Free flying lessons!

Our school in Bathurst is offering a fully paid scholarship for anyone living in the Central Tablelands or Blue Mountains, of NSW. The scholarship will cover 35 hours of flying instruction + theory tuition + text books.

It's all about promoting Recreational Aviation in general and our school in particular. The 70 year old Bathurst Aero Club is co-sponsoring the scholarship.

Details are on our website at: www.centralwestflying.com

If you know of anyone in our region that could be interested, give them the web address.

Cheers,

Chris

Guest Sharp End

Fantastic... I started at 16 on a scholarship and never looked back. This could be the start of a wonderful career in aviation for whoever is selected. 011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif All credit to your school BP, and to the Bathurst Aero Club. :thumb_up:

Guest burbles1

That is a terrific way to promote recreational aviation - hope you find someone who can also help to spread the word to others!

Thanks for the comments folks...

We launched the scholarship last week with radio 'community service announcements' (free) and already have had 60 or so enquiries. So will be great profile for our school and Rec. Aviation generally..

Guest burbles1

Wow! More than 60 responses - that's really impressive. It just shows that there's a lot more budding pilots out there than I had thought.

I wonder how you can capture everyone's interest. I mean, this shouldn't stop at just 'one lucky winner'. Is there a possibility of a free TIF for all those who respond to such invitations (not just for you, Bushpilot, but other FTFs)?

What about creating a bigger bang for your buck - free lessons for a few respondents up to their first solo, rather than fully-paid lessons for one person. I think by the time you get to your first solo, and you've experienced how affordable training is, then you'd pretty much want to keep going and therefore you'd be motivated to find your own funding to complete training to your Certificate (no matter what!).

Just another slant on the idea of "flying scholarship" - it should be more like partly subsidised training to encourage greater numbers.

Wow! More than 60 responses - that's really impressive. It just shows that there's a lot more budding pilots out there than I had thought. I wonder how you can capture everyone's interest. I mean, this shouldn't stop at just 'one lucky winner'. Is there a possibility of a free TIF for all those who respond to such invitations (not just for you, Bushpilot, but other FTFs)?

What about creating a bigger bang for your buck - free lessons for a few respondents up to their first solo, rather than fully-paid lessons for one person. I think by the time you get to your first solo, and you've experienced how affordable training is, then you'd pretty much want to keep going and therefore you'd be motivated to find your own funding to complete training to your Certificate (no matter what!).

Just another slant on the idea of "flying scholarship" - it should be more like partly subsidised training to encourage greater numbers.

Good thoughts. We looked at doing lessons with several people - say first 10 hours, but figured we wanted someone to go right through and get their licence, who would then become an ambassador for the school. But that idea still has merit and we may try it at a later time.

As for the multiple TIFs, if you have a look at the application form - at www.centralwestflying.com - we are offering all applicants a TIF at the normal $70. This way we weed out those that might otherwise not take the selection process serious enough. So there is a good chance that some of those that do the TIF, but miss out on the scholarship, will go on..

Time will tell how effective the overall strategy is..

Cheers,

Chris