Jab down at Murray Bridge.

Deskpilot

A Jabiru LSA55, named 'The Mistress' let it's owner down this morning when the right hand undercarriage leg buckled back and under just after landing. The aircraft slewed off the runway proper and came to rest on it's starboard wing tip, just inside the cones. The pilot/owner and his pax were not injured. I was following the aircraft in and had to abort my landing (too distracted) and on the subsequent attempt, flew along the runway and landed long, past the obstruction. I've got photos., if only I could upload them. Give me time.

A Jabiru LSA55, named 'The Mistress' let it's owner down this morning when the right hand undercarriage leg buckled back and under just after landing. The aircraft slewed off the runway proper and came to rest on it's starboard wing tip, just inside the cones. The pilot/owner and his pax were not injured. I was following the aircraft in and had to abort my landing (too distracted) and on the subsequent attempt, flew along the runway and landed long, past the obstruction. I've got photos., if only I could upload them. Give me time.

OK, brain fade passed. Photo's attached. The gentlemen in the first picture were not involved, they just helped drag the plane beyond the cones. The pilot was actually checking for marks and debris on the runway.

When I left home this morning my wife, Jenny, sarcastically said "Mind the birds and say HI to Jesus" Hence the last shot. She was well pleased.

S8001364.thumb.JPG.685543d54725bffe39b9c302b1265d42.JPG

S8001365.thumb.JPG.fda52711d9931a14c2bd3a59b95759ee.JPG

S8001367.thumb.JPG.aa254b7d7c88bc5b6e79867ce42713ea.JPG

S8001368.thumb.JPG.5f370a558568658903403481cd9b860c.JPG

S8001362.thumb.jpg.bfb30ab787f8c75f616969edf08a1ed8.jpg

Aww they just don't look good sitting like that! Wonder why It gave way?

If it's the same cause as the 2 that I've seen, the thread strips inside the nut. It looks like somebody has run a drill bit through it. Luckily neither of these aircraft had wheelspats fitted and required no repairs other than the obvious re-attachment of the landing gear.

As far as I could see, the damage was limited to the spat, a little gelcoat delamination on the wing tip upper surface (could be pre-crash) a punctured nose wheel tire, and the leg attachment area. Couldn't see the actual root of the leg due to fairings. The owner said that he had had the attachment bolt mods done, but by whom I don't know.

As with all things internet - facts are important. As the owner and pilot, the facts are;

1. I have only recently purchased this aircraft and was in the process of working through a maintenance inspection/replacement of all likely suspect items. Next on the list was replacement of UC support bolts and front wheel axle bolt as per Jabiru AD. Turned out that the previous owner and or LAME had not upgraded the bolts to the required 3/8 bolts.

2. The end result was after several successful landings, the aircraft touched down perfectly just on stall warning - followed by a VERY loud bang and a slight dip to the right. Immediate thought was a blown tyre. Stick to left and supported the aircraft along the runway until we ran out of lift. Aircraft then steered right stopping on the adjacent grass. Superficial damage to spats and RH wing tip. 2 POB - all OK. Thanks to the helpers on the ground.

MC,

Be careful where you get those new nuts and bolts from. My company services a few Jabs, and we found that the nuts used by the factory were commercial grade, not aviation standard. We found several examples of the threads detaching from the nut body.

Of the new bolts are 3/8" diameter, that means you should get AN6-(length) bolts and MS21044N6 nuts.

Old Man Emu

Guest Maj Millard

So as I understand it the Jab, which is a 'CASA approved' aircraft, uses commercial grade hardware instead of Aircraft grade hardware ???...............................................024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

The best answer I can give to that is: "They did." I can't say if they still do, after being alerted to the nut problem.

They do use commercial stuff in the Jab, but I think the deficiencies of commercial over AN/MS/NAS standard only come out when the aircraft racks up lots of hours quickly (flying schools).

OME

Jabiru uc bolts

On inspection it was 100% the bolt that gave way. On close inspection the bolt had been failing for some time as you can clearly see where it exhibited "fail rings" leaving insufficient bolt to hold. The nut was 100% intact. The bolts were of the older 5/16 diameter. They have been replaced with Jabiru supplied 3/8th as required. Other than spat damage and some gel coat on a wing tip the aircraft was another example of good a aircraft and of course great pilotage. 011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif