A newbie wants to start... please help!!

Hello people,

I'm a newbie to the world of flying (apart from me being a virtual pilot if that counts...lol). I had my first TIF a couple of weeks back at Moorabbin, and now I'm seriously considering to join a flying school and take this passion of mine further.

I've had a look at different options (GA & RA), and decided to go with RA (due to cost and time). Now I have a few questions, and it would be great to get some help:

• I'm looking for a good flying school in and around Melbourne. I have easy access to Eastlink, therefore Lillydale (Lilydale Flying School), Coldstream (RVAC) and Tyabb (Peninsula Aero Club) are all about within 45 minutes drive. Any inputs on which school to choose? I'm leaning towards Tyabb as they have a concrete runway as opposed to grass or gravel.

• Aircraft: Which is the best aircraft to learn on? I would prefer a yoke (instead of a stick). Can I learn on Cessna 152 or similar? or are they not meant for RA?

• Cost: What is the approximate cost I should budget for? Most flying school websites suggest about $3500-$4000 but what I know that is not true due to extra flying hours and other incidentals. Any close approximates?

Sorry for the long post but I really need expert advise before I jump into anything.

091_help.gif.c9d9d46309e7eda87084010b3a256229.gif

G'day tc.

Can't help you with the best school question. Plenty of forum members from down that way, so it won't take long for some opinions on that one.

Cessna 152 don't fit into the RAA weight catagory.

Is there a reason for the prefernace of a yoke over a stick?. Most RAA acft have a stick. But some do have a yoke. (stick is more fun)

I am a little biast, but Jabiru's are an exellent acft to learn in. Most schools down your way use them for training (or so i believe). But there are many good training acft available in the RAA schools.

As to the cost. This is one of those how long is a piece of rope things. But id say generally the prices you quoted are near the mark.

Remember, most quotes you get will be for the RAA pilot certificate. There are extra endorsements that you will probably want to do post certificate. i.e, passanger carrying, cross country.

My advice, book a tif at a few different schools, talk to the instructors, fly the planes, see which one appeals to you the most. And, talk turkey, dont be scared to ask about ALL the cost's.

Cheers, keep us posted. There are a few students on this site from down your way. Im sure they will chime in.

Hi TC, and welcome to the forums - you'll find heaps of wise advice here!

RA is definitely the way to go - even if ultimately you want a PPL licence. It's much cheaper to learn on RA aircraft, then if you want to do things like take more than one passenger or fly into controlled airspace then you can progress to a PPL licence. Or you can stay with RA and enjoy cheap flying!

The Cessna 152 is outside of RA, so that's not an option. But we have lots of similar (maybe even better) aircraft like the Jabiru and the Tecnam. And most of our planes have a stick rather than yoke - but that's a personal preference! The RA aircraft will certainly hone your stick and rudder skills ...

I fly out of Lilydale and reckon it's a great school - good instructors and nice blokes to boot, three fairly new Jabirus to play with. Plus the grass strips are great to learn on - bit more forgiving if you're not pointed exactly down the runway when landing, but with their own challenges in the wet.

As far as cost goes - that depends on how quickly you learn (for me, at my age I'm learning slowly!). But at YLIL the Jabs are $180ph with instructor at the midweek discount rates. And you should allow an absolute minimum of 20 hours, probably 30 to 40 hours.

Check out Darky's blog, she also flies out of Lilydale and it'll give you an idea of what's involved - A Need for Airspeed.

Flying from Lilydale, as Darky says you could try Lilydale flying school, with RA-Aus and GA. Djpacro on here is a good instructor that area, you could ask him too.

It is cheaper to fly RA-Aus aircraft but talk to the school because sometimes it seems people take longer to solo in the RA-Aus aircraft for some reason. Extra hours means more money. Ask advice from the school.

I prefer sticks, I think most people do. Cessnas and Pipers tend to have yokes but there are plenty of other GA aircraft with sticks, and plenty of RA aircraft have sticks. It doesn't really matter whether you learn with a stick or a yoke though because you will most likely fly all sorts of aircraft as you progress and it doesn't take long to get used to stick or yoke.

Guest rocketdriver
Hello people,

• I'm looking for a good flying school in and around Melbourne. I have easy access to Eastlink, therefore Lillydale (Lilydale Flying School), Coldstream (RVAC) and Tyabb (Peninsula Aero Club) are all about within 45 minutes drive. Any inputs on which school to choose? I'm leaning towards Tyabb as they have a concrete runway as opposed to grass or gravel.

• Aircraft: Which is the best aircraft to learn on? I would prefer a yoke (instead of a stick). Can I learn on Cessna 152 or similar? or are they not meant for RA?

Hi TC. RE a flying school, I've just re started and have been flying at Tooradin. They seem to have good availabilities and the instructors all seem ok too .... Nice scenery too!

Re aircraft, I find the jabiru easy to fly, but quite challenging to fly well ... so a good training aircraft, IMOH!

RD

Guest aaronb

Im down at Coldstream flying with RVAC, they are a real nice bunch of people and many many years of aviation amongst the instructors! they have 2 Tecnams (one brand new).

Great little airfield to train at, nice views around the yarra valley.

:thumb_up::thumb_up:

im at coldstream .... if you dont enjoy lilydale but you probably will.... try coldstream, not far from lilydale...

as aaron said... nice area and people out there...

I say, try all the schools... just book a TIF at them all...