Hangers

Hi,

I'm just playing with some numbers and was looking info. Can anyone give some ball park figures for the cost of buying and erecting a hanger? This would be assuming that you already have the land.

Any numbers regarding cost and how many aircraft it would house would be greatly appreciated.

How long is a piece of string .....

First start with where you want your hangar and then contact the airport owner - for country airstrips that is usually the local Council. You are usually looking at

• Rates

• Insurance

• Services

• Infrastructure

Experiences at different airstrips over many years:

Council said we could lease a minimum 900m2 lot at the airstrip. Rates would be $1 per m2 per year to be reviewed yearly ($900 - no services), minimum $10million public liability insurance. Cost to survey and lodge plan with Council $2,500. Building application & inspection fees $180. Failed because we could not get public liability because the aircraft was an ultralight (totally uninsurable back then). Lease was 20 years after which Council resumed ownership of the hangar we built - had to have concrete floor with structural steel embedded - ie could not pull it down and take it away.

Council offered to rent a hangar to one person for $400/month, he then shared with 3 of us. Spent about $5,000 renovating Council hangar - 6 months in to 2 + 2 yr lease Council resumed hangar and demolished it for more parking - no compensation. Assume Council held the public liaibility insurance. Moved to another hangar and it was sold from under us and our lease was null & void.

Council leased an area of land to the Club for $10 and required $1million public liaibility. Members maintained the strip (mowed, painted, cleaned toilets etc). Members built hangars which could be bought and sold amongst themselves. Council reviewed lease and decided to up insurance to $5mil, each hangar owner had to pay an additional $500/pa. Next year it goes to $10 or $20mil. If lease is not renewed all hangars become council property.

Applied for hangar site - lots of beaurocratic fiddling for a year. Finally lease written by solicitor arrived - $$$'s of work to build sealed apron, 500m x 4m taxi way & drainage. Hideously expensive requirement to connect power, water, sewer and telco (all over 1km away) - and this was just an open shed to shelter 2 aircraft! $20mil insurance, and talk of more work for $$s for perimeter roadway - very frustrating dealing with people with no idea of aviation. Got out of it cheaper by buying the block next to the airstrip and building own parallel strip & hangar.

Couldn't get a hangar on airstrip (none there and not allowed to build). Attempted to buy freehold adjoining airstrip and enter through adjoining fence. Failed because Council deemed our single ultralight hangar to be a shed too large to be considered on a residential block (1,700m2 block) - offered to buy the next block to make it 3,200m2 all up - but could not budge anyone. Would have paid rates of about $2,500 per year incl garbage etc.

More about what you can do may be contained in the town plan for your town/city/shire. Some Councils disclose their fees in their annual budget. For an example see http://www.centralhighlands.qld.gov.au/council/documents/Fees_Charges/2009_2010/Airport_Charges.pdf

This Council offers hangars for rent from $40 per week shared to $60 for a single aircraft 'igloo' hangar. Itinerant - $15.80 per day, $1.20 per hour. Plus landing and parking fees.

Building a hangar - depends where you are and the land owner's requirements. Any shed catalogue should give you prices. Looking at the one that arrived today $16,800 would hold a C152 with no doors. Closer to the coast you need a higher cyclone rating and in exposed areas a higher wind rating. Expect to do a concrete floor. You need a building application and inspections and on-going rates or lease.

Alternative - if you can find a farmer with a strip and spare shed you might get out of it cheaper. We have a portable hangar which consists of a frame and a tarp. The whole thing cost about $4,000 and easily fits a C152, but needs to be tied down. It can be pulled down and transported on a trailer and put up by one (with some ingenuity) but it is not an acceptable solution for Councils. OK to keep weather off. It can be permanently attached to footings and clad with colorbond or similar.

Alternatively get an aircraft with folding wings that can be trailered.

So how long is a piece of string? Anything from free to over $100k.

Sue

Current owners of 3 hangars, 1 trailer and 1 nice farmer's shed.

Guest Escadrille

Aiiee I do so loathe the ignorance and inflicted pain that comes from Australian bureaucracy..

051_crying.gif.fe5d15edcc60afab3cc76b2638e7acf3.gif

I Know! If we got rid of local Councils, everything would be better and cheaper wouldn' it!

Oh! wait a minute, thats right, we did that didn't we..

No better and no cheaper in fact quite the reverse..

Why didn't it work?

You can't get rid of the freeloaders that easily it seems..

Come on Dark S you're the lawyer (I think;-)) How do we get Councils and bureaucracy to play fair?

Sorry, Has to be purely a rhetorical question I know..

Perhaps;

Crucifixion? First door on the left Please..(With apologies to Monty Python)

Sigh..

hi guys

I am in the construction industry and I have built several hangers at different airfields, for different aircraft, etc

eg wider than others depending on wingspan, there are lots of ways to skin a cat.............

firstly the checklist

1 -how many aircraft and what type , trikes, fixed wing etc

2- do you want to trolley them in or use your wheels, trolleys allow more flexibility.

3- wind ratings , I live in nth queensland so I build them to a cyclone std, so the price goes up

4- dirt floor or concrete, mine is concrete as i do all my maint there, and i can keep all my crap clean, (costs a bit tho)

5- hinged or sliding doors, or no doors??? these bits can cost lots..........

i have bought a "kit " shed for $12000.00 and assembled it for a customer, was 10.5 m wide by 9m long, it was for 2 jabs but it was a bit of a squeeze, open both ends so each could roll out without interferring with the other.

i have my own designs for different purposes, but talk to the shed builders they also have options. feel free to reply i will post some photos.

Use a shipping container

I had similar hassles with our local council- they wanted $1,000 pa rates for an unserviced 7m square shed site at the local airport-from which almost everyone else has migrated!

Instead I redesigned plane, built a carrier onto which I roll plane, undo 5 bolts to separate fuselage from wing, rotate 90° to drive it home via public roads. A few year's work, but it allows me to work on the beast at home (I'm still married) and it lives in a secure shipping container, a very economical hangar.