JAbiru : new BS

Guest 4aplat

Very interesting and well-written explanation, but perhaps there is an error at the end of Section 6.5

"If the level of “water” increases, alcohol is present in the fuel..."

Surely the apparent water level would drop as some of the water combines with the alcohol?

Lyle

Graeme is right about the "water" level.

Below is the text of an email that I sent to Jabiru 2 min ago.

The information in JSL 007-3 appears to me to be contradictory.

section 3.1 states, in part

"- 2200 S/No. 128 – 831 7.8:1 or 8.3:1

- 2200 S/No. 832 – 1003 7.8:1 or 8.3:1

- 2200 S/No. 1004 Onwards 8:1

- 3300 S/No. 1 – 223 7.8:1 or 8.3:1

- 3300 S/No. 224 Onwards 8:1

- 5100 All S/No. 8.5:1

Where two ratios are listed those engines fitted with shims between the cylinder barrel and

the crankcase have the lower ratio, engines without shims the higher.",

while section 3.3 states

"Example: 2200 engine, S/No. 800 with no shims fitted and therefore compression ratio of 8.3:1"

These statements appear to me to be contradictory. I would have interpreted the former explanation to mean that 2200 engine, S/No 800 has a compression ration of 7.8:1.

Would you please advise.

Anyone care to comment???

spot deliberate mistake?

Watch out for page 8! first paragraph. (IN MY OPINION) It is TOTALLY wrong. I Do EMPTY CARBs of mogas. As mogas evaporates it will leave behing a greenish goo! ! With the fuel tap left on the evaporated fuel is constantly being replaced, thus the goo builds up to an astonishing extent. I have NEVER been able to find a solvent for this goo. Consequently I have thrown away MANY sets of motorcycle carbs. (Unless of course I'm reading the paragraph wrong?). I run my 0-200 on mogas but stop the engine by turning off the fuel tap and let the engine stop through starvation. No Problemo.................I have edited this post as there is an AD that covers the letter to which this reply is directed.. Let me say That I would NEVER leave mogas in a carb for ANY length of time...Certainly not with the fuel left on........Be Warned.

• 2 weeks later...
Watch out for page 8! first paragraph. (IN MY OPINION) It is TOTALLY wrong. I Do EMPTY CARBs of mogas. As mogas evaporates it will leave behing a greenish goo!

I suspect page 8 first paragraph may not have been proofread. It states, "Do not drain the tank but leave MOGAS in the carburetor".

Based on the context I think it is meant to be, "Do not drain the tank and leave MOGAS in the carburetor". The message being 'If you drain the tank then do not leave MOGAS in the carburetor'.

The previous paragraph states, "Do not leave a tank full of MOGAS as it will loose volatiles over time". Clearly 'loose' should be 'lose' therefore my conclusion that a thorough proofread may have been warranted.

The letter in question is from a manufacturer and is subject of an AD (airworthiness Directive) and thus is closely related to LAW. It should bloody well be correct or are we dealing with analfabetic amateurs? You can't just "suppose" what you think they meant by it. It must be taken as written. Pathetic!