Costal Moruya to Merimbula Altitudes

kevinblack

Hi,

Quick question, I'm thinking of flying costal Moruya to Merimbula (from CBR), ie. south down the East Coast and then backup. I will let down south of Moruya on the way down (keep clear of the CTAF) and vice versa.

I normally fly small segments at 1500ft and its not a problem I've had a nagging thought though that this may not be quite right:

1. What are the expected altitudes for flying up and down the coast, ie where would others expect me to be (VFR Guide just talks about the VFR levels East and WEST)?

2. On the south bound leg I assume I should keep close to the shoreline and further out traveling north (on coming traffic passes to the right of each other, VFR Guide keep right)?

3. Should I be broadcasting my position, and on what frequency (Area - nearest CTAF etc) VFR Guide say to keep a listening watch?

Looked at the VFR Flight guide, see above, but couldn't find the stuff I specifically want.

Cheers,

Kevin

I'm going to stick my neck out. Please don't cut my head off.

From YSCB to Moryua you *WILL* go over a lot of "tiger country".

Are you GA or RAA?

If RAA, remain below the steps, but get up to at least 5000 feet - or maybe higher - to get you over the ranges.

When on the coast, it is up to you at which height you fly.

There are rules about which direction and what altitude but from memory they are more for commercial and/or controlled airspace ops. "Way out there..." it is nice to fly these levels, but NOT compulsory.

You said you will avoid the CTAF at Moruya.... Why? Listen to the area frequency and/or (depending if you have two radios or not) Moruya's frequency. There are skydiving ops, but if you listen to them you will hear if they are dropping "meat bombs" or not. The trip is quite nice. Done it a few times.

Hi Kevin.

You avoid almost all the rough stuff by going to the Araluen valley from Braidwood and following it down to Moruya. So track Bungendore, Braidwood, Araluen, Moruya. Almost no tigers that way.

No need to avoid YMRY, just listen on 126.7 for other traffic. Merimbula is also on 126.7, so I tend to stay on there and make calls for other coastal traffic. Use HCLs, so going south you tend to the west of south, so cruise at 2500. Going north, 1500 or 3500. Just track generally coastal and make the calls for departing YMRY with intention to track south coastal, then 10nm from YMER, then same coming home.

Too easy.

It's some of the prettiest coast to fly in this country, therefore the world.

Cheers,

Ross

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

Ross, FD,

Thanks for that.

GA, done YSCB/YMRY a few times and up/down the Araluen valley. In the past I've headed down at Ulladulla and flown down the coast to YMRY. I was just thinking about avoiding the YMRY airspace on the weekend because it gets a bit busy.

I wasn't sure about HCLs applicability if there is anything else, but down at 2500 and up at 1500 sounds reasonable, thanks for the advice.

Sounds like just tune into 126.7 down and up.

Thanks again guys,

Cheers,

Kevin

• 5 years later...
If RAA, remain below the steps, but get up to at least 5000 feet - or maybe higher - to get you over the ranges.

When on the coast, it is up to you at which height you fly.

There are rules about which direction and what altitude but from memory they are more for commercial and/or controlled airspace ops. "Way out there..." it is nice to fly these levels, but NOT compulsory.

If you go via braidwood, and up to the base of the step (7500), there is minimal area where you can't either glide back to braidwood or onward to Bateman's/Moruya.

The rules about hemispherical cruising levels are compulsory above 5000, and recommended below 5000. (I haven't worked out what to do if ground is above 4500 and cloud base below 6000.)

As far as cruising levels go, below 5000' AMSL the hemispherical rule isn't recommended, CAR 173 says whenever practicable. East means a magnetic track between 000 and 179, West between 180 and 359.

I've done that leg many times at 500' AMSL, remaining over water and clear of populous areas. I do my pre-landing checks before descending below 1000' and have a continuous plan of where I'd land in the event of an engine failure.