Schools in

Guest ozzie

Guest Maj Millard

Very enlightning Ozzie, I really enjoyed that !.From a lot of old books that I have read, apparantly one wire behind another has even less drag than one alone......................thanks, Ross

The video jogged an old memory from back in the early hang gliding days. ('76) our little group was sittting on the hill at Stanwell Tops with a cold southerly howling in and the conversation came up on drag from tubes on the exposed 2 inch dia crossbars. We removed one and took turns standing thereon the edge of the hill holding the tube into the wind and feeling the effect of the drag pushing backward, noticing the increased effect during the gusts. Wind was 20 to 25 mph on the old Hall meter. I think that this was probably the first time that any of us really put a bit of thought into just how much drag there was in a bit of tube. Further experimentation was conducted (over Bulga Dan's burgers and apple pie) with various sized fairings made from cardboard and tape.

Fun educational days.

Ozzie

Fascinating stuff. We have a lot to thank the early researchers for, especially NACA for sharing their findings. I believe fair dinkum racing cyclists use aerofoil-shaped spokes!

And tear-drop shaped heads - I mean helmets . . .

One thing I don't understand is wire has a drag force of 1.1 when the aerofoil has a drag force of 1.0, if you stuck an aerofoil around the wire it'd have a drag force of 1.0 right? So that's hardly improving the efficiency unless you had a lot of wire? Or was he saying that the aerofoil was bigger than the piece of wire (in surface area) yet was more aerodynamic?

-Andrew