Flew the 172 today!

Simonflyer

I must admit..On my drive to the airport today for my first flight in a C172, i was not looking forward to the pasting I thought the hot, humid and lumpy conditions would give me, and thought to myself that I would have my work cut out for me from woe to go..

Well i was wrong! the C172 is an absolute pearl!No wonder its one of the most popular airplanes in the world.I can really only explain it as being like a holden with wings.It just kind of sits there no matter what you throw at it, and it just kept plugging along.I was thinking what kind of head-shaking hell I would have been in if I were in the Tecnam.

In the past when Ive tried to fly new planes Ive felt really anxious, but today I was just chilled and enjoyed it all.Had some good laughs with the CFI with my first few landings, but kind of got the handle on it until my last which made it so that we might both need some chiro done..Oh well..Next time..

I keep waiting for the buzz of flying to wear off, but it just keeps getting better.

The ol 172's are very predictable and not very exciting which makes them the ideal wagon for running about in. Mine has 40 degree flaps and the 145hp motor which means you can always squeeze in but you may not get out.

So you think the old C172 is smooth and stable. Try the C182 it just sits there through turbulence, like a magic carpet ride. On;y problem is it is a bit more expensive to run, but a great load carrier and faster.

C-182.

The 182 has always been a very adequate aircraft, that does most things quite well, including lifting good loads out of shortish fields. Most of us have to put up with something cheaper, unless using it for some business related purpose. Nev

Hi simon,have you tried a Archer or it sisters. I only did a hour in a 172, but from memory i liked the cherokee series a bit better. I guess i am a bit bias since i owned one once. Anyway their all have their advantages and disadvantages. Enjoy mate