Bob Tait BAK

Wanted: Bob Tait BAK

Hi all,

Now that my hideous law exams are done (yay!) I'm going to start cracking on with my flying theory. I have the ATC set but sometimes find the ATC BAK a little hard to understand (perhaps because I am not particularly scientifically/mechanically minded)..the chapter about aircraft general knowledge is currently doing my head in...

I've heard the Bob Tait BAK book is highly recommended, so I figured I might look into getting it as well and using both.

So, my question is, does anyone out there have a Bob Tait BAK that they're finished with and wouldn't mind selling to me (perhaps for mates rates? 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif)....but yeah, anyone got a Bob Tait BAK that they don't want anymore?

Guest Brett Campany

Bob Tait's books are great. Don't think I would've passed my BAK without them.

I had the ATC books and found the same problem, very hard to understand.

Darky, My instructor has just recently got onto a guy doing absolutely fantastic manuals for all aspects of flying... He and his wife have written these up and they are honestly the best I've seen and looked through, so good in fact that I bought the Nav/Met manual even though I had finished those exams... just a very refreshing and easily understood book... He also includes a range of practice exams for each manual/subject. (As Brett Campany would know)

The nav manual also includes complete practice maps, exams, flight planning check lists, a whole little book on explaining Notams, and weather forecasts, Color cloud charts, Navigation and fuel plan blanks and load planning charts - master for copying, there is stacks of stuff included... I definitely wouldn't go past this book. Very decent prices also for what you get...

Written by Jan and Val Dyson-Holland and Edited by David Eyre.

Their phone number is: (02) 4325 0072 email: valdhts at aapt dot net dot au

I think he has written - Radio procedures, BAK, Nav/Met, Human Factors, and he is working on a RAA to PPL conversion manual too... can't wait for that one!

:thumb_up:

The consensus is that ATC is more in depth but BT covers the important bits without the guff. BT also has lots of multi guess questions similar to the exam which is really good. I've got both and prefer BT.

Incidentally if you are planning to go on and do PPL make sure you do PPL BAK or you will be doing it again like I had to which is a drag

Bob Tait books come up on eBay quite often. If you have patients set up a search and wait.

Scott

Tomo, how much are these magic books, do you know?

Not real sure about the others, but my Nav/met was $70, Good price for what you get I reckon!

I've shot him an email, so I'll let you know what I come up with...

I'm going to do the PPL BAK (since I eventually intend to get a PPL as well), will these books work for that or are they written for the RAA BAK?

By the sound of it, I'll definitely be getting the Nav/Met book when I do my X-Country endorsement, but if the BAK book is just for RAA maybe I should go with Bob Tait....any opinions?

Guest Brett Campany

I'd recommend doing the PPL BAK first up. Apparently it's a little easier but that's how I did it and got through it pretty well!

It's easier? I thought the RAA one was easier because it didn't have so much on performance or loading or something....apparantly I'm mistaken?

(If it's easier, why does anyone do the RAA one if the PPL one counts as well? :raise_eyebrow:)

Technically speaking the BAK should be the same for both RAA and PPL... because they are all aeroplanes and all fly with wings and an engine...031_loopy.gif.e6c12871a67563904dadc7a0d20945bf.gif

I did the RAA exams only because I thought it would be good to have a "Re-knewing" of the mind when I go for my PPL...

Bob Tait books are fantastic for passing exams, as they only have content that will be in the exams, nothing more.

a lot more books will go into a lot more depth and will give you a greater understanding of the subject.

but to pass the exams, Bob Tait is the way to go.

I'm going to do the PPL BAK (since I eventually intend to get a PPL as well), will these books work for that or are they written for the RAA BAK?By the sound of it, I'll definitely be getting the Nav/Met book when I do my X-Country endorsement, but if the BAK book is just for RAA maybe I should go with Bob Tait....any opinions?

Hello DarkSarcasim- as already mention above- i have both ATC and Bob Taits- i found BoB Taits easier to use. Either books will have more than enough information for RAA X-country. Another book is Jim Davis, practical PPL flying. IT is IMO the best Theory Book to own. But it is expensive, around $100 but still worth it.

Go Bob Tait all the way:thumb_up:..You cant go wrong..Im cracking into his CPL,s at the moment and i just find him to be really consistent..The ATC stuff is good for extra knowledge, but only bob can make jokes about working out the end of daylight(probably the most painful process on earth-Or at least to me anyway!)..

It's easier? I thought the RAA one was easier because it didn't have so much on performance or loading or something....apparantly I'm mistaken?(If it's easier, why does anyone do the RAA one if the PPL one counts as well? :raise_eyebrow:)

IMO RAA is easier, as you have already mentioned, You dont do, Take Off/ landing charts or loading charts in RAA. I have done both exams. GA isnt any harder, it is just that you have to learn more, because weight and balance is a very important factor in loading 4 or more seats A/C . cheers

For PPL BAK, I prefer the ATC books because they have more detail - but the Bob Tait one's are an easier read and the questions are good. So, horses for courses!

For RAAus, as Tomo said, the Dyson-Holland books are the best by far. Exactly matched to the RAA exam, and good practice questions - for a while you could get them at LFS but then for some reason they changed. Sky Supply has them.

As for difference between PPL and RAAus - the PPL has stuff on weight and balance, and take-off/landing performance, missing from RAAus. So you'll need to know the different loading systems (Bravo, Charlie, etc).

Right now I need the insides of a toy plane so I can visualise how the engine works!

"Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow" There you go, that's how an engine works!006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

Guest Maj Millard

Unless it's a turbine and then it's...suck,swollow,heat and blow !!....hey Tomo, does one of those books tell you how to put a windsock on a shed ??.......................................:confused: