Exhaust manifold

pudestcon

G'day,

I'm looking for an exhaust manifold and pipe for a blue head 582 Rotax. This will be going on a T500 Thruster and right now I need to know what sender/thermocouple I need to purchase for the EGT gauge (VDO 'Cockpit' series gauges). So 2 questions....

1) Where can I get an exhaust manifold and pipe - doesn't have to be new?

2) What type of sender/thermocouple do I need? Screw in (what thread) or clamp or what?

Thanks guys

Pud

582 exhausts.

Not expert here but I have fiddled with a few. The EGT seems to be very unreliable in service . I would stick to standard positioning for the probe. It has been sorted out and will give you different readings with different positions. You could operate with one probe and swap it over to get each cylinder temps. Run two if your pocket can stand it. Nev

G'day all,

I got an EIS from Grand Rapids Technologies. It cost me $A750 delivered and monitors 2x CHT, 2x EGT, Engine revs, coolant temp. system voltage, engine hrs, outside air temp and for $150 extra altitude and vertical speed. It has limits that can be set both upper and lower and comes with all probes and wiring. The weight is around 600g. performs perfectly and takes up very little space. Don

Well a lot of useful information and advice here:big_grin: Thank you very much fellas; especially icebob for the link which has just the sender I want. Turns out for a reasonable price too.

Now what about question 1.......... Where to get the exhaust manifold and pipe?

Cheers,

Pud

Hi,

sorry forgot to include about question one, I got mine from Burt Floods, rang them and told them what i wanted with slight modification and got the ceramic coating too both at a competitive price.

Bob.

yes Pud egt on both cylinders. If I'd had them to start with I would'nt be rebuilding my T500 now and my flying interrupted for two years.

I emailed Wal at Bert Flood and got an almost instant reply. The cost will be $775 plus tax and freight - didn't ask about ceramic coating. I went for a fossic in a shed today after being told there was an exhaust andf manifold somewhere in there. I duly found it and it is now in my possession for a rust removal and rejuvenating coat of paint. Is there a rust preventative type primer suitable for exhausts? Or do you just paint it with the heat resistant paint suitable for exhausts?

Pud

Hi Pud,

There are some expencive paints out there but on my old Rotax I just used a wire brush, a good wipe with a cloth soaked in metho and heat resistant paint for exhausts from an auto shop.

Every so often just hit it with the wire brushand a wipe over with metho(you can if you want drink what is left in the bottle,ha,ha) again and re applied more paint.

Bob.

Hi Pud,There are some expencive paints out there but on my old Rotax I just used a wire brush, a good wipe with a cloth soaked in metho and heat resistant paint for exhausts from an auto shop.

Every so often just hit it with the wire brushand a wipe over with metho(you can if you want drink what is left in the bottle,ha,ha) again and re applied more paint.

Bob.

That's what I will do then!!

Thanks icebob

;););););)

You should see me in real life:faint:

I've noticed on the exhaust and manifold that the spring lugs have worn through somewhat. Do you suggest I weld (oxy/acetylene mild steel) a repair on each lug to restore the full thickness of the lug?

Pud

Hi Pud,

Yes you can BUT take care to relieve stress from welding and check very regularly around the base of the lug for cracks and splits(I check every 20 hours or so). nothing worse than the lug giving way while in flight, you loose the spring too,bugger:sad:.

Bob.

Sorry for the late response icebob,

I was just reviewing this thread and saw I didn't respond to your last post. Thanks for the advice on the welding. In the past I have done a bit of oxy acetylene mild steel welding but don't have the equipment any more so I'll just get someone to do it for me.

I've cleaned up the exhaust now and its about ready for the primer and paint. I now need 2 support mounts like the attachment here - hope they are a common item.

Cheers,

Pud

P1020656.jpg.96fa2c04415f5fcff015fd04e10578bb.jpg

Hi Pud,

Yes these are common parts, my last lot I think I got from Supercheap auto or one of those, there are two types one with metric thread and one with imperial thread, took a nut with me to make sure. Thay lasted two years for me at around $6 each that was cheap.

Bob.

The exhaust saga continues....

I found out during the week that the manifold I have for the 582 is actually off a 503 and only has 2 bolt holes on each fixing plate as opposed to requireing 4 bolt holes on the 582 - the hole position is different too as is the actual size of the base plate.

See these photos and you'll see what I mean.

I think I'd better give Wal at Bert Flood a call:idea:

Pud

P1020724.jpg.07b5d73a1b1aa2b3dfb1661f60466c05.jpg

P1020725.jpg.74bfd91b1e9627a4a2d2ecb5ddea0eaf.jpg

P1020726.jpg.598c0ff1f4346d50483a1c31b01273d7.jpg

Holy....S.... Batman, not good what about the rest of the motor any interchange of parts?

The aircraft repairs done in the past to me may need checking for not to standard works, an uneasy feeling here.

now you may find with a new manifold the mounts from above are located differently too, what about the springs are they good ones(resting length and thickness)?

Bob.

Holy....S.... Batman, not good what about the rest of the motor any interchange of parts?The aircraft repairs done in the past to me may need checking for not to standard works, an uneasy feeling here.

now you may find with a new manifold the mounts from above are located differently too, what about the springs are they good ones(resting length and thickness)?

Bob.

Thanks for your exclamation Bob:big_grin:

Don't worry, I am fully aware of the potential issues but am confident all will be correct once we get to test flying day!!!

A new manifold and springs will be purchased to solve the current issue.

Cheers,

Pud