Rohr 175 Fan Jet

winsor68

Scary ride

Wow, that is some sky rocket! Bet that would be a pretty hairy ride!

could you take a few minutes to explain your reasoning as to why it would be?

juz curious

ozzie

I was expecting something more along the fast and furious performance thing.

I can understand how some fully enclosed pilots may feel a bit vunerable by the glass house view. after years of being out in the breeze i go the opposite way, i feel a bit 'squeezed in' in most light aicraft after years of being ut in the breeze. same with wearing a full face helmet. just get used to it tho.

The wing loading on this is just over 8lb sq ft so not that fast, with the outer wing leading edge cuffed it will stall at a higher AoA than inboard section so it will or should not have mad wing drop tendencies. I would be wary of aft CoG if the crew are light.

The power loading would not be similar to a Cessna 182 or similar aircraft. ( which it was going to compete against) The ducted fan is prety inefficent at low speed so would probably need a bit more runway due to slower accelleration, initial RoC would be a bit unimpressive until it got some speed up. Spinning the LYC at 4000rpm would cause a few problems for fuel consumption and life. The turbine version would be more suitable. I think the rudder area may need a bit more work for low speed manouvering. Interesting wing for back then. Shame the peckerhead cut up the prototypes. Be interesting to read the test pilot report.

Ozzie

• 7 years later...
This is interesting...Rohr 2-175 Fan Jet

There is also a page 2, but no link, here it is ..

Rohr_2-175_Fan_Jet_page2

Be interesting to read the test pilot report.Ozzie

You can find the test Pilot, and a member of the Team, view's on a radio control thread here, they come in on page 3 ..

36" span Rohr 2-l75 ducted prop plan now with prototype history explained - RC Groups