Neil McDonald

Nel clob 2729

Ray Cowley 2182

Eric Fordham

DG Ferguson

Peter Finch

Rod Pascoe

CLL Eliott

perhaps see if google has any hits with these names?

There was a Neil McDonald who was CFI at Chieftain or Illawarra Aviation, Bankstown in the 70's. These two schools were associated, and had a club-like social side. Back then, they did long flying safaris involving students and club members. Looks like this inscription is a souvenir of one of those trips, with Neil as leader.

The unreadable signature 2240 is probably 2230 which is the postcode for the Cronulla area in the east of the Sutherland Shire. The 2729 is probably 2229 which is the Caringbah area, adjacent to the Cronulla area. So one surmises that these two are mates.

Ray Cowley could be Corboy and the postcode could be 2132 - Croydon, Sydney.

Pilots used to sign their commercial licence number on (some) flying related documents. I don't recall using postcodes in those days, certainly not with a signature endorsing a book.. My instructor's was in the 3 thousand and mines in the 5 thousand. My student one was 20382. All those were in strict order of issue so you knew how many came before you ..

It appears half of the students (SPL) made Private (PPL) and half of "them" made Commercial (CPL). That's relating to the early 60's period. Probably nothing like that today. Nev

• Agree 1

Was that the Neil MacDonald that used to fly for the Transavia factory?

Quite possibly. Transavia were Sydney-based and the Neil I knew was also based in Sydney - Bankstown. He may have also piloted Illawarra's P-51 for target towing. I remember that he flew the first Subaru into Australia Fuji FA-200 Aero Subaru - Wikipedia