Cooloola Cove Airstrip-RU there Tomo

rod r

Hi< I have just joined the site........i noticed that Tomo has been to our strip at Cooloola cove Qld (YCXA).........(near Rainbow Beach) ..........all welcome..........34/16 in direction , slight uphill on 34.........tie down near BBQ.............only telstra mobiles work in our area.........we can pick you up............lend you a car...........camp on field......we can put you up at home.............no charges or fees..........call Rod 0428 72 62 72..........there are 2 aircraft on the strip, i own a cessna 182 and my friend Bill has a 6 Cyl Jab..........if you are over flying try us on 126.7 (Cooloola Ground) we have a radio at home and if we are there will call back.................cheers Rod Robertson.

Hey Rod! Sounds to good to be true, awesome work :thumb_up: Certainly a beaut 182 you have there, was impressed. I was going to leave a brochure of Rec flying under the cover of the Jab, but forgot to bring them with me on the push bike! It's great you found us anyway.

Welcome along also. :thumb_up:

Guest Escadrille

Hi Rod,

Very interested to hear of your generous approach to visitors to the Cooloola Cove airstrip as I have been wondering about dropping in there myself. I am a member of what remains of the Lockyer Valley Flying Club which used to be based at the Gatton College airstrip, We (well the aircraft are..)are now spread around a bit but are constantly looking for places to go to on weekends.I have a Jab SP 470 and Ross has a KR2S and John has a 6 cylinder Jab in our hangar at Marcus Casalegnos stip at Grantham where he keeps his Cessna 180.We would love to come up that way and visit when the weather is more settled...

How is the surface of the strip ? Is it soft and sandy?

Hopefully we will meet you soon in 2010.

Regards,

Andy

Oi! you forgot about my sonex kit sitting in the corner of the hanger, yes it is still in the larvae stage but it is still an aircraft:laugh:

Sounds like a great strip, let me know and I will hire a tecnam or even scum a ride in one of the Jabs or the KR2S.

Great offer Rod, We are going up to Orchid Beach saturday so will try and drop in on the way back.

Tomo- Flew over Cecil plains on the way up to Caboolture from Armidale on Thursday and called into Jimbour for lunch but alas they closed down 3 days earlier. So it was back to Dalby for a pub meal at the Oasis and then dodge cloud all the way to the coast.

Terry

Tomo- Flew over Cecil plains on the way up to Caboolture from Armidale on Thursday and called into Jimbour for lunch but alas they closed down 3 days earlier. So it was back to Dalby for a pub meal at the Oasis and then dodge cloud all the way to the coast.Terry

Was that last week, or yesterday?

I saw a few different aircraft fly over yesterday.

Guest studentbiggles

Welcome Rod, thankyou for your kind invitation and hospitality of your strip and may I extend to you the very same when you are over our way at YREN (Renmark) and Loxton Aero Clubs...Cheers Studentbiggles (Alley)

Good one Rod,

Have flown over a few times as we have friends that have moved up to Cooloola Cove from NSW, but never landed. Would love to drop in sometime (when the weather settles). Are trikes welcome?

Safe flying

Kev

Sorry Tomo for not replying earlier. Yes that was yesterday or last week now. Just arrived back in Wang at 9.30 this morning in a 36knot crosswind most of the way and 36 degrees. Time for a shower and rest.

It was a great trip and we clocked up 20 hours and met some great people.

Terry

Hi Rod,

Great to see you on the forum.098_welcome.gif.81ff07d492568199326e4f64f78d7bc6.gif

I still fondly remember when I flew my trike to Cooloola Cove in Sept 2004 and your kind and friendly hospitality back then. And I chatted with you at Natfly 2008 ( or 2009 - I forget ). I hope we'll see you at Temora at Easter.

Kev,

I took Rod for a fly in the Airborne Edge-X 582 Classic I had back in 2004 and I remember that Rod enjoyed it very much.

Cheers,

Glen

That's good to hear, Glen.

Let me know if you are planning on coming up this way again and we'll meet up,

either at Cooloola Cove or at Maryborough (where the coffee is always 'on') :thumb_up:

Safe flying

Kev

Guest Escadrille

Hi Tomo, Whereabouts in Cecil Plains area are you?

We (the guys at Grantham ) could come and visit perhaps seeing as we are "local". Would that be Ok?

Alternatively come down and visit us if you like!

Cheers,

Andy

Hey Andy! A visit would be heaps cool :thumb_up:

We live about 3-4 miles east of Cecil Plains township. The neighbour has a dirt strip plenty long enough that he lets me use. Obviously with prior notice. You can pretty much taxi up to our shed from it. POWER line on northern end of strip running east/west to the house. And a water ditch running east/west along the southern end.

If you put 99 horrane rd, Cecil Plains... into Google earth, it should come up with our front gate. The strip runs from the neighbours house, north/south. Which is a little to the west of our place.

Here is a google earth pic

1_Picture_1.jpg

And here it is on the VTC

1_CCF04092009_00000.jpg

Ps. Those pics don't show very well... so here is the link to them in the Gallery: http://www.recreationalflying.com/gallery/index.php?n=1110

Hi Tomo, Whereabouts in Cecil Plains area are you?We (the guys at Grantham ) could come and visit perhaps seeing as we are "local". Would that be Ok?

Alternatively come down and visit us if you like!

Cheers,

Andy

Andy, You are also more than welcome to fly into Dalby as well, Bear in mind the organised Brekky on the 7th Feb if you are interested:big_grin:

DD

Andy, You are also more than welcome to fly into Dalby as well

How bout you come pick me up Andy, and I'll do a free of charge tourist guide around the area.... including Dalby! It's only 10mins away by air...:thumb_up:

Now thats good quality! 021_nod.gif.30c66a33e1ed960b5b5d3fc7b345b58d.gif

Hi Rod

Thanks for the info. but a Southern NSWelshman was wondering where Cooloola Cove was close to. I have a Jab 470 and may be in the QLD area this coming year at some stage. Would love to drop into some of these places but need a perspective from major town/villages etc.

Cheers Ian

Tomo

Where is cecil plains. I looked at your google map/sat view, didn't help much for someone that doesn't know the area.

I may fly up your way during the year and would like to drop in on some of the QLDers. My partner is in Brisbane and I am in Albion Park so most of the travel is by the aerial people movers.

Cheers Ian

G'day mate,

To put it simply, Cecil Plains is about 89klm west of Toowoomba, a city of about 120 people and 3 streets! We are on a property east of Cecil Plains ('bout 3-4 miles). So if you get a map, find Toowoomba, head west and, it should be there somewhere.

If anyone wants to visit, you are all more than welcome! please advise first though, to make sure there isn't a tractor or something on the track. And to receive a few cautions on approach's etc...

My number is 0429 680 423 - Tom :big_grin:

Out of curiousity Tomo, How long is the farm strip? 041_helmet.gif.78baac70954ea905d688a02676ee110c.gif

If you touch down before/under the power line you'd probably be looking at nearly 1000ms I'd reckon...

but I'd safely say 750-800ms, though I haven't actually measured it, just guessing.

He had the big water bombers operating off it when the cotton gin caught fire a few yrs ago... they did it easily fully loaded.

Here is me doing a few fly abouts on/above it in the Drifter

That was before he ran the grader over it, It's in pretty good order at present.I just timed the fly past in the video... I remember doing a bit over 65kts on one of them, and it was 19 seconds long... so 750-800 is pretty close!

Hi Tomo,

Click on the little ruler button at the top of Google Earth to get a measuring tool. You can use this to measure the length of your strip in metres, km, feet or whatever.

Cheers,

Peter

Hi Tomo,Click on the little ruler button at the top of Google Earth to get a measuring tool. You can use this to measure the length of your strip in metres, km, feet or whatever.

Cheers,

Peter

I didn't know that. Thanks:big_grin:

Pud