how to start

Depends on what you are interested in. There are paragliders, powered paragliders and powered parachutes with many different manufacturers. Then there are trikes of all shapes and sizes.

Find a club or instructor to take you for a TIF (trial instruction flight). These are usually fairly cheap and will give you an idea as to which style of flight is for you. Do your homework on the internet and find out as much about you preferred form of flight as possible. Talk to those that fly the machines in question, join aircraft specific forums and ask questions.

I fly a PPC and find mostly scorn and ridicule from GA pilots (but not all), from lack of knowledge I suspect. An unbiast opinion is what you want with the good and the bad.

Cost can be anything from a few thousand to big buck depending on what you choose, also new or second hand. My PPC cost me $14,000 second hand plus flight instruction. Best money I ever spent. :thumb_up:

John

Guest Decca

Hi Gormley & John

I know neither of these posts above is in a "just landed" thread, but note that each is your first post. I also don't know a lot about the weight-shift side of things (I'm into 3-axis fixed wing), but thought I would take the opportunity to welcome you both to our forums, and to our sport.

Regards, Decca.098_welcome.gif.81ff07d492568199326e4f64f78d7bc6.gif

Starting.

IF you want to go with RAAus, get a lot of back issues of the magazine and read as many as you can. Gives you a good idea of what it is all about.

Visit quite a few active aerodromes and "suss" out the atmosphere, and how it all seems to work. Don't be surprised of you seem a little peripheral initially, but if you get no good vibes go somewhere else. Flying is a fairly social thing although if you just want to get the ticket, then you could do your flying mid-week and only know the instructor.. You should get the best instructor possible as you only learn the basics once and better to get it right first time. He/ she doesn't have to be your best mate. Someone you never get close to may do the best job of training you, as you don't expect any favours, and corners to be cut. good luck. Nev

Hi Decca,

Thanks for the welcome. :)

I have haunted this and other sites listening to all comments and learning as much as I can. Although this site is more 3 axis orientated it still provides me with good info. You can never learn too much, especially when it comes to aircraft.

John

Guest Decca

Thanks John, plenty of experience here, especially on the weight-shift craft.

Just been chatting to one (Tracktop) in the chat room. You can have lots of fun there if you can get a word in, or have a serious discussion in your own private room. Not sure that sounds right, I do mean with someone else of course!

Enjoy, Decca.024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

I have heard that there are some motors which are very unreliable. I have also heard that the "strap on your back" types do not require licensing etc like the wheeled ones do. I'd sure like to hear any comments from people who know.

My son is interested in getting one for finding stock, and I reckon they look like fun so I am thinking of going in with him. But at my age I would much prefer one with wheels and while I don't like spending a lot, I don't like the idea of engine failure either, even though you are already in a parachute of sorts.

... Bruce

Hi Bruce,

Paragliders (no motor), Powered Paragliders (motor on back) and trikes (a powered Paraglider Trike) do require licensing and are obtained in that order through the Hang Gliding Federation of Australia HGFA. Google Powered Paragliding to find further information. RAA controls Powered Parachutes PPC which are a heavier trike.