They are trying to close Kempsy airport!

flying dog

Hi folks.

While at Glochster (spelling?087_sorry.gif.8f9ce404ad3aa941b2729edb25b7c714.gif) (YGCR) (Yeah, ok I know.....:baldy: ) I heard that "they" are trying to close Kempsy airport.051_crying.gif.fe5d15edcc60afab3cc76b2638e7acf3.gif

I signed the partition against it.

At this rate: Soon there won't be any airports left to close!

036_faint.gif.544c913aae3989c0f13fd9d3b82e4e2c.gif

to add to this and i am at this time trying to confirm it, that another high movement 'private" strip in the sydney area may not be around for much longer due to development. there is going to be nowhere left on the east coast in ten years at this rate.

I was born in Kempsey and can remember flying into it from Sydney boarding school by DC-3 (Buller Airlines???) when floods had closed the north coast rail line on several occasions.

It was then stuck out in the bush. Went out there a few years ago to have a look at it and was astounded by the urban development out that way.

Is that the problem? The trendies building near a airfield and, shock/horror, it has aircraft in the area?

It's not trendies.

usually just the opposite.

Land values around airports tened to be cheaper so you got lower cost typ of housing springing up. Typically they started off as small acreage blocks and then over time the bolcks get carved up into smaller lots and before you know it the airfeild that used to be on the outskirts of town is now in the middle of a suburb.

Thats just growth and we are not gonig to change it.

The real problem is not the crowding of the airfeilds (this is gonig to continue to occure) the problem is replacing them.

If one gets shut down there needs to be a replacement in a more "suitable" area.

Kent

Aviating politicians is what we need.

At this rate you'll need to move house and live in Goulburn, Yass, Wagga, Tamworth, Coffs etc to be able to fly anywhere near Sydney. Actually Griffith sounds good and they make very nice wine there too! Why don't we all put pressure on to open Richmond to GA/RAAus and move the military to Williamtown (Newcastle) with their mates?

Guess money speaks and when land values get so high because of demand even the private strips go because of the large amounts of money involved.

Sydney is not alone... have a look at the situation re Caloundra and Caboolture just north of Brisbane with heavy pressure on both sites to move aviation further away.

Now what we really need is an aviation bent PM... then we might start seeing something worthwhile happening. Anyone wish to volunteer?