Jabiru 2200 engine TBO

Henk Eijkman

My Jabiru 2200 engine has just over 600 hrs. The manual says TBO is 1000 hrs (or 2000 hrs for full o/h). I'd really like to know if the 1000 hrs is realistic. So my question is how many hours are people really getting out of their engines?

My Jabiru 2200 engine has just over 600 hrs. The manual says TBO is 1000 hrs (or 2000 hrs for full o/h). I'd really like to know if the 1000 hrs is realistic. So my question is how many hours are people really getting out of their engines?

HI

could you write your Jab number ? (mine is 570)

a lot of jab failed before reaching the TBO ..............

price for the 100 h TBO is about 2000 USD ($ US) including parts

• 1 month later...

Jabru Engine TBO times

Hi,

I service Jabiru engines in Grafton, We have a J-170 that is due for its 800hrly tomorrow. It still runs smoothly and performs very well. though at about this time you can feel that there can sometimes be differences in cyl compressions, (felt by rotating propeller a number of times to feel each cylinder compression stroke) it is not unreasonable to expect the 2200 engine to reach the 1000hr mark without too much trouble. One of the biggest determining factors is how cool or hot your engine runs. excessive heat or inadequate cooling is a killer for these engines. Keep them running cool and run them hard regular maintenance and take particular attention to cylinder head tensions especially the head stud beween the intake and exhaust manifolds. I hope that this little thread is encouraging to you.

Cheers,

Peter

Guest Nelson Smith

Hi

Our Jab 3944 has 940 hours on it and all compressions read 150 lbs.It has been flown hard (2900 - 2950 revs) regularly since 2003. Serviced every 25 hrs using Shell 15-50 multigrade oil.

Next Easter it is booked into Jabiru for a top overhaul

Cheers

Nelson

The net can be great for a company but also spread bad info very quick. I notice someone in the pprune thread stating that general consensus is that jabs lasting for 600hrs. This was based on info from this site. I would love it if jabiru would actually do themselves a favour. If the mods are so effective and the engines are doing well then get usefull data out there!

I would want serial numbers, dates of production, incorporation of mods and enghrs. Not old matey telling me his engine blew at 230hrs but no mention of age, mod status or maintenace program.

If I had a bad experience with my falcon/commodore 6 models ago could I really bag out the current model? If you don't think it is similar than get a brand new jab 2200 and compare it to an older one as I got to do earlier this year. Even the hard core rotax lover among us gave jab points for how much they have improved. He will never convert, but he has at least toned down the sermons about 'those jabirus'006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

People from all over the world read this forum, I wish they could see accurate data about this Aussie product before making a decision

Guest Walter Buschor

Whilst I don't have a Jab I' convinced that the engine IS sorted !!! What I saw at Jabiru in Bundaberg was most impressive ! That of course applies to the CURRENT engine. I say Go for it ! Do the maintenance and you wont regret it. As I said in earlier forums if ever I sell my Savvy I would only replace it with a Jab. The Plane is outstanding and the engine is too.

safe flying

• 3 years later...

Henk:

It depends on what serial number you have and how well it is maintained.

My 1st Jabiru was a disaster. It was the early conversion to hyd lifters. Valve guide worn at 200 hourws and replaced on warranty. Sucked a valve at 587 hours and destroyed a piston and bent the rod.

The west coast repair guy sent is back after repair and it threw a rod after 30 seconds after start up. He adnmityted he screwed up on the repair and sold me a much newer and updated engine at below cost. That engine now has 808 hours on it without any issues. I have pulles all heads at 800 hours and the guides, valves and pistons all look great. I believe I will easily make it to the 1,000 top TBO.

s/n 3237

John M