Maintenance releases

Thx1137

G'day,

I am wondering how people here document any issues with an aircraft so that others who may fly the aircraft can know of any issues and repairs tracked. Are people using a GA type maintenance release document or something different for thier RA aircraft?

Steven.

Guest Maj Millard

We've done this one before ...don't even think about it !!........there are much easier (and cheaper) ways of keeping track of things. I'm sure CASA would love to see us use maintenance releases, however as GA has found many times, just another way to hang yourself...........thumb_down

Nope, I will think about it. Just because GA keeps track of aircraft issues and their resolution doesn't mean I don't want to! I can't see CASA saying "this RA guy want to track faults, hey, lets make em all do it!"!

You allude that we have some methods. What I am trying to find out is what the methods are that people are using.

Guest Maj Millard

Matt, Quote..." and how could it be used to hang yourself or anyone else ?....end quote.

You do not know how silly that statement is !...Ok, one it is a legal document, all relevent flight data has to be entered on it that day!. Forget to do that once ...massive fine. Certain maintenance items have to be signed off by an appropiate maintenance controller, until he does the plane is unairworthy.....read bucks and inconvienance. Maintenance people much against public belief, don't work for nothing. Once you have flown off the hours, and entered them on the MR, the plane is then again unairworthy, and unuseable until the maintenance is performed and the bill paid, otherwise you don't get your signed new maintenance release. Most inconvienent when the hours click over, half way home on a Sunday afternoon....flaunt the rules ...get ramp checked on landing...huge fine + possible license suspension...go direct to court...don't fly for months. Loose track of things on the MR (may not be your fault, they don't care), and operate with an expired MR...massive fine..possible license suspension..don't fly ever again. Once again ..the maintenance release is a Legal document...admittable in court...that's why it is on that funny paper. It is also individually numbered, stuff one up and destroy it....massive fine ...straight to court. There are some out there who just do not know when they are well off !!! ....and then there are some who just can't turn us into GA quick enough........................................024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

My 'easier and cheaper means" would be.....

1. Leave a note on the chalk/white board in the club rental office.

2. Plus, leave a note attached to the aircraft yoke or panel.

3. Call whoever owns or operates the aircraft, if it is a rental.

4. Call the next person to fly the aircraft.

5. Leave a note attached to the aircraft saying it is US, and to call you

(include your Ph #) before next flight.

6. Make an entry in the aircrafts' maintenance manual and leave it on the seat open to that page.

It's not rocket science folks, were pilots aren't we ?...if it's serious enough, you'll work something out !.

Nope, not rocket science but how you do it depends on what you want to get out of it and the owner(s) and aircrafts situation. I should probably stated my situation but I was interested as a general topic and not just my own situation.

I probably should have known there would be an issue calling the topic "Maintenance Releases" when they are legal document but is was the closest title that matched the kind of thing I was interested in...

The reason I asked is because I heard that someone had created a form, not for legal purposes but just to keep the people who use the aircraft informed about the current state of the aircraft and any pending maintenance so I was interested to see if that was more common than I thought. I guess not.

Steven.

Because RAAus a/c are not in the rental situation to the extent that GA a/c are, the tracking of a/c maintenance is a bit different. For a start (in 99% of cases) you will rent the a/c directly from and talk to the person who is directly responsible for the maintenance. If anything comes up he knows about and deals with it in the appropriate manner. ie either fixes it, tells the next pilot, or grounds the a/c. dead simple and not at all like the GA situation. In my case, I just fetch out the spanners and the wallet and fix it.