Pilots of other language origin

Hi all,

As you may already know I am student pilot with only about 14hrs on book.

When I went through some of the (forum) discussions I found that pilots of other language origins either don't understand R/T communications from English origin pilots or their language is hard to understand by other English origin pilots (here I am only referring to the 'first language' as 'origin').

Yesterday when I was doing my cicuits with my instructor another pilot was calling ours and gave some info about his locations, I couldn't remember how much I did understand on this, but I was not overly concerned about that as my FI was wih me.

I was not sure whether I didn't understand this because I was mostly concerned on my landing than on the communications (still a nervous student who wants to get the plane down on the runway.) or due to my language limitations.

Although English is my third language I have no problem in communicating with others - job wise or socially - either face to face or over the phone, but would like to know whether other English origin traning pilots too had this issue, if not i will take some time to listen to the comminications on the CTAF till i get used to it.

Thanks very much.

G'day pradeep,

I'm an aussie born and bred with only one language to get me by - "Aussie" it's called and I'm fully aware of how hard it is to understand. Hell, even I have trouble understanding it especially through the headphones:laugh:

Where I fly there is a lot of radio traffic from Asian pilots, mainly Chinese I think, who I find hard to understand as well. I believe the solution in all cases is for the transmitting pilot to spppeeekkk ssslllooowwwlllyyyy. It seems to me that most pilots think it is professional to speak so quickly that no one can understand it.

My solution is to listen hard for key words or phrases that may give you an indication - such as locality name for a position fix, call sign and type of aircraft. If you get the call sign at least you can ask for confirmation.

Hang in there pradeep and the radio 'lingo' and understanding does get easier to comprehend.

Cheers,

Pud

I think we all have this problem from time to time. I usually miss the call sign so I quickly reply with "Aircraft calling.....say again" This should give you time to get your attention on the call.

Thanks Pud, actually when I was writing my first post I determined to do my radio calls as clearly as possible. I believe safety is paramount regardless of how good and fast I am in English or not.

As I was doing the radio calls these days, at least I am happy that the other pilot did understand my calls.

Deskpilot, you are ‘spot on‘ on missing the call signs. That was my first worry actually, if I miss the call sign, how can I ask the pilot to repeat what his intentions are. Thanks very much for the info.

I think that I must remember that even though I am repeating the call sign for the hundredth time it may be the first time the other pilot is listening to, so regardless of how many times I am repeating I will always be clear on my calls.

Cheers

Guest rocketdriver

hi Pradeep

You may find that the issue will go away as your experience deepens. At the early stages, you are focussing a lot of your attention on the flying tasks, leaving little left over for other stuff. Later on, when you have "automated" a lot of the "controlling the aircraft" and the "getting the circuit right" stuff, your brain will have more spare capacity for the peripheral stuff. This need to internalise a lot of the basic skills is one reason for the minimum hours requirements.

As an illustration, I saw this with my son on a go cart track .. his first time. There were some traffic lights which, when amber, meant "slow down, do not overtake" whilst they sorted something out. He was so focussed on driving the cart that he never even noticed the lights go amber ......

Regards

RD

I always thought that I spoke clearly on the radio. Then one day I had cause to chat to Brisbane centre, and the first thing he did was ask me to repeat my callsign... 025_blush.gif.9304aaf8465a2b6ab5171f41c5565775.gif I try to speak a bit slower now.

I do recall that for the first couple of months most radio calls were indecipherable. Then, as I learned to listen for keywords, it started to make sense. Even now, though, I occasionally hear "3000 ft" and I suddenly think, hang on, I'm at 3000ft. Who the hell was that and where on earth are they?? Partial situational awareness is a scary thing! 091_help.gif.c9d9d46309e7eda87084010b3a256229.gif

Radio technique.

Speak slowly and clearly.

Use standard phraseology

Press the botton for a short time before talking.

Think what you are going to say before you start talking and relax a bit. The world doesn't collapse if you get a word wrong. Just say XYZ.. correction ...tracking 345 or whatever.

If you don't understand another transmission call SAY AGAIN. or CONFIRM altitude 3,000....I think a lot of pilots get nervous on the R/T. If you try , you will do it well, and it is not "sissy" to do it right . If there is not much talk on the frequency perhaps a "good morning" on first contact would not hurt....Nev

Speak slowly and clearly.Press the button for a short time before talking.

Sometimes I do this after talking 031_loopy.gif.e6c12871a67563904dadc7a0d20945bf.gif

Speak slowly and clearly.If there is not much talk on the frequency perhaps a "good morning" on first contact would not hurt....Nev

I will do this next time as most of my sessions are in the early mornings ( I can't wait to see my FI's reaction to this). :raise_eyebrow:

cheers

Guest Wigg

Pradeep, I too am a student pilot probably am a lot older than you & started at the age of 50, Believe me being in a circuit like Moorabbin & trying to listen to the control tower & the foriegn students, (all of whom seemed to be talking really fast) I finally got the hang of it at about 20 hours. Maybe if you jot down some of the important keywords on a knee board if you can may also help. Regards Sue (Wigg)

Hi Pradeep / all,

I'm also a student pilot at about your level of experience. In addition, I'm an immigrant (recently gained my PR visa) and I'm hard of hearing (I'm only just within GA's Class 2 medical standards, but I've now switched to RA). So I have all the problems that you and others have mentioned before.

Yes, "Aussie-English" is a difficult language to decipher (even for native Aussies!) but with practice and some patience it can be learned. Then again, almost any accent of English is difficult to pick up quickly, even "English-English" because it is not a tonal language like Thai or Japanese (I have a limited command of both).

Voice recognition software fails to work properly for this very reason (I really, really dislike those voice recognition systems on some companies telephone systems).

For me, the golden rules of verbal communication is to know what you're going to say before you do and speak audibly, slowly and clearly. Of course, you must follow the rules and use standard aviation phraseology, too.

It all comes with practice but, if you haven't yet mastered it, never be afraid to ask your fellow aviator or ATC to "Say again".

Cheers and enjoy your flying. I know I am.

Hi Pradeep,

I have over 30yrs in policing, but new to flying - but radio communications in both fields are similar. When I first went on the road I couldn't understand what was being said. For the first few weeks I think I drove my then senior "buddy" mad with saying "What did they say?"

I think part of the problem is the way radio changes the voice tonal range slightly and adds other backgound noise/static, etc, in. After a while your ear (brain) will become tuned to this and you'll understand it much better. I found I did after a few weeks.

One thing may help to tune your ear in - if you have access to a radio scanner - tune it to the local airport and listen to the communication chatter. You'll find that within a short time you will start to better understand what is being said.

Using the scanner lets you listen in when you are relaxing at home (hearing this type of communication more often), rather then just when you are in the aircraft and concentrating on other things - like flying.

Hope this may help?:thumb_up:

Regards,

Paul

I'm an immigrant (recently gained my PR visa).

Congrats Owi..:thumb_up:

(I really, really dislike those voice recognition systems on some companies telephone systems).

Couldn't agree more....

For the first few weeks I think I drove my then senior "buddy" mad with saying "What did they say?"

Paul, I had the same problem when I got my first job in Aus (Deniliquin) where vehicles equipped with hands free mobile phone kit. During my early couple of months I used to go with my manager for site visits, whenever he was answering calls through hands-free I was amazed to see how he did understand the voice over the hands-free (this was within my first 3 months in Australia, I had no idea of 'Aussie' accent)

But now it's like a magic that how far I have come through in my communications.

I hope I will pickup the same with the aviation R/T.

Thank you all, your replies really relaxed me on my R/T 'understanding other call'.

I feel fortunate to have such a wonderful forum, looking at the replies, how friendly and encouraging you all are...Thanks very much.

107_score_010.gif.2fa64cd6c3a0f3d769ce8a3c21d3ff90.gif

Cheers,

Guest eland2705

Pradeep, 098_welcome.gif.81ff07d492568199326e4f64f78d7bc6.gif

I'm a "Sarf Efrican" with a little "bit of an accent".

I invested in an Icom handheld radio (I needed it for the glider anyhow) and loaded it with the CTAF Freq for YLIL, YMPC, YBCC and with YMML App, YMES Twr etc. By listening in over the last 6 months or so you become attuned.

By the way, learning to fly the first time in the 1970's on a Piper Cherokee 140 in Rhodesia, I had exactly the same issue. In those days you didn't have the fancy headsets you have now. Just a speaker in the cabin roof behind your right ear.

All Good Stuff, and one other a good headset makes a huge difference. Your own is a great idea, Just recently bought a fancy ANR (active noise reduction) headset. At about $1100 it is a great investment. It is very quite, allowing for those susspect transmisions to be a little clearer.