J230 trim control

compsci

The trim control on my J230 is somewhat difficult to move. I am considering added some sort of attachment to it to give me more leverage. Has anyone modified their trim control by possibly making it longer or just easier to move?

The trim control on my J230 is somewhat difficult to move. I am considering added some sort of attachment to it to give me more leverage. Has anyone modified their trim control by possibly making it longer or just easier to move?

There was a discussion here a year or so ago about a mod to make the lever more central at neutral trim .......... but yours must have a problem that you need to investigate, as they are not overly hard to move on mine or any others that I have flown.

While the description "difficult to move" is difficult to quantify, if yours is stiff or hard to move when on the ground, there might be another issue in the mechanism or cable that you need to chase.

Apparantly the mechanisim near the tail can get dirty. Remove the cover and have a look, be aware this cover may be full of lead shot stuck there for W&B

Mine needs cleaning, its on the list.

JR

There are multiple problems associated with trim on J230/430s. I modified mine in stages. Some of the problems relate to inadequate foreward trim for which there are a couple of well published fixes. I consider the trim lever to be another Jabistical mistake. I have grafted an aluminium extension with woodedn knob onto the trim lever which brings the control backward and upwards and makes it much easier on my short arms. If you wish I can take a photo of it for you although it was a verry basic modification and I am sure that you could think up something similar yourself. You can of course check the tension of the friction bushes and keep everything well lubricated which also helps.

This 230/400 trim problem has been around for a while now. My trip lever will not go to the full forward position in flight. infact about 2 inches short of full forward compared to on the ground.

Other owners have trimmed off some of the two overhanging pieces on the elevator to fix the problem. I will not do this as I was told that the elevator extentions are for safety and will keep the plane from a dive if elevator control is lost for whatever reason, also illegal in factory built.

I find that on some trips that the trim works well at the full forward position, other times not. I suspect that the loading i.e fuel, passenger and luggage makes the difference here.

I overcome the problem by nosing down slightly and moving the trim lever, hard to do with one hand though.

I thought about attaching another lever to the trim to get more leverage as suggested, but its only a cable and some screws into fibre glass that holds it all together so not going there. I have done 200 hours now and have gotten used to the problem albiet with a sore thumb.

I guess that if Jabiru built a 230/400 for 120K it would have a trim wheel and other mods like toe brakes and such.

But as it stands (except for cold weather starting) I am very happy and reckon its value for money.

My thoughts.

Phil.

pduthoit...my Jabiru cost at least that amount.

Anyhow good design does not have to be expensive.

The trim control would not get a passing grade in

my class at Northwestern University.