Canberra Second Airport

At Temora a meeting was held to provide an update on developments for the creation of a second (GA/RA friendly) airfield in the Canberra region.

Since then, an email was sent by Michael Monck, the vice-president of the Canberra Region Aviators Association, to all people signed up through the website.

Below is the content of that email.

If you fly in the Canberra region, of even think you might one day, I urge you to check out this website and show your support. The RAAus have even expressed interest in relocating their head office to the new airfield, so members will be able to fly in for a visit.

The current airport owner is actively pushing all GA out. He is more interested in building offices and factory outlet malls than in supporting aviation. The last remaining flight training facility is now closing (there's some bargain 172s available, and even a Duchess). There were 10 FTFs not long ago.

Anyway, here's Michael's update:

A meeting between CRAA and the Chief Minister was held on the Thursday before Easter. During this meeting the prospect of establishing a second airfield in the ACT to meet the needs of sport and recreational flyers in the region was discussed. The meeting itself was positive with Jon Stanhope displaying a level of enthusiasm and support that we did not expect.

Although the Chief Minister was not in a position to commit to financial support on the spot we do expect to see a small allocation of funding in the next budget due to be handed down in May. The intention of this funding is to further investigate the feasibility of a site within the ACT and examine the issues surrounding the environmental, social and other impacts of such an airfield.

Talk of further funding, should the findings of the above studies be positive, also took place. This discussion was very conceptual in nature but we left with the impression that the Government would be supportive of the airfield and that they would consider offering more support in the future to develop the project into a functioning airfield.

In addition to this, the Chief Minister was surprised at the number of people within the region that held some sort of pilot qualification and was impressed at the level of support CRAA had gained already. A positive side effect of having an incorporated body to further our interests is that it provides a mechanism to manage the airfield into the future and relieves the Government of the ongoing responsibilities associated with it. This was raised as a key concern of the Chief Minister and he was pleased that we could address it. He suggested this was a critical issue and welcomed the opportunity for his staff to work with CRAA on this project.

It should be noted that the support of CRAA has been won with little, if any, formal marketing effort and it is important that we all play a role in spreading the word further to build this support to even greater levels.

The outcome of the meeting was extremely positive and one that we are very pleased with. Despite this, we should remember that we face significant hurdles further down the track and, no doubt, resistance from others. Being able to show a significant level of support and demand for the project will go a long way to addressing some of these issues we will encounter.

In addition to the meeting with the Government, we had a successful meeting at Natfly on Easter Saturday which was attended by around 35 people. While there were some familiar faces we have seen at the Canberra meetings last year, there were a lot of new faces and enthusiastic support.

One important result from that meeting was the necessity for those of you who know people who might be interested, to direct them to the website – www.craa.org.au.

Over the next few months we expect to see some developments. While we can communicate the broader objectives and progress via print media such as the RAA magazine, the long lead times of these publications makes them unsuitable for regular updates. With this in mind, it is necessary to communicate electronically to keep people in the loop. If people are not signed up to the website this will not be possible so please, let people know about the website and encourage them to sign up.

In the very near future we will be ready to accept financial members. Most of you will realise that without a substantial number of members we will not garner the support of the Government and the project will face a very uncertain future.

It is probable that the ACT Government will offer some sort of financial support for this project which enhances the value of your membership. Your committee will also be investigating other incentives to encourage membership and increase this value even more in the coming months. Another email detailing these incentives will be sent in due course.

We still have some way to go before our goals are realised and there are some significant challenges ahead. That said, the positive outcomes of our meetings so far suggest that with your support and ongoing enthusiasm we can make the vision of a second airfield a reality.

Please note that we are now only sending information to people who have signed up to our website. This means there may be some who are not aware of our existence or what we are trying to achieve. If you know someone who you think may be interested then please forward this email to them. This includes those who are not located in, or near to, Canberra as they too might benefit from the success of our project here in the Capital.

Cheers,

Michael Monck,

Vice-president, CRAA Inc.

On behalf of the committee.

Guest basscheffers

In the mean time, if you are visiting the area, you are welcome at Dick Smith's strip: Gundaroo. Or so he keeps saying in interviews.

Just call the manager to get permission and watch out for that steam train on the taxiway!

• 2 months later...

utilising existing airfields

Ok, so canberra airport is out as GA/RAAus training and there is a group trying to establish a 2nd field in the ACT. Well good luck to them. In my numerous positions in various clubs and organisations one thing became abundantly clear, people would rather participate in the designated activities than put in the "hard yards". I can't blame them, after all the slowness of bureaucracy becomes a trial for almost anyone . Then there is the cost of such a venture ,even if some of our tax $$$ can be re grasped , it still has to be megga bucks. With those thoughts in mind I wonder why existing airfields such as Goulburn, Cooma Snowy mts or Cooma polo flat have not been considered. I am sure that a 1 hour drive from CBR is not to much of a trial for their intrepid flyers and those fields are all ready to go [ 1 hr is my travel time to a field and the social activity] . Any how, even the idea of cheaper parking away from CBR could have some benefit. I'd rather be in the air , even if it means a bit of a drive, than be awaiting a new field. The support of what existing fields we have seems like a priority.

Guest burbles1

Goulburn does GA training with a Piper Warrior - don't know if Polo Flat does any GA. Considering there's around 150 private pilots in Canberra, and that the last flying school there had to close due to rising costs, I think a second airfield with low ongoing costs and outside controlled airspace is definitely needed (if the growth of RA is anything to go by).

Feasability.

Cost of operating it and the planning aspects, (Distance from noise sensitive areas) etc. The flatness and drainage are big cost items. You will most likely need some access to electricity. How do you spread the costs around? The more people the less the individual charges. Light Industry (aviation associated and otherwise) and FREEHOLD? land for residents and aircraft, might be considered. Look at the success stories, and the ones that have been sold off and work out WHY? Consider the prevailing winds and align the Rwy's accordingly. Hardly any one does this. Nev

Guest basscheffers

Selling hangar sites seems far and away the best way to raise the capital for a project like this to get it established. Possibly with matched funds from govt. How much is rural land in ACT?

Government grants can pay for maintenance; they do for other transport and leisure facilities and maintaining the airfield will not be that expensive. Businesses on the premisses probably should pay some reasonable license fees.

Just checked: 350K people in ACT. SA has 2m, so it's one fifth the size. We have more than 5 succesful airfields with lots of hangers for aircraft owners, so no reason one wouldn't work for ACT!

With those thoughts in mind I wonder why existing airfields such as Goulburn, Cooma Snowy mts or Cooma polo flat have not been considered. I am sure that a 1 hour drive from CBR is not to much of a trial for their intrepid flyers and those fields are all ready to go [ 1 hr is my travel time to a field and the social activity] .

Pete,

All the fields you mention are in NSW. This feasibility study is something the ACT Government is conducting, they have no interest contributing to NSW facilities.

I'm a Canberra pilot and I fly at Polo flat, it's a great little private airfield with some good people involved, but I'd still like to see a GA Airfield for Canberra.

Canberra Airport used to be a fantastic place with at least three organisations offering flying trianing and a large community of pilots with a lot of privately owned aircraft. The costs have gone through the roof and all of them have now been driven out except the Canberra Aero club who are now based over at Fairbairn.

The Act Government spends millions of dollars on pointless things such as roadside art, and now $30m + on an Arboretum (A tree garden) 088_censored.gif.2b71e8da9d295ba8f94b998d0f2420b4.gif. I'd be very happy to see them spend some money on something that supports the Australian aviation community.

They made election promises to fund a motorsport complex and then renigged on that using a feasibility/ environmental impact study as an excuse, let's see if they use the same strategy here.

Guest basscheffers

It sounds to me like it would be totally viable, even if it wouldn't give great returns and just break even.

Does anybody know a well-off retired businessman with a love for aviation in the Canberra area that might be willing to invest? Preferably one who knows how to deal with government on issues of aviation!

ACT Govt promises for funding sounds like the way to go . Even if there is a way to go till it arrives and the new airfield sees its first sod turned. Then again, if I were to build my dream aircraft I too would need patience.

WIth what I understand is a deadline for GA to be out of CBR by Sept what will happen to the 60(my guess) odd aircraft currently tied down there. Does this see some owners just have to throw in the towel and sell ,whilst others seek other accommodation for their bird. From that perspectice one could almost say that the govts approach could be, and pardon my sinicism, why have another aifield when all the planes have gonnnnee...

New airfield for Canberra.

Yes Pete, a new field for Canberra sounds great, however do we have the years of life expectancy to spare before it is up and running. I fear both you and I will have big long grey beards before it becomes a reality. 049_sad.gif.af5e5c0993af131d9c5bfe880fbbc2a0.gif

Guest burbles1

The Canberra Region Aviators Association, who is running this proposal, is meeting with the ACT Government this week to work out timelines and processes. The CRAA says they will post on this forum soon when they have an update for their members.

Feasibility study

My understanding is that all we have so far (and its a big advance over what we had before) is an allocation of up to $50k in the budget for a feasibility study. The airfield being at at Williamstown is a possibility, but not a given.

A deal being considered is that the government will allocate the land if it is within the ACT, and put forward development costs dollar for dollar. From there on CRAA will be fully responsible to manage and fund the field.

Jack. :):)

I know an organization that has around 10,000 members and is interested in aviation. :thumb_up:

Perhaps a one off levy - 50.00 each member (500,000) and get the GOV to go dollar for dollar, and, with the sale of shares at 50.00 each (i'd buy two or three) and we would be well on the way - The home of RA_Aus. 011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif

(and we would all own a part of it) :big_grin:

regards

:big_grin::big_grin:

Guest burbles1
... pardon my sinicism, why have another aifield when all the planes have gonnnnee...

The CRAA is encouraging membership of their association as the main means of showing the ACT government the level of interest - so the number of aircraft that may or may not be at an airfield is irrelevant. And because the CRAA presented at NatFly, it's obvious they need more members not just from Canberra but other regions. I can't see why anyone would not want another airfield for the good of aviation in general, especially that some key airfields have closed to both GA and RA traffic.

Guest mudjeep

I don't have my own plane and I live 80km by road NE of Canberra so it won't be my local airfield by a long shot.

But I've joined.

Who else has joined? Put your hands up. 021_nod.gif.30c66a33e1ed960b5b5d3fc7b345b58d.gif

I live in the northern part of Sydney, and I've joined!!

As previously posted, it is important that the aviation community shows support for this kind of initiative.

I've only been involved in aviation for abvout a year, and in that time of reading mags, checking blogs, and generally absorbing much info as i can, there seems a dark, pessimistic "gloom" about the direction of aviation in general, and in particular the future of airfield facilities available to small and private operators. That can only change if we and GA get active and do something about it.

It's only $50 to join. So lets get involved. It may be my/your area next!

Chris

Guest JRMobile

I joined for a couple of reasons, I have family in Canberra that Id like to visit, I would like to attend a few RAAus meetings just out of interest and as a flier, there is no such thing as to many airports.

Cheers

John

Ok, so canberra airport is out as GA/RAAus training and there is a group trying to establish a 2nd field in the ACT. Well good luck to them. In my numerous positions in various clubs and organisations one thing became abundantly clear, people would rather participate in the designated activities than put in the "hard yards". I can't blame them, after all the slowness of bureaucracy becomes a trial for almost anyone . Then there is the cost of such a venture ,even if some of our tax $$$ can be re grasped , it still has to be megga bucks. With those thoughts in mind I wonder why existing airfields such as Goulburn, Cooma Snowy mts or Cooma polo flat have not been considered. I am sure that a 1 hour drive from CBR is not to much of a trial for their intrepid flyers and those fields are all ready to go [ 1 hr is my travel time to a field and the social activity] . Any how, even the idea of cheaper parking away from CBR could have some benefit. I'd rather be in the air , even if it means a bit of a drive, than be awaiting a new field. The support of what existing fields we have seems like a priority.

I drive to Murray Bridge and fly ( about one hours drive) because I dont want to put up with Parafield Airport (SA) just down the hill.

Guest basscheffers
I drive to Murray Bridge and fly ( about one hours drive) because I dont want to put up with Parafield Airport (SA) just down the hill.

If it were just an hour for me I would consider it, but from Golden Grove it's a loooong way to YMBD. Hour and a half easily. In fact, it's far quicker to go to Parafield and fly to Murray Bridge. Not to mention more fun! 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

It's a slightly longer taxi at Parafield compared to Mike's hangar at YMBD, but otherwise no issues as far as I'm concerned for going places. While training, the YMBD training area is a lot closer, though.

Guest basscheffers

81km in 50 mins is 97km/h average. No way you can do that on those road without breaking the law! An hour and 10 on the very best of days. And that's almost an hour longer than Parafield!