The Younger Generation.

Griffinx2

I was lucky enough to solo a GA aircraft when i was 16 and i had my PPL shortly after my 17th Birthday, I still fly regularly and love it though i cant afford to fly GA regularly anymore but thank god for RA. I feel that aviation contributed alot to me growing up it taught me responsibility, task management and a huge amount of organizational skills.

This is where my question comes in, personally i don't think that there is much being done to attract younger people to aviation. RA seems like it is focused on the middle aged- Retired category and so it should be to some extent as this is their largest members base. But personally the younger generation (15-25 age group) is a untapped gold mine. There are parents out there that buy their kids $6k+ motorcycles and spend hundreds every few weeks going to race meets. Wouldn't this money be better spent giving their kids some life skills while at the same time putting their kids on a path to a possible Career. There are a a couple of GA flight training organizations around that offer discounted training to local schools in turn these Schools offer course's (TVET) in aviation. Does RA do this?? and if not why? this is open for discussion so please voice you opinion.

gotta agree G...lots of potential out there..

i get the impression we miss out due to .."not getting a potential student, beyond the airfield fence".

..get them in an aircraft...and the addiction is started..

as pilots we need to encourage a 'non-pilot' into the air...ask yourself...did i fly to a flyin/meet with an empty seat beside me??....

if u did...it's time to change.

RAA are /would be on the cusp of an explosion in flying training...if....they got serious about it.

• Like 1

gotta agree G...lots of potential out there..i get the impression we miss out due to .."not getting a potential student, beyond the airfield fence".

..get them in an aircraft...and the addiction is started..

as pilots we need to encourage a 'non-pilot' into the air...ask yourself...did i fly to a flyin/meet with an empty seat beside me??....

if u did...it's time to change.

RAA are /would be on the cusp of an explosion in flying training...if....they got serious about it.

Absolutely think about it where is the main maybe only place you see Advertising for for RA.................in RA and limited GA publications when its only catering towards pilots and people already interested in aviation essentially its only propaganda. What about Joe Blow the middle class 23 year old tradie that blows all his money on his car's\ motorbike\ boats but has always thought it would be cool to fly but thinks its only for wealthy yuppies. You have to admit how many people you tell you are into aviation ask how can you afford that isn't it really really expensive? I bet RAAus or a couple of Training organizations could afford to put a ad or 2 into the big papers or men's mags once or twice a year.

• Like 1

You dont even have to pay for it.Just have to get the local newspaper to do a article on your flying school.Thats the hard part unfortunatley.

Generally helps if the reporter actually reports what you say correctly too :P

I don't know why more young people (like me) aren't interested in flying to be honest..

Money probably is a big thing, but I manage to do lessons and I only work casual at a supermarket. Can't wait till I get my certificate, then I will try to make some of my friends want to start flying by taking them flying!

Im in the same boat as Jake, Worked casual at a supermarket and managed to afford it just fine... I guess its just people dont know the opportunity is out there, so I think CFI's idea might just be a good one... Any time you have a spare seat, invite someone along for the ride...

I agree totally with getting young, or even older for that matter, passengers along for rides & do every opportunity I get. I try to sell the idea of learning to them on the flight explaining the relative low costs etc. I guess the conundrum is, & us older ones who have started flying in late 40's,50's &/or 60's can identify with, is that there are huge demands on one once you settle down, particularly if into marriage or similar, then kids come along, they have to be educated, entertained & bonded with not to mention house building & spousal duties. If however at least you plant a seed for the future your job is partly done. Start early is the answer, if it can be afforded, because there will invariably be an interlude along the journey. Forums are full of such confessions..........

Dex said

there are huge demands on one once you settle down, particularly if into marriage or similar, then kids come along, they have to be educated,

You got that right Dex. I flew GA for 18 years, and during the last few years, with three children to educate, two in secondary college, the best I could afford was the required 3 hours in the three months before licence expiry to renew the licence. I felt this was not sufficient to safely remain current, so I let the licence lapse. Before I could renew it later, I was retrenched and my income level dropped considerably. Now retired on the pension, with what little super I have disappearing before my eyes, there's no chance of resurrecting any type of flying aspirations.

there are huge demands on one once you settle down, particularly if into marriage or similar, then kids come along, they have to be educated, entertained & bonded with not to mention house building & spousal duties.

I Agree and am starting to experience these things myself, but you mention entertainment in there most parents go out and buy their kids hundreds of dollars worth of computer games some spend incredible amounts of time and money on sports clubs for their kids entertainment and to some extent their own, you get the idea. Whats to say they cant be spending this on Flying? Especially affordable RA flying. Most of my mates are always complaining they are broke, but most still find the money to keep themselves well watered and entertained on weekends.

Dex saidYou got that right Dex. I flew GA for 18 years, and during the last few years, with three children to educate, two in secondary college, the best I could afford was the required 3 hours in the three months before licence expiry to renew the licence. I felt this was not sufficient to safely remain current, so I let the licence lapse. Before I could renew it later, I was retrenched and my income level dropped considerably. Now retired on the pension, with what little super I have disappearing before my eyes, there's no chance of resurrecting any type of flying aspirations.

You dont even have to pay for it.Just have to get the local newspaper to do a article on your flying school.Thats the hard part unfortunatley.

I think think the local paper is way to small personally go big or go home if u get my meaning lol

Airfield open days, open up the workshop along with a couple of different types of aircraft could attract those that like to tinker or repair/ maintain things for a living. We need good trained engineers as well as pilots. And along with the 'Young Eagles' program it could also be extended to include 'Bald Eagles'. Father and son days etc. These sorts of events should be at a local club level. Don't expect RA to do it all.

Ozzie

Spot on Ozzie, it doesn't all have to come from above, in fact club level is probably the ideal place for these initiatives. Michael Coates will know what I'm talking about when I say that I was very impressed with a recent open day the GCSFC put on at Jacobs Well. My youngster has done quite a bit of flying already, but he certainly wasn't going to turn down the opportunity to climb into several different aircraft and have the owners patiently demonstrate their plane's features. Sadly times have changed since I rode my pushbike to the local strip and hung around hoping to be offered a ride - something that happened surprisingly often, but there are still ways to do it and protect yourself from the worst excesses of the nanny state.

[ATTACH=full]869[/ATTACH]

jcw5.jpg.e523312792a8fff39d23cd800a305f2f.jpg

Guest DavidH10

I've taken quite a few people for a flight. Some of them more than once, and all of them have enjoyed the experience. One of them has been thinking about taking it up for quite a few years, but even he is still "gunna" do it one day.

The formation training we have been doing has attracted a lot of favourable attention in the town and we get people parking on the road at the end of the runway to watch. People ring the CFI to ask when we will be doing it again and can they come and watch. Apparently, there are also now people who sit outside in deck chairs to watch from their back yards or gather down by the lake foreshore. I guess it is hard to tell how many actually do anything more, but I'm aware of one situation where the parents will be giving their son a flight for Christmas as a result of watching the formation flights.

PS. We've got a way to go to get to exhibition standard, but onlookers still think it looks great.