekend were all pretty busy for me. I was on the beach Saturday not far from where the jumpers touched down, so we must have been close ! Glad you could make it over, and yes the airshow was just great. All the UL participants are jazzed with how well things went, and I'm sure it will get a mention in the next RAAus mag. The impromptue Roulettes show on Sunday was pretty impressive also. Great photos, thanks for posting them, I took a few also but the mini foxy has chewed on my download lead. Doh' Cheers for now ..............Maj..........................................................

Guest Maj Millard

Sitting at the computer Monday morning and there is a lot of departures going on after the big weekend. An F-111 just blasted overhead on full Afterburner, as if to say see ya. Bit sad really as they are soon to go the way of the old Caribou. Two F-18s also just departed, both also on full AB. Haven't heard the Thunderbirds go yet though. The airshows not over yet folks !...............024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Guest Maj Millard

Thunderbird Update, An article in todays (Tue) Townsville paper shows the Tbird pilots diving yesterday on the Great barrier Reef, and relaxing on the dive boat. Seems a Cat 3 tropical storm over Guam has delayed their departure...apparently !!.

They may just REALLY like our amber fluid and local hospitality. Gee wonder if we can get another show out of them ??...I mean they have to keep their hand in during all this R&R time.............................................024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Guest Maj Millard

I was totally impressed by the public interest in all our aircraft on Sunday. It just didn't let up all day !!....Finally around 2.30 I just had to close the doors, as the daughter and I needed to relax a bit for our 3.30 departure............................024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Bones, We sort of got the aircraft listed about a month ago as we had to submit it to the show organizers, and CASA for approval well ahead of time. The fact that this one has been a huge success will only lead to more events in the future. We will certainly include more aircraft and types next time, and I'll note your interest for future inclusion. The more types, the more interesting for sure.............................024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Maj,

No probs, i appreciate it, it just feel the more we can do for all types of Ul flying the better we all be accepted.

:rotary:

Guest Maj Millard

Thanks Dazza, We are all jazzed up here that it worked out so well. I helped many kids up into the cockpit, and I can only hope at least one of them might become a flyer one day because of it. ...............baby.gif.168ad10e40c5845c810810951ae4106c.gif