Metric Jabiru

BigPete

We Have a winner ----- That's right Bob - metric on the battery connections, and me with out the matching spanner %#@^.

And it looks like their could be other too. (thanks Jack)

G'day Nev - one thing I didn't consider was the pitch of the spark plugs. but do I need a metric spanner to remove them????

OK Maj I give up - why (are they metric)? (Did the French or Germans have something to do with it?)

regards

PS - You're a funny guy Tomo - listen to Planey - he knows a thing or two.

Plug threads.

Not all of them are. Some early engines.eg. "T" model ford had a 7/8" taper thread. (like a pipe thread) which did not use a washer to seal. Plugs that have metric threads. (Nearly ALL) have all kinds of hexagons and some are A/F (Imperial inch fractions) across flats. The very early method of igniting the fuel in other than compression ignition (diesel) or semi- diesel (hot Bulb) was by a low tension spark where the plug points moved to open from contacting , inside the cylinder and a spark occurred at point separation.. Just a bit of useless historical information..Nev

and me with out the matching spanner %#@^.

Many many yrs ago a guy had the same problem, so he invented a thing called the 'farmers friend...'

Yep, you guessed it - the shifter! :thumb_up:

• 2 weeks later...

Current Jabiru spark-plugs (NGK D9EA) require an 18mm deep socket, preferably thin-wall. Repco sell them. Get one with a 3/8" drive. Battery terminal hardware is metric on the Odyssey battery supplied from the factory. Haven't attacked a Bing carburettor yet, but it'd be a safe bet the thing is riddled with metric threads.

The old V6 Holden engines were a good example of the mixed threads.

Every thread on the outside of the engine was metric, and all the threads on the inside of it were Imperial (SAE).

You ended up with a metric engine mounting bolt thread and on the other side of the crank case wall you had imperial main bearing bolt threads.