Home Air Strips

Guest studentbiggles

Guest studentbiggles
002_wave.gif.62d5c7a07e46b2ae47f4cd2e61a0c301.gif Guys need some help and advice on the length and dimensions of your "Home Air Strips". My brotherinlaw and sister live in the Tarcutta area (just outside the exclusion zone of Wagga) and I looking into the idea of them putting one in for me so I've got somewhere to land in the future:help: Cheers Studentbiggles

Hi mate, how much land have they got ? Maybe you can find out what is the maximum land that can be used (dont forget about obstructions on take off/landing etc. Is the land flat, up hill, down hill, a one way only strip etc. With all these questions, answered. You will be able to work backwards, if you know what i mean, and calculated t/o and landing distance availiable.Basically what im saying is that there isnt a hard or fast rule. Pilot ability, A/C performance, the enviroment all have apart to play. Kind Regards

There was an airstrip setup near Tarcutta a few years ago for Fire bombing ops. I've shot a message off to a bushie contact to find out if it's still there and available for public use. Might save stuffing around building one.

Guest studentbiggles

Your all :star:'s for your help and advice, thanks guys...I downloaded the CASA info for Brotherinlaw:construction:...The area that is available on the farm he has told me runs up to a crest then down again with a 15 degree slope across the flight path. Fly and Keep Safe Cheers Studentbiggles

Studentbiggles, Just a couple of terms to keep in mind. TORA is the Take Off Run Available, which means the length of runway you need to take off. The other is TODA - Take Off Distance Available. What this means is the lenght of the runwa plus the distance from the end of the runway to any obstacle that you have to clear. You must allow a minimum distance of 20 times the height of any obstacle. In effect this means that if you have to clear a 5 metre high object, the end of your runway must be a minimum of 100 metres from that obstacle. I hope that is as clear as mud!

Cheers Ferris

Haven't heard back from the RFS yet, but I did find a bit of info on the Tarcutta airstrip.

The satellite image on Google Earth is too old to show it.... 035_doh.gif.37538967d128bb0e6085e5fccd66c98b.gif

====================

BUSH FIREbulletin // CORPORATE NEWS

Vol 30 /1 2008

FAMILY OFFERS LAND FOR A NEW AIRSTRIP IN TARCUTTA

An airstrip has been commissioned in Tarcutta that will dramatically improve access to fires in the Tarcutta, Book Book, Humula, Umbango and Oberne brigade areas. The airstrip is situated on Alloomba, a property owned for generations by the Belling family who are also members of the local RFS. The airstrip is eight kilometres south west of Tarcutta and adjacent to the Hume Highway. Along with the new 1km long fully marked airstrip, it also has a 30,000 litre water tank.

=======================

Got an answer. (I've removed his name for his privacy)

=================

Hey xxxxxx,

Have you guys still got an airstrip at Tarcutta? If yes, is it available for public use?

Cheers!

Hi Steve

The strip is still in place however, unfortunately, it is on private property and therefore not open to the public. Sorry

xxxxxx

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

NSW RURAL FIRE SERVICE

Riverina Zone

www.rfs.nsw.gov.au

Guest studentbiggles

:thumb_up:Thanks ahlocks, I'll pass the message on to brotherinlaw....I think he had also heard of that strip in their area...A bit rough and ready though he thought if its the same one??..Had a google look at their farm even though he said it was not now time....MMMM it would be nice and close to house and sheds:keen: ....and very close and convient to the Temora Flyin next year:chuffed:...Shame I wont have my licence:crying: by then but I'm still going anyway, once again thanks for your help Cheers Studentbiggles

RFS can't give permission to use the airstrip because it's not theirs. I'd reckon a phone call from a Tarcutta local to the airstrip owner would be worth a try though.

I think the RFS strip is near the Keajura Road, so I'll head out there and see if I can find it. Where abouts is your brother inlaw? (just a rough estimate will do)