Camera and photographic

Ross

A sample of a small label on the back of a Nokia phone battery charger wherethe small lettering is less than 1 mm high.

[ATTACH]445[/ATTACH]

The photo was taken without flash just a desk lamp with a Panasonic DMC-FZ5 digital 5 megapixel camera setfor macro shots with the medium resolution JPEG photo setting and about 2X magnification. It still has the TIF settingto go which produces bigger files I don't hnow about the detail!

The resultant Jpeg photo was cropped down to about 1/9 th of its original size before posting to the forum. This camera has 12X optical zoom equivalent to a 35 mm SLR with 36 mm to 432 mm zoom lens. And it is out of date - the later models have higher resolution and also include anti shake feature as does this one. They have come a long way in the last couple of years.

Apologies - I just noticed the topic here is supposed to be daylight saving. So if a camera topic is started perhaps this post could be moved to it if an admin person has the time & thinks it is worth it! Otherwise delete this post.

Regards Ross

20061216_132939_Nokia_Charger_2.jpg.493d4211f21e06e93c85e2ee0535876c.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

From our flying point of view, one of the things we need to shoot sometimes is close-ups of damage.

I've only got an old Cannon A-75, which is a 3.2 megapixel camera, but with a bit of adjusting can get the shots I need.

Arthur.

20060527_011714_TailSpring.jpg.7e62f32e50f1d1072e2b2adc78271d01.jpg

Wanted a camera for in flight use,

ideals

fast response digital

reasonably high pixel count;- to allow cropping rather than a need for poster sized prints

easily used left or right handed

easily used single handed

manual control options

any suggestions?

any other criteria that should be considered?

many thanks

Davidh

I used to use a Fuji 3MP camera, but after 50 years of using good quality Twin and Single lens reflexes I couldn't put up with the screen for viewing and also the slow startup time, so I bit the bullet and bought a Nikon D50. I bought Nikon because I already have 2 film cameras and various lenses to suit that brand. It is very good with 18-55 and 70-300 zoom lenses and I don't use the old lenses because they are only marginally better focal length wise than the modern zooms.

A good friend of mine had to keep up with the Jones'es (me) so he bought a Pentax, very similar but it has image stabilisation built in. I don't know how good it is yet.

I find the only problem with mine is the reflections from in side the canopy, which a polarising filter will not completely remove and it is mainly a right handed operation. Easily worked one handed.

That same friend of mine has a very good Canon which has a 12x zoom and also takes videos, which a SLR cannot do

Ian Borg

• 3 weeks later...

Ultralights, see if you can take one of the small writing on the $10 with your macro. You should see words to the effect of "Sons of the mountains" etc.