How Much Too Wack !

Just wondering about how much an Instructor/ Mentor or the likes, needs to Wack someone if they feel they have stepped out of line. Or possibly done something which they may have already learnt from!

Admittedly Iam a Junior in the field !

However ,If I were the Instructor/Mentor or the likes and I felt it my duty to address a situation. I would remove the addressee from the situation, discuss it, then ask if they felt they had learnt from thier doing's. If the answer and the feeling from the discussion, came back in such a manner, I felt it had sunk in. Then I believe this is where it should sit!

If I or anyone else was to keep wacking it in after the, addressee, had confessed they had learnt a lesson.

Would we then not to be considered WACKER'S ourselves!

Let's Live and Learn and Not Be Wacker's :thumb_up:

Reason for Doing It

It should be for the benefit of the recipient, otherwise the person dispensing the process is indulging in control freek behaviour. invariably the person NEEDING to behave like this is feeling threatened and has to re-establish his/her territory or power relationship. Nev

Yes, its a difficult area. Im only new to it myself, but what ive learned so far is that in aviation, most of what goes on will NOT be seen by the CFI/Instructor. It relies on the honesty system.

I had a young fella tell me that he had attempted to barrel roll an aircraft. It didnt end up well and scared the hell out of him. BUT, he did tell me about it, which enabled me to discuss it thuroughly with him and work on his attitude. I feel he learned alot from the experiance, but one of the major things he learned was, he can confide in me without getting 'whacked too hard'. Its just my opinion, but i think that if guys are scared stiff of you, you will hear nothing.

Alot of guys have discussed openly with me problems they have had, poor descisions, bad landings etc. As far as im concerned its a nessecity that you are approachable.

my 2 cents.

Support.

You have to keep the lines of communication open. We are dealing with a generaton of people who are not as personally disciplined as most of their predecessors were. They don't realse that they should learn from the mistakes of others, because they won't live long enough to make them all themselves. Be available . When I was a school teacher the rest of the staff used to call me "Father confessor". The kids used to tell me everything, ( because they trusted me). Nev

Motz is right (as usual) I am in a similar situation as he is and its a hard balance between between scary enough to stop them doing stupid stuff and nice enough for them to tell you when they stuff up. Its a hard place to be and one you really only learn about when your in it. But my theory is that everyone should be man/woman enough to say they made a mistake and admit to it. Just remeber a mistake you made if not reported can come back to bite someone else in the XXXX if you don't admit 2 it!

It should be for the benefit of the recipient, otherwise the person dispensing the process is indulging in control freek behaviour. Nev

Absolutely. :thumb_up:

Education is the key to all things,how it is delivered should depend on the individuals ability to learn. 092_idea.gif.47940f0a63d4c3c507771e6510e944e5.gif

Cheers,

Frank.