Financing a CPL

shags_j

Guest basscheffers

The way I understand it is 150 hours is on the "integrated course", which you must do from the start of training. So you may be too late to make that worth your while. But talk to the experts. :)

Just had a quick looksie and you appear to be correct. Unless you find a very accomodating cpl training institution it is hard to do the 150 after starting.

Looks like the 200 for me. Yay.

Shags that is true in theory but in reality most schools will do the same training in the early stages, so all you need to do is notify them you are heading for a 150 hour CPL and they will make sure you complete the 150 hour syllabus. I know of people who have done the 150 hour CPL after starting out planning to do a PPL. Just advise the schoolf of your intentions.

150 Hr CPL.

I would think the reduction to the lower hours would be only in the circumstances where a very specific course was done. There would be a bit of personal (may I call it indulgent) flying in the other "minimum hours". ). The lower hours format would have the "fat" trimmed out of it. Nev

ok. Thanks Mazda. Better start looking for a school then. Thanks everyone for your help, lots of food for thought.

Lets hope I don't need the advice and KRudd pays my way ;)

Facthunter it sounds as though Shags hasn't done PPL navs yet, and most schools follow an approved 150 hour training syllabus for everyone in the early stages. Shags if you let the school know they can make sure you comply with all the requirements.

If a PPL technically speaking from can be done in 40 hours, that leaves 110 hours minimum (or 160 hours min) to work towards CPL.

The 150 hour syllabus doesn't mean you must do your test at exactly 150 hours, it is a minimum requirement.

Excuse my ignorance but does the government not offer assistance for pilot training (CPL)?

Something similar to fee help or HECS if you want to get a degree at uni for instance?

There are aviation degrees I have read about where you do a cpl (worth looking at?)

e.g. Bachelor Aviation (flying Stream) University of New South Wales - UNSW - Undergraduate Information

Again I haven't researched extensively into this but may be worth a look

You can go to uni and they will pay up to 80 grand, but its only covered for the three year degree and you do have to pay it back at somestage, and most of the flight training orgs looking after the unis are overpriced in my opinion, and although its not too late for a 30 year old, i will say the same thing that people told me as im around the same age..Get to it..

I wouldn't bother with the 150 hour cpl as you(or the vast majority) aren't employable after a 150 hours, and most of the schools you do a 150 hour course at will find other fees and ways of making it no cheaper than the 200 hour.

I would suggest finding a school that caters for both GA and RA, do the 200 hour course, maybe do an RA insructor rating when you have the hours as it will improve your flying and knowledge no end(if its done properly and by the book) and even if you only do ten hours instructing a month on your weekends, it will build your hours and experience a lot quicker and cheaper than any other way and you will be under the supervision of highly experienced pilots which will be great to gain knowledge and discuss experiences...

If you dont want to take a big loan, then i would suggest doing each licence in blocks so that way you get good bang for your buck.

Get stuck into ALL the theory asap.I made a deal with myself to knock of as much of it as i can before i take any sizeable loan.

Good luck

I can't do another degree. Those days are well and truly past me. I think I may have found someone to help me with the cash as I go along (so I don't need to pay all the interest from the start). Will let you all know what I decide to go with.

Cheers,

Shags

Simon the problem is that some people don't want to employ low time CPLs, whether 150 or 200 hours. I don't know that most schools run a separate 200 hour CPL "course" as such, it's just meeting the minimum requirements and standard then do the test.

To be employable it is good to have an instrument rating or an instructor rating, but think about it the other way too. If you go to a school as a student, do you want an instructor with perhaps 200 hours total time? Or someone with a bit more experience?

Whether you do a 150 or 200 hour CPL there is room in there for some extras.

Hullo Shags.

After looking at your posts...........

Do you want this so much that you are prepared to vomit blood?

Are you swatting Commercial subjects NOW, at home, so that you can knock the exams over BEFORE you spend dough on flying?

Are you holding down three jobs to raise the dough?

Are you sweeping hangar floors and cleaning aircraft for free, to ensure that, when the time comes, YOU will be "Johnny on the spot"?

Does flying come before eating?

If so............you are making your own luck.........more power to ya.

If not...........stick to accounting.

Cheers

You're dead right nong. My only issue is that I recently became married and want to start a family so the decision isn't solely mine. I was just really looking for the alternatives so I can put together potential career plans to present to my wife.

If it was just me, I would be at uni in a heartbeat. I would have had my CPL years ago. I know I always paid out on my friends who used to give up what they wanted to do when they were married but now I kind of see why that happens.

Shags it is harder with a family as some of the options (like heading to the outback to work) can become problematic, but the CPL can still be done. 30 is not old! I know a guy who started flying at 30 and he's now an Airbus pilot.

Hey that's good news. So not all hope is lost ;)

I've started putting together options. Lets see if the better half is ok with at least one of them.

• 1 year later...

Hi Shags,

Have you commenced your training as yet?

I am very interested to hear your story as I myself am contemplating a CPL next year and moving to Nth QLD to do it.

Im not so much older than yourself (33 years of age) but CPL at this stage for me would be on the basis of personal accomplishment, greater knowledge of flying and increase confidence as opposed to a job. If the latter eventuated I'd love to fly tourists around this great country of ours.

Cheers, Chris

Hi Jerra,

Unfortunately I've not flown a single solitary hour since buying my house and it is depressing me to no end. I thought I would get enough of a raise this year to cover some flying but alas my work duped me again. I'm just finishing up my high school maths now for my army entry, if that doesn't come off then I will have to see if I have enough equity in my house to refinance for CPL. Just don't know at the moment.

It's all too sad :(

If it is any comfort to you fella's/ girls, flying is cheaper today than in the past. I think my training to CPL + instructor rating in the early 60's cost me something like half the price of a house, at the time. You can only do it if you hardly spend your dough on anything else. You go without.!...

A weeks wages would only get you about 2 hours flying. Nothing else has changed. Getting a job is a lot of being in the right place at the right time. Who wants a minimum hours instructor? If you are lucky and someone has noticed your enthusiasm and talent you might be taken on by the organisation that trained you but this cannot be a large number, obviously. Everyone mostly went to the NT and flew there. Lots of people dream of being a pilot. Some will do it for nothing, so you might live a bit poorly for a while, to get hours. Nev