i-Phone Efis.

gregrobertson

Guest basscheffers

Telstra, but expect to pay for it. Remember that none of the Telstra iPhone plans include any data at all; you are charged at $2/MB from your cap. So on top of the normal monthly charge, add another $29 "browsing pack" to get 300MB. You also pay through the nose for either montly plan or up-front cost. Expect $95/month over 24 months. (converting up front for 16GB 3GS to monthly)

Three has the best iPhone deals by far at the moment and good metro 3G coverage. Their $49/month (8GB 3GS is free, 16GB for $5/month) gives you up to three times the call allowance as telstra does. You get 250MB data (50MB less than Telstra example) and if you want an additional 500MB, it's only $6/month.

Telstra: $95, Three: $54.

And remember that while Three, Optus and Vodafone don't have 3G in as many places, in much of the country where you can get a NextG signal, you can also get a GSM with GPRS signal from the other providers. You don't need 3G to get the weather or your email; GPRS does that job too.

So the choice is: best coverage for almost twice as much, or good coverage for half price.

Yeah, I am shopping too for when my plan expires in a couple of months.

telstra

Sorry, I shouldn't have left you guessing. The previous post is right. I pay a huge premium for it to just work everywhere and well. Not just in the country area and the air but Sydney as well. I have friends on other providers that have troubles and I can't even get Optus in my flat which was the reason for swapping over.

It's just sad Telstra always make it seem you are getting a good deal but all you're getting is better coverage which for me was what I needed. My business runs from my phone.

Other apps I use. (I have a page on the phone just for aviation)

Aeroweather - not bad but for some reason doesn't pick up Bankstown

Flightplan - Really is a toolbox but I haven't really used it

iE6B - Haven't really used it

CoPilot - pretty good for a quick flight plan. As long as it picks up weather

AirCheck - great for checklists and you can make them up on the web to be shared

Nav Clock - Very nice zulu clock with some weather

V-Cockpit - nice gadget like iHud

NAIPS - great for weather and lodging

iHud - very nice but I think I will rely on the Dynon

Air Nav Pro - An alternative to CoPilot but no maps :(

Windfinder - mainly for sailing but nice anyway

Car Finder (if you've lost your airplane) :laugh

Yeah my coworker uses his iphone now for NAIPS and BOM radar in his RV6. And quite a few of the (younger) Qanaslink pilots use it, as the line hut computer has a patchy internet connection at best. And, of course, that way they can claim their phone on tax! (I'll be doing the same with my netbook once I can get a copy of the manuals on it keen.gif.9802fd8e381488e125cd8e26767cabb8.gif )

Quite handy, really. It's a great product, I just don't like having to join a cult to get one. I like the cult I'm in at the moment, thank you. hahaha

Air Nav Pro - An alternative to CoPilot but no maps :(

?? Mine has maps. Not great but it does have them. Oz is split into quarters and the download is around 530mb per quater so download from WIFI!

I wish it has a searchable place name database though.

Steven.