Type 1 diabetes

Finally, after 15 years of hard work by a few very commited individuals.

Type 1 diabetics can now fly solo with a PPL in Australia. Aligning CASA regulations with the FAA and Transport Canada.

This is great news for any pilots with type 1 diabetes (such as myself).

Big thanks to those who worked hard to get this.

Here's the link for more info.

Civil Aviation Safety Authority - DAMEs and DAOs

Cheers,

Hi,

Congratulations!! I have Type 2 diabetes myself, so less of an issue as currently treated with pills, but still one of the reasons I went for RA rather than GA, as the medical would have been a lot of work.

Keep us informed of your flying and maybe do an article in the Diabetes magazine to encourage others to follow.

Cheers and Happy Landings!

Neil

• 1 month later...

Well this thread slipped my attention! As a type 1, may I say congratulations Australia, now if NZ would just follow suit!

By and large the requirements that CASA have set forth are wholly sensible and not at all difficult, with the exception of...

At 3-month intervals, the aviator must be evaluated by the treatingendocrinologist. This evaluation must include a general physical

examination, review of the interval medical history, and the results of a

test for glycosylated haemoglobin concentration.

Really, every 3 months you have to go see an endo. That seems, excessive. Now if that were every 3 months you have to see your GP for a general check and get an A1c to be submitted to CASA, that would be somewhat understandable (although, 6 months would be a better figure), but to have to go see an endocrinologist every 3 months... that would get pretty difficult/expensive I think.

Only just caught up with this post.

I'm just so happy to hear the positive results for you and others.

Fly safe, and now get on and enjoy your flying once again.

Hopefully given time, you may be able to go further and and get the visits to the endo stretched out a bit, to make things a little easier for you.

Kind Regards

Planey