Morgan Aeroworks Cheetah Sierra

kgwilson

G'day all,

My name is Kevin & I have been flying since 1976. Flew Hang Gliders in NZ for nearly 20 years & was President of NZHGA in the late 70s. I helped start the Microlight organisation there in 1982. I flew one of first weight shift Microlights, a Quicksilver back in 82. In the 90s I got my PPL & have flown the length & breadth of NZ in Cessna 172s & Piper Archer Cherokees.

After attending the Avalon airshow in 2005 I became more interested in the new breed of high performance Recreational aircraft & have just completed the conversion time to an RAA licence in a Skyfox Gazelle. I just have to sit a couple of the exams & I am all done.

Over the past 4 years I have been keeping an eye on what is happening especially in the kit aircraft area as I intend to build my own aircraft as soon as I sell my business which hopefully will be soon.

My preferance is an Australian designed & built machine and just before Christmas I had the privilege of flying Garry Morgans Cheetah Sierra. It certainly ticks most of the boxes in terms of what I am looking for. Australian design & manufacture, de-riggable into a trailer, low wing, excellent performance and handling, high speed cruise, comfort, good looks and good price.

Garry has provided me with some contacts but any comments about the Sierra would be most welcome.

Cheers

Kevin

Welcome Kevin and enjoyed your review Cameron.

I too have been researching for some time and had the pleasure of a fly in the Sierra with Garry in October last year. Certainly ticks all the boxes for me and the more I look I keep coming back to the Sierra.

Looking at placing an order soon and going 6 cyl Jab, flaps, wing tanks etc. Dollars start to add up but for what you end up with compares well against other aircraft.

Cheers

Rob

Hi Cameron,

I had already seen your blogs & the Sierra forum. My comments are pretty similar. I've checked out a number of reviews and all are very positive. The straight & level nose down attitude gives the best forward vision I've come across. I was most impressed with hands off in the turn courtesy of the winglets & the excellent control response at only 40 knots. The only thing I didn't think much of are the brakes but that's easily resolved. When I get time I will post my own report.

I will certainly keep you up to date with what's happening when I get underway. Its a pity Toby Bates hasn't kept his up to date. Cheetah Strike | High Performance | 2 Seat | Low Wing | Taildragger | Kitplane – Designed by Morgan Aeroworks Garry tells me he is putting the wings together at present.

Cheers

Kevin

Hi Rob,

I will be going Jab 3.3 as well. Initially I had the whole operational economy thing in my head but if you only want to go as fast as a 2.2 there isn't a lot of difference & I don't like the Rotax for many reasons including reduction drive & cost.

I always chose the 180HP 172 over the 160HP 172 for the extra speed, power & safety margins. Mostly though I preferred the Cherokee Archer 181HP, (low wing means visibility in turns) but these dinosaurs only cruise at 100-115kts & I hardly ever had more than 1 passenger (other than club trips) and that 1 was mostly my wife.

Flaps are probably on my list for short field performance & definitely better brakes than Garry's drums. I'll post my own flight review when I get a bit of spare time.

I forgot to ask Garry why he named it Sierra as some people may confuse that with the Tecnam Sierra. Its where Cheetahs live anyway.

I will keep in touch.

Cheers

Kevin

Not sure about wing tanks as I want the ease of de-rigging into a trailer. I have found that I rarely fly more than 3 hours straight before a pit stop & re-fuel. 2 hours is more usual. Without a head wind that is 750k in a straight line at 135 knots so unless you are flying in the outback over the desert there should always be enough places to land that have Avgas.

Kevin

Agree with you Kevin re the low wing as I learnt to fly in a Piper Warrior.

Also looking to upgrade the brakes in the Sierra to discs and the added cost is a necessity in my opinion.

Look forward to keeping in touch.

Rob

• 4 months later...
Can the Sierra be registered LSA? Ticks all the boxes except for usable weight in my case, or do they have plans to get LSA certification? Would be a fantastic package then

It's well underway right now. Certification should be complete fairly soon for both the Sierra and the Cougar.

In the interest of full disclosure David, I'm an accredited agent.

I haven't sold a single aeroplane yet, but where there's life there's hope.

I really believe in the planes' awesomeness, so I help Garry out where I can.

He's a paid up advertiser on this site, so it's all kosher.

Just waiting for me to create the advert.

Garry has just sent me pics of his latest blue Sierra. Looks great like all the others. It surprises me a bit that there are not more of them around given all the features that beat the pants off everything else (but then I'm prejudiced having made the Sierra my choice after only 5 years of research)

How many other aircraft have all these features

Strong +8g, -4g

De-rig into a trailer in 10 mins

Low wing, great vis in turns unlike the common Carp variety

Winglets for superb stability in turns, reduced vortices drag, & smoothing the bumps

All metal construction (plus a few FG mouldings)

Fantastic forward vision with nose down attitude in S&L flight

Excellent Endurance

Amazing controllability right up to the low stall of 30knots & that without flaps & little yaw at any attitude

Plenty of useful options (flaps, wing tanks etc)

Side-slips so well & 30kt stall so you don't need flaps (Oops just contradicted myself)

Comfortable & spacious cabin With plenty of storage space

Light & easy controls with no nasty habits

Full flying elevator just like my old favourite PA28-181

Nice big rudder

PERFORMANCE like 135kts cruise at 75% power, 85 kts at +1000 fpm climb with Garry & me, better than a Pioneer 300 at twice the price

Great Looks although Garrys ads need better picture angles. He should use some from the website.

Designed & built by a top bloke not some corporate non descript pass the buck bunch

There are other things as well but that's enough for me:clap::thumb_up:

Kevin

Guest Sharp End
There are other things as well but that's enough for me:clap::thumb_up:Kevin

Looks like you have competition for your agency Slarti! 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

This is the design ultimate as advised by Garry. I didn't quote it as the load rating, it was just to emphasise the word strong, given most have design ultimates of 6G.

Kevin