Come and say g'day and be part of the flight.

Hi All,

My 'There and Back' departure from Bundaberg on May 5th is looming large. The flight around Australia in the Jabiru will consume most of the month, returning to Bundaberg on May 23rd.

I'm listing the route below and would like to invite anyone along the way to come out and say g'day. For more precise timings, my position will be updated via satellite on the 'There and Back' website. Track My Flight |

I am particularly keen to see any photos or film people might catch of the 'There and Back' Jabiru in flight. Obviously that's one angle my onboard cameras won't capture as well. :big_grin:

Anyway, look at the route below and it would be great to say g'day.

Cheers

Owen

5 May: Bundaberg – Rockhampton – Emerald - Longreach

6 May: Longreach – Winton - Julia Creek – Cloncurry -Mt. Isa - Barkly Homestead

7 May: Barkly Homestead - Tennant Creek - Katherine (Tindal) - Darwin

8 May: Darwin – Kununurra – Derby - Broome

9 May: Broome - Port Hedland – Carnarvon - Kalbarri

10 May: Kalbarri – Geraldton - Perth. (Jandakot)

12 May: Perth(Jandakot) – Kalgoorlie - Forrest

13 May: Forrest - Ceduna - Streaky Bay - Port Lincoln.

14 May: Port Lincoln - Minlaton - Wilkins Homestead - Adelaide (Parafield)

15 May: Adelaide (Parafield) – Hamilton - King Island - Launceston

16 May: Launceston - Flinders Island - Point Cook

17 May: Point Cook – Wangaratta - Wagga Wagga – Temora - Canberra

19 May: Canberra – Wollongong - Stanwell Park – Mittagong

22 May: Mittagong – Sydney – Newcastle – Tamworth - Toowoomba

23 May: Toowoomba – Brisbane – Caboolture - Bundaberg

P.S. Thanks to all who have donated via 'There and Back' to the Royal Flying Doctor Service. We clocked up $2,000 for the RFDS today.

Guest watto

I did cast you a thought when I landed at Mittagong at Easter to visit my mum, I wish you good luck and I will certainly try to be in Bundy for your return.

Fly safe.

Hi Owen,

There's a good chance I could join you for part of the trip from Caboolture to Bundy. I could fit the GoPro to get some shots of your aircraft if you want (from a safe distance naturally - I'm not formation endorsed 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif )

Hi All,

Thanks for the messages of support; I hope to meet some of you on the way around.

I am meeting up with some media at Kununurra, so I'll be there for a little longer than the standard fuel stop. I can't wait as that's my old 'stomping ground' from my charter days 20 years ago.....or more.

I'll be dropping in at Caboolture too as I have mates there and I want to catch a few shots of Ralph Cusack's Beaufort that's under restoration. Some GoPro shots would be great too!

Thanks again to one and all. Please keep the messages and emails coming and I'll endeavour to get back to everyone ASAP.

See you soon,

Owen

Hi Shags,

Brisbane may well be an overfly, much in the way that I will fly past Sydney Harbour.

I am planning to arrive at Caboolture around 0930 to position for the final sector to Bundaberg. I have received a number of emails from folks suggesting that they might fly along for that final stage as well. There's always the 'Hinkler Hall of Aviation' Hinkler Hall of Aviation to visit if you make the trip.

I hope to see you at Caboolture as I will stop there for a while enroute.

Cheers

Owen

what i wouldn't give to tag along to bundy but alas no aircraft nor xcountry endo makes that slightly difficult (not to mention end of the tax season for work so I will probably be working for most of the day).

Hope yo see you there in the morning though. Good luck with the flight.

Guest basscheffers

Hey Owen,

Wilkins Homestead, are you touching down there or just overflying? Just wondering if there is a strip there at all!

Cheers,

Bas.

Hi Bas,

Just overflying and capturing some footage for the DVD.

Sir Hubert Wilkins contribution is too often forgotten and I thought it would be special to overfly his childhood home.

Thanks again for staying in touch and I hope to see you in Adelaide.

Cheers

Owen

There are a lot of RAA fliers in North Qld which you avoid [and foum members] that you bypass - my comment is to get greater support think where the the folliowing may be - I have been to Longreach, Winton, Cloncurry etc best of luck

Frank

Townsville

Hi Frank,

That planning decision was a real tough one; I have family up your way! There were a couple of other areas I wanted to visit as well, but couldn't.

Unfortunately time constraints meant that dog-legging back to Longreach from FNQ was not possible this time around. That's not to say that it isn't firmly in my sights for the future. ;)

Thanks for your support.

Cheers

Owen