Kimberley Ranges Trip. Advice needed.

My brother and I are in the process of planning a flying trip to the Kimberleys in Early May, flying my Skyranger. The rough plan at present is to fly Latrobe valley -Mildura -Arkaroola -Coober pedy - Alice Springs -Tennant Creek - Hooker Creek -Kunnanurra. Return via Mt Isa - Longreach and down through western NSW.

We are open to any sugestions as to route and what to see around the Kimberleys. We will have just over three weeks. My brother is responsible for providing great weather and tail winds.... yeah right.

Thanks in advance.

Greg.

Article coming

Hi Greg,

Next issue of the RAAus magazine (February) will have an article on a very similar trip to what you are proposing and the March issue should contain an article on how to plan etc. Hope they both help you cause it's a great trip to do and so much to see.

Wags.

Kimbers in May

Hi. I'm envious... what a geat trip to do.

Check your refuelling points carefully to ensure they have fuel and you have the right cards to be able to get it. There are some long legs to consider when planning endurance, etc.

TNK landing fees are murder ($20+) and when I was last there mid-July it was the kind fuel lady who saved me by letting me use her toilets 'cause the public ones weren't working.

Take rations but most importantly, take water. At least 10 litres each. More people perish from thirst than aircraft crashes in the country you will be traversing.

I won't wish for you to have a fantastic time because you will have one anyway. Take photos and write your story, please!

kaz

Gday Greg, I live and fly in and around Kununurra. Recently did a trip to Broken Hill in Tecnam P92 super echo via some of the places you plan to go via. If you wish to contact me by e mail , [email protected] I will then ring you for a chat.

Regards Bruce.

Did the Kimberly trip again last year.

My track was somewhat of a detour (via Burketown) but the main route I took which should suit you would be if endurance is OK.

Mildura, William Creek, Alice Springs,

Halls Creek, Kununurra, Drysdale Station, Prince Regent Gorge, Walcot inlet,Horozontal Waterfalls, Cape Leveuc (spelling) Broome and back to Halls Creek. Wolfe Crater can be seen on the way home via the Tanami.

The longest leg was Halls Creek to Alice but fuel was available with prior notice at a road house about 80 miles out from Alice. (name escapes me)

Bungles could be done from Halls Creek to Kununurra leg. (see ersa for details)

I thought that the Kimberly Coast and the prince Regent River at low altitude were the highlights.

Hope of some help.

Cheers.