Redback 503- Streak wing alternative

Guest MundooTriker

Guest MundooTriker

Hello,

I fly a Airborne Redback 503 - Wizard Wing3. It only has approx 83hrs on it but I have been looking at upgrading to the Outback/Classic to have the Streak 2B.

I love the simplicity of the motor and fuel economy but the only thing slower than me is a powered parachute.

I once put the wing on the Front Hole to increase airspeed, but still only acheived 39knts, rather than the advertised 40-45.

Has anyone tried a Streak Wing on the 503 as I am interested in the result as an alternative to buying another trike base.

I have heard it can be done, but was wanting hear from someone with experience.

Thanks Andrew

I don't see why you couldn't try a Streak wing provided you use the rear hangpoint which should give you about 43kts hands off. That's how I did all my circuit training years ago and the 582 was pretty relaxed on that setting so the 503 should be ok in that territory.

Would not try the middle hangpoint 2-Up with a 503 though may be ok solo, depends on how hard you want to work your motor and may find it struggles to climb 2-Up on the middle hole. Forget about the front hole with the 503.

I do Know a couple of ladies who flew an Edge wing with a 503 a couple of years back but they did get a cracked exhaust on one of the week long fly aways - not sure if that was an real indicator though.

Cheers,

Glen

Glen - I'm missing your point?! Why does flying on the front hole increase engine temp??

I fly my 503 on the back hole - but mainly because I'll like boating along slowly with my Nikon D80 at the ready...

Hello,...........Has anyone tried a Streak Wing on the 503 as I am interested in the result as an alternative to buying another trike base.

I have heard it can be done, but was wanting hear from someone with experience.

Thanks Andrew

Best to talk to Airborne themselves..

great to get some activity on our trike site for a change guys, its been so quiet. I have two wings that I use , one is the Edge X and the other an Arrow 11 Moyes, its performance is brilliant... One day I'll get around to putting on some pics,, when I work out how to shrink the m bytes of my shots to down load them that is... Welcome Mundoo triker, glad to hear from you.. Cheers Lance

Guest MundooTriker

Hello Lance,

What trike base do you use for the Arrow 11 Moyes? I've never heard of the wing and couldn't find it on google. Regards Andrew

Glen - I'm missing your point?! Why does flying on the front hole increase engine temp??quote]Hi Chris,

I don't recall mentioning engine temp in this thread.

A 503 wouldn't have the power to fly properly on the front hangpoint hole of a streak wing.

Rgds,

Glen

A trike pilot I know did just that, put a Streak Mk1 on his 503-powered Edge X base. It chewed through fuel at a prodigious rate because he was continuously running at about 6200RPM just to stay level. At those sort of RPM the normally-frugal 503 can consume fuel at nearly 22 litres per hour, depending on weight.

After a few weeks he put a 582 on the base. Now he had a trike that only burnt 15 litres per hour, two-up. What's more it could climb, cruise and had a useable rev range that made it much more fuel-efficient.

A few months later he sold the entire lot and "defected" to GA. We haven't seen him since.

Moral? The Streak and 503 is not a good combination, even for solo flying. If you want to fly the Streak Mk2B, then get a 582-engined base. If you want to go faster still, then the 912-engined XT with the Streak 3 is your best option.

Andrew, G'day Mate... the trike base I use is the Airborne Edge X And it came from an I nstructor by name of Chris Brandon,, He in the early days of Airborne used to be involved in the buisness, then started a flying school at lochinvar Maitland..I bought the wings off of him,, the Moyes Wing is made by bill moyes and his sons and chris,,Its about 13 yrs old now , but well looked after and is still a favourite of mine...I help that helps you Andrew Mate..

Changing Wings

Hi

This is getting similar to a thread which I started a few months ago http://www.recreationalflying.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1620

You would probably have to re-register your trike as a single seater only as it is no longer standard manufacturer design if you change a wing.

I think the Streak wing has a greater surface area and needs a lot more grunt to keep it in level flight.

Can't believe how slow the Wizard wing is... 39kt. I have a Flash 2a wing and it cruises along at 45kt hands off and with easy bar-in it can do 53kt or more. This is with a rotax 462 at 8 litres per hour!

Regards,

Azhar

Guest Crezzi

Azhar is quite right - fitting a Streak wing would be legal if it was approved by Airborne. I don't know if it is but its not a combination that they advertise AFAIK. Otherwise you would have to take it out of factory-build category.

Regardless of legality I have to agree with Dieselten - you would be absolutely flogging the engine. I'd recommend upgrading if you are convinced a few kts more is worth it.

Cheers

John

• 1 month later...

XC-Buzzard

Howdy Lance... Chris Brandon on the visit..seen your comments!

Refresh my memory on how we know each other.. maybe a surname will prod the dull area of sense... I remember flying several times at Lightning Ridge with the brothers...I'm certain from your comments - I am able to assist you with anything about early trikes & wings... especially Ospreys, Arrows & Buzzards...the good old days before it all got real!!! .. you can never get away from being held ransom to the Airborne link... maybe that's the way it's meant to be... I guess..!

Regards

Chris:yin_yan:

• 2 weeks later...

well Chris its been a while. You may remember way back when you had a flight school at Lochinvar, outside Maitland, I was a novice hang glider pilot then and frequently traveled around on flying holidays, with Stan Hawkins who you new from Lightning Ridge, later he became my brother inlaw ! we called in on you every so often to chat about wings, and any bargains going. Also Peter and Roy council are FRiends of ours, then and until a couple of years ago lived in lightning ridge aswell. Its through them that I ended up with One of my Trikes , which came from you. And thats the long winded version Mate,, doo yoo remember us now!!! I moved to lightning Ridge from Newcastle, permanately around 1998. I hope I havent said anything out of turn Chris, and that u get a chance to call in again at the Ridge, and catch up with all the guys, THe Buzzard is still a great ride, going strong Mate... Regards Lance....

Hey Lance.. Thanks for the comments. Sure do remember you all now..! Still have all the student training records from that exercise in my archives. Had about three visits to the Ridge teaching Peter, Roy & big Stan...fond memories of those early days in trikes. Great to see you are flying a pedigree of the Aussie industry, the Buzzards were great with the Rotax 532..climb like a rocket with a two blade wooden propellor we made in the Prop Shop.. 66" x 36". I have a few photos of the flying we did ..may be able to post one soon. Love to fly with you again sometime.

Smooth flights

Chris:yin_yan:

Thats great Chris, We all are getting older mate, but we can still remember the good times !! Gliding or towing our Hang gliders up, there was always Fun. " Big Stan" Single as you called him is based in Dubbo now,he still Gets up here, when he can. We have our own Hanger at the Ridge and 3-4 Trikes, and a gyro. Also assorted models of Ultralights , about 11 all told. My mate Wayne Holden just bought Dick Pykes Prop Manufacturing business, and he's set up shop in his hanger here, at the Ridge. Your always welcome to drop in, we fly as often as we can. I'll Be making another trip down to Newcastle next week, catch up with everyone,when back. Be Smooth, Regards Lance......

G'day Andrew, mate to answer your question, sorry its a little late coming. The Trike Bases I use are the Airborne, X-C Buzzard 532 ,and the Edge X 582. Both are interchangeable with each others wings, Moyes Arrow II ,And Airbornes Edge series. I find there are small differences,such as one has trim and the other not, but over all perform simmerly. Just enjoy both. even gave the moyes a go on my mates 503 once, he found it was better than the wing he used, faster, but higher rpm. but at least he was keeping up with us for a change.. Moyes are based in Sydney still Andrew, Regards Lance....