CPL Theory?

Tomo

G'day all.

I'm looking at self studying CPL theory over the next little while, to get it all over and done with once and for all, rather than doing PPL theory, then doing the CPL theory later on.

So the questions are:

1. Is there a set time to do CPL theory? (I'm hoping to nock it over in a few months)

2. How would I go about sitting for the exams? (do I just go to a flight school that offers CPL).

3. I believe there are seven main subjects, does each one have it's own exam? or does it all happen in one?

4. What is the best study material? (I'm looking at Bob Tait's CPL kit)

5. Once I do the exams, and or pass the exams, does that get into CASA's database, or do people just rely on it written in the log book?

6. Can you do the whole bang lot without actually any flight training in between? (ie CPL training)

7. Is self studying allowed? (probably should've asked that first!)

Thanks in advance! :thumb_up:

:big_grin::big_grin:

This will have some useful info http://www.casa.gov.au/scripts/nc.dll?WCMS:STANDARD::pc=PC_90070

1. Yes their is a set time that you need to complete the first and last exam in, but it's a few years, I can't remember if it's 2 or 3.

2. You book the exams online, unlike a ppl which can be done at a training school, you need to go to an exam center called ASL (or similar, I forget).

3. You sit each subject as a different exam. You can sit them one after another in the same day, but the exam centre's generally only hold 2 or 3 exam sessions a day.

4. AFT and Bob Tait.

5. You get a printout with your result and a Knowledge Deficiency Report (KDR's). Which you then must submit during your flight test. ASL also keep a record, but charge $20 or so for a reprint, even if you ask for one at your next exam!

I hope struggling to count to seven is not an accurate indicator of your exam ability 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

7. You need to have completed the B.A.K (Basic Aeronautical Knowledge) exam first and have it stamped in your log book to present on request to be allowed to sit most CPL subjects.

If you plan on doing the shortened 150 hour CPL course down the track make sure you read this regarding when you are allowed to sit cpl exams without disqualifying yourself and having to undergo the 200 hour course.

http://www.casa.gov.au/scripts/nc.dll?WCMS:STANDARD::pc=PC_90071

6. Yes

Thanks heaps Benjamin.

I hope struggling to count to seven is not an accurate indicator of your exam ability

Quite sad really... thats what you get for being in a hurry! :pc strikes back:

If you plan on doing the shortened 150 hour CPL course down the track make sure you read this regarding when you are allowed to sit cpl exams without disqualifying yourself and having to undergo the 200 hour course.

Is it still possible to do the 150hr course if you're already an RAA pilot? I thought it wasn't possible, so wasn't gonna even bother... would be handy if you could though.

You need to have completed the B.A.K (Basic Aeronautical Knowledge) exam first and have it stamped in your log book to present on request to be allowed to sit most CPL subjects.

I wonder if RAA BAK would work? would be cool if it could, though hard to imagine in this day and age.....

I wonder if RAA BAK would work?

I remember some people on here saying they didn't have to redo their BAK to get PPL, although in theory the RAAus BAK shouldn't count. Depends on your school I guess.

I was advised to do the GA BAK for my RAAus licence to avoid having to do it later.

Cheers

You will need to have a recognised BAK pass in your logbook to sit the ASL cyber exams (for you Tomo either at Archerfield or Maroochydore the closest venues) exam schedules are on their website (with costs) as for preferable text, Bob Tait is a little easier to read than the others although all excellent and comparatively priced. another option on the theory is of course the "online version" which you can enroll..comes up if you google. On the flight training side, the 150hr course is only something to consider if you are going to do full time as there are a few requirements that need to be addressed. (all in the syllabus on the CASA website) Get some guidance from Darling Downs aero club as they are the closest to you and are geared better for part time training (200hour course) If you like, PM, phone or catch up personally if you would like a more indepth and unbiased discussion regarding this. 032_juggle.gif.8567b0317161503e804f8a74227fc1dc.gif

Thomo,

I suggest you ring your local GA Flying school and ask what is required & what you can do. At least that way you are getting it straight from the proverbial horses mouth. Good luck with it all I really hope you get it.

cheers Wigg

G'day TSelf-study is certainly an option....BUT...it's bloody difficult!

CPL exams require 2 things to be sucessful.

1. an in depth knowledge of the subjects

and

2. an in depth knowlege of how to pass the exam!!

Subjects like aircraft perfomance are difficult and doing a ground school should be considered

I agree CFI, i know a mate from work he has past five, of them, with air law and one other, aeroplane performance i think, anyway.He is realy struggling with the last two.It is very difficult to self study these subjects .If i was doing it, i would do it with Bob Tait at Redcliffe. The difficult thing, is cost, taking time off work, finding accomodation. Plus side is- than instead of stretching the exams out, you can smash in the study in a class room enviroment over six weeks (i think). i hope this helps you Tomo. Cheers:wave:

G'day Tomo. CPL theory isn't that hard, there's not that much more than PPL but you need a thorough understanding of loading system echo. If you can't work out echo, you won't pass, end of story. You'll need access to all CARS, CAOs, etc, and you can tab them. If you are prepared to really put your head down and study, you should be able to do it, especially if you have some advice from instructors. Learn all you can, I used the ATC books but there are some other good ones around, background knowledge from things like Mechanics of Flight. Not sure if you can do TAFE courses up here, in NSW it's possible.

In my opinion it is easy now because you can do the exams separately, and yes they are now cyber exams that need to be sat at a centre. Way way back when i was a little girl, we had to sit the whole lot of them together in one day. Yep, every single exam in one long head splitting day, with two breaks during the day. So we had to know the whole lot in one hit. Easy now as you can study one subject at a time!

If you want to do your CPL, be VERY careful about when you do your exams if you are doing the 150 hour syllabus. It's probably in Part 5 of the CARs (I haven't checked though) as to when you need to do all the various exams, but it is very strict. If you do your CPL theory too early you will not qualify for the 150 hour CPL and you'll have to do the 200 hour syllabus.

Now if you want to do the 150 hour syllabus you need to talk to a GA school about it, and your training is then GST free, but it MUST be an integrated syllabus of training.

The sooner you decide you want to do it, the sooner it would be prudent to discuss it with a GA school.

Anyway, get hold of some books and start studying because knowledge is a good thing!

Thanks Muchly guys/gals... :big_grin:

I've decided not to worry about the 150hr thingo, because I don't think hrs is going to be a problem down the track.

Yes CFI it could be difficult, but what's not a challenge eh?! And I've got all you smart people to come screaming to if need be.... :thumb_up:

So, what I've got to do now, is do the GA BAK exam, and buy a set of CPL theory books. And ATPL....? Mmm, wonder if I ever want to go that far.....?

CPL exams require 2 things to be sucessful.

1. an in depth knowledge of the subjects

and

2. an in depth knowlege of how to pass the exam!!

Subjects like aircraft perfomance are difficult and doing a ground school should be considered

Thanks, I would like to do a ground school for the lot, but some people just can't get time off for that long... 031_loopy.gif.e6c12871a67563904dadc7a0d20945bf.gif not to mention the cost...........

I guess once I receive the books, I'll have a look through them and see If I'm barking up the wrong tree...