Fantasy Air " Allegro 2000 "

bacchus

Well as much as I hate to talk negatively of anything aviation,''you asked for it''

*The allegro has many design flaws in my opinion, it's long metal wings seem to be made very flimsy and I feel are not attached to the fuselage with much integrity, - there is no ''carry through'' stucture between where both lift struts attach the fuselage, just a fuel tank (RIGHT UNDER YOUR SEAT!!!!) the ''doors'' are crappy bits of plastic that flop around, as has been mentioned the controls feel all out of wack, there is a lot of adverse yaw (similar to a glider) which is not a major problem that can be overcome with correct technique. Cruise speeds are over quoted and I personally wouldnt want to go anywhere near VNE in an allegro, considering the way it is built. It has a very narrow track for such a long wingspan which makes it awkward in crosswind conditions and the nosegear assembley design has many flaws, the seats are not real seats more like sitting in a hammock, the roof is made of plastic so the sun comes straight through but the view out is obstructed by push rods and bars, the cabin constantly smells like fuel, there is no way of telling how much fuel is in the tank as you refuel (no sight gague just a dodgy panel gague and the refuel port is on the SIDE of the fuselage under the door, the only way to know when your full is to let it overflow onto the fibreglass fuse ????) It is TERRIBLE in rough weather, the big long wing and light fuselage means that its wing loading is very light so you feel EVERY bump and every breath of wind. I worked at a school that had one online and twice it was filled with vomit from the newcomer getting airsick (coincidence???)

It has been years since I had anything to do with one of these aircraft but that's a good thing, I wouldn't touch one with a ten foot pole.

Lets talk about Drifters instead, more my cup of tea.

Cheers

• Like 1

Thank you, David. It is comments like yours that keep the prices on used Allegros affordable. For those who own and fly them regularly, we know better. The Allegro 2000 is the best light sport model airplane you can buy for the price right now, hands down. And, as I mentioned in my first post, "I do love reading the comments of those who have never actually flown one."

• Like 1

Haha, happy to help....

These are just genuine observations I made while it was online with a flying school I was involved with. I am glad there are owners out there who are happy with their aircraft.

I suppose I have the same reaction when I hear people scoff at Drifters.

Good on you and please keep enjoying your flying safely and looking after your a/c

Hi Bacchus,

It has been interesting to see the various comments concerning the Allegro 2000, some comments learned and some no so. All aircraft have their characteristics, some performance benefits are traded for others. It is a matter of deciding what is important to you. I have an Allegro 2000 this choice was influenced by having a 450 metre strip at 3550 feet ASL. I learnt to fly in a Jabiru LSA, I remember my instructor saying, if you learn to fly the Jab you will be able to fly anything. He may be right but certainly going up to the Allegro was a dream in comparison. The plane literally jumps into the air, on a normal day 80- 120 metres will have me airborne from my strip. The flaps set at stage 2 converts me into a Stuka dive bomber for landing in tight spots. Some of the club members at Mudgee say that the Allegro takes off on a postage stamp and lands on half a postage stamp. The glide is exceptional, when I recently did my BFR the examiner did an engine out well south of Mudgee AD, he asked me what are you going to do? I said I am going back to Mudgee," his reply there is no way you can do that (he has a Jab 170)". Not only did I glide back but then I had to get rid of excess height when I arrived. Great to fly but what is the down side? well with all that wing area and being relatively light the plane tends to bump around in turbulent air, this means that I have to drop the speed to get a comfortable ride. Whereas I have flown the Allegro 2007 in Piscek in the Czech Republic, in this case in howling turbulent winds. It was an absolute joy to fly, the very model of stabilty. As you have been advised there are two mods, firstly the wing dihedral increased from about 1 degree to close to close to 2 degrees. The stabilisher fin and rudder has been raised but not increased in size. The US factory is now looking at a modification kit to increase the wing dihedral on the Allegro 2000 to the same as the 2007. I am awaiting the results of the trials and certification. My feeling is that may make the touch that will comfirm that I made the right decision. I note the comment on the Vne being low (118 kts) reflecting on the build quality, what comment would the same person make on a Foxbat that has a lower Vne?

Allegro 2000

• Like 1

Well said, Windsor. I did want to emphasize the VNE. Even though the posted "never exceed speed is 136 mph" the actual test and structural "never exceed speed" is 156 mph. As an American I only understand miles per hour. You will have to convert the figures to metric for the rest of you. Fantasy Air published the maximum speed (regulated by FAA) as the VNE thinking it was what they wanted for certifying the aircraft in the United States. You have to remember Fantasy Air was only the third light sport to be certified in America. Later it was noted that the published VNE was inaccurate and questioned, but the factory chose to leave it that way because of all the legal paperwork it would have taken to change it back. Plus they felt it would prevent pilots from over speeding the airplane with the 100 hp engine past the legal FAA max speed of 136 mph.

On the turbulent air, yes any light sport because of its weight will buffet and bounce, giving a poor ride. I could see no appreciable difference between the 2000 and 2007 model Allegro except for requiring a little less rudder authority.

Thomas,

Thanks for your words of wisdom, this should clear up the matter of Vne now. I spoke with Jacob at Fantasy Air in the Czech Republic when I visited there in 2008, I raised many questions the answers were interesting. Firstly the glide ratio is quote at 12:1 but I have measured it many times at 18:1;" yes that is right but 12:1 is the theoretical value so that what is quoted". The crosswind landing speed is quoted at 10Kts but I have landed the aircraft at higher crosswinds than that without any trouble,"yes that is correct but we must be conservative particularly as we are in the United States market.

Yes you are right the Allegro 2007 does require less rudder with the turns which makes it easier however this is a minor thing it does not take long to learn to co-ordinate rudder and aileron in the 2000 and there is a feeling of satisfaction of doing a good turn; not like the lazy pilots that expect the plane to fly itself." However as I said before in my previous post the stabilty of the 2007 Allegro in turbulent air was wonderful.

Allegro 2000