Majors pick of the month.......DEC-JAN

Guest Maj Millard

Guest Maj Millard

Well just like most of you I'm sure, I eagerly persue the used aircraft ads in the RAA mag each edition. These regular monthly selections are my personal choices from the offerings each month...hurry_up.gif.177b070ad0fed9378055f023fbf484f7.gif

From each monthly list I will select one 'bargain of the month'.......or

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ 'Best bang for the buck !!' $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I am hoping this might assist new buyers to our sport who may not have the knowledge or experience with our aircraft to make a wise choice.

Note: My personal choices do not in any way endorse any aircraft in respect to it's condition, airworthiness, or suitability for your intended use...It is highly recommended that any potential aircraft buyer always seeks the services of an L2, or other suitable person, to perform a thourgh pre-purchase inspection on any aircraft, prior to a purchase.

My selections this month are..................

1310 Titan Tornado 11....................$39,900

1747 Starduster SA500...................$29,500 neg.

1819 Rans S-19.............................$49,500

1871 Jodel D11..............................$36,000

1882 Pterydactyl Asc 11.................$12,000

1887 Lightwing GR2003..................$28,000 ono.

1889 Karasport parasol..................$12,000

1891 Skyranger.............................$45,000

1892 Skyfox & trailer......................$32,900ono.

1929 S.M.A.N Petrel.......................$29,000

1930 Druine Turbulent...................$25,000

1931 Sonerai 2LS...........................$35,000

1939 Rotax 582.............................$4000

1945 X-air....................................$26,500

1932 Bantam B22..........................$27,500

1948 Rutan Varieze.......................$60,000

1959 superpup 137........................$15,000

1962 Lightwing GR 582..................$36,000

1964 Kitfox Classic 4......................$45,000ono.

And the winner this month is............'Best bang for the buck !!!'.....................

<<<<<<<<<<<<< 1948 Rutan Varieze $60,000 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Merry Xmas 2009

Guest Maj Millard

Blackrod, No this is not an aircraft for the beginner. In fact there are some things to be remembered, even for the experienced pilot. For instance they don't like getting off the ground in a hurry, especially loaded, so plenty of runway is a must. They also suffered from rain on the cunard, in the early models. Later cunards were John Rontz designed, and wern't effected. Otherwise they are a pretty safe and quick machine. The later longeze had much more wing, and performance all round was better. Oh, and it helps if you like a bit of John Denver playing in your headset when you fly !!..................

It'd be interesting to see if some vortex generators on the canard got around the rain issue... Probably kill the effeciency a bit though.

If your interested in buying it I'd check the stall speed is at or below the max for that ra-aus rego.

Guest Maj Millard

Yes, Jon boy was in a Longeze with a bigger wing than the one advertised. It also had an engine in it (O-360), that wasn't approved for type, as only a O-320 was approved.

If you have ever read the report on that accident, it includes just about everything that could possible lead up to an accident that was bound to happen.

As far as I know the John Rontz cunard was the only approved replacement for the original 'raindrops' cunard.

It is possible they get around the 'stall speed' requirement by saying that a cunard aeroplane doesn't really stall, the cunard quits flying, the nose drops automatically, and the main wing never actually quits flying.....

yup, but the stats on the prototype list a stall speed thats just a bit above the maximum. I dare say by the time the plans came out the stall was lower, but if it was me I'd check what it says in the pilot's operating handbook.

The "it doesn't stall" thing is a bit facetious to my mind. It does stall, its just the stall is a benign dropping of the nose, which raises the speed above stall point again. It'd be interesting to see how it reacts to a stall in some more "unusual" attitudes, but I wouldn't be game to try it personally. Even a stall in a climbing turn would be interesting to see how it reacts.

I might load one up in X-plane and give it a crack - just for curiosity sake. Also to find out how well X-plane can model the stall.

*edit*

Just realised this probably comes off really anti-canard/anti-buy-that-plane. If money was no consideration I'd be trying to buy it.... I just don't have the dosh.

Guest Maj Millard

NO me neither, Could be a good little buy if it has been built well, and has the later Cunard. They do get along like a scalded cat.

I reckon you're on the right track Shags, aircraft wise that is, not spending money on weddings! Those Lightwings consistently look like a lot of plane for the money, I'm going to have to get me a tail dragon conversion sometime soon and then look into this business a little more closely.

What's the verdict, is the Lightwing an easier proposition than the Skyfox say?

Guest Maj Millard

Like cheese and chalk to me.......So here is my biased view on why I really like Lightwings.

The LW cabin is wider, and more comfortable than the Gazelle, with way more storage area.

The LW has a real strong, thick, lifting wing. All metal. No wood to rot and no ailerons to fall off.

The landing gear on a LW is more rugged, and much easier to repair if need be.

The LW doesn't require a wing strut carry-thru mod tube, to keep it safe and legal.

Cabin visability is better from a LW.

LWs are much easier to work on, and you can inspect the whole fuel system without removing the seats.

You can still get parts for a Lightwing.

Lightwings are not a copy, and are a true Australian design, one of the first in fact.

Lwings go faster, land slower, and get off the ground better than a Gazelle.

Lightwings didn't single handedly almost destroy insurance coverage for ULs in this country, because of landing accidents.

The LW is a lot of plane for the money............ Flak jacket is on...............................................024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Yes, Jon boy was in a Longeze with a bigger wing than the one advertised. It also had an engine in it (O-360), that wasn't approved for type, as only a O-320 was approved.If you have ever read the report on that accident, it includes just about everything that could possible lead up to an accident that was bound to happen.

As far as I know the John Rontz cunard was the only approved replacement for the original 'raindrops' cunard.

It is possible they get around the 'stall speed' requirement by saying that a cunard aeroplane doesn't really stall, the cunard quits flying, the nose drops automatically, and the main wing never actually quits flying.....

they also make good boats. i saw some footage of one floating past Hamilton Island last year after a power fsilure.

Like cheese and chalk to me.......So here is my biased view on why I really like Lightwings.The LW cabin is wider, and more comfortable than the Gazelle, with way more storage area.

The LW has a real strong, thick, lifting wing. All metal. No wood to rot and no ailerons to fall off.

The landing gear on a LW is more rugged, and much easier to repair if need be.

The LW doesn't require a wing strut carry-thru mod tube, to keep it safe and legal.

Cabin visability is better from a LW.

LWs are much easier to work on, and you can inspect the whole fuel system without removing the seats.

You can still get parts for a Lightwing.

Lightwings are not a copy, and are a true Australian design, one of the first in fact.

Lwings go faster, land slower, and get off the ground better than a Gazelle.

Lightwings didn't single handedly almost destroy insurance coverage for ULs in this country, because of landing accidents.

The LW is a lot of plane for the money............ Flak jacket is on...............................................024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

I've had a fair bit to do with both and I'd take a LW every single time.

Guest Maj Millard

Yenn I have flown both the Skyfox and Gazelle, and yes I would agree they are both nice to fly. The Skyfox however when compared to the LW, is a much more active taildragger. You do not use the rudder much on a Lightwing, but you better be on it in a Skyfox on landing.

I have been in turbulance in a LW going into Shute harbor, that I wouldn't have wanted to be in, in a Gazelle ....The Lightwing is a bigger plane, and has a 'bigger' feel to it, if that's what you mean by harder to fly ?...................................................................................024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Guest Maj Millard

Dazza 38, I will never talk anyone into buying any aircraft. It's too much of a personal decision. However should you choose to purchase that aircraft, you shouldn't have much to do to get it into tip-top shape. IMOP.

Other than checking all the fuel lines for condition (especially the overhead connection tube, and both sight tubes), checking your fuel bowl, and screen for cleanliness, and making sure the tail wheel connections are in good shape, you should be right to go. There is of course no substitute for a thourgh pre-purchase inspection, no matter how good an aircraft looks................024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Guest Maj Millard

During a six month composite course that I did in California, we were one day covering the subject of blue aircraft grade structural foam. The instructor threw a square foot block of foam at us and said "build an aeroplane" !. We also had to do a cloth and resin lay up on it, and... Oh, it had to fly.

Away we all went for the next three nights, cutting foam. Most choose to do a convential high or low wing type design, but since I like to be a little different, I choose a cunard design for some reason.

Came the night of the big fly off !!.....most flew somewhat, and some better than others, some not at all. Much to my surprise, and to everybody elses' surprise, my cunard soared beautifully from one side of the room to the other.....and so stable............................................................024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Thanks Major, Yenn and Qwerty - was hoping you would be able to add something to the discussion. You're quite right Maj, I did mean was the Lightwing easier to handle on the ground. I understand the Skyfox is pleasant to fly, but speaking as a low time pilot who has only flown with training wheels, I really don't see myself getting into something that is going to require an unusually high degree of skill to keep on the straight and narrow. Seen too many people buy something like that and then start making excuses for not using it, too windy, crosswind too strong etc etc.

Think I'd better go and have a closer look at some of the Lightwings in the hangar.

Guest Maj Millard

David, Sounds silly but something that simple can ruin the whole thing......smooth airflow over the wing I mean......................................................................024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

And Spin, I always maintain that most landing incidents with taildraggers are simple caused by the landing speed being too high. This together with an inexperienced T/dragger pilot is not a good combination.

There are different levels of taildragger sensitivity, and it is usually directly related to the distance from the main wheels, to the tail wheel. The shorter the distance the more twitchy they are. Look at the Pitts Special which is about as short as they get, very easy to loose. The Lightwing, pretty long and easy to handle. Drifter even longer, and almost not a taildragger. The design of the tailwheel also can be a big factor, in wether an aircraft is no drama, or willing to bite you....Unfortunatly it is also true, that the best way to learn not to do a ground loop, is to have done one !!

Dazza 38, I will never talk anyone into buying any aircraft. It's too much of a personal decision. However should you choose to purchase that aircraft, you shouldn't have much to do to get it into tip-top shape. IMOP.Other than checking all the fuel lines for condition (especially the overhead connection tube, and both sight tubes), checking your fuel bowl, and screen for cleanliness, and making sure the tail wheel connections are in good shape, you should be right to go. There is of course no substitute for a thourgh pre-purchase inspection, no matter how good an aircraft looks................024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Thanks major, i will try to have a look at it over Xmas holidays. If the price is right,it will be a goer, i wouldnt mine taking it to howie, to have a look at it.

.......I really don't see myself getting into something that is going to require an unusually high degree of skill to keep on the straight and narrow. ..........

Don't run away.....Its just something new to learn....get into it. I actually learned to fly in a tail wheel a/c. You will love them once you start, they are a bit addictive.

Spin.

Whatever you buy I am sure that it will not be too hard to fly and control on the ground. Skyfox, Gazelle and Lightwing are all good and you could come to grips with them. Major has some good tips. I would suggest you try them and keep to grass strips for a start. Nothing like a downhill, very smooth bitumen strip to keep the feet working.