Calling all Drifter Drivers

M61A1

Thanks Zyg, yeah I installed the cable operated brakes and was never happy, hydraulic brakes are great, I don't need them and always happy to help out another Drifter Pilot.

I've added an orbit of your house to my usual coastal run just to let you know I'm out there, I hope you neighbours don't mind too much. I hope the New Year has begun well for you and I look forward to another jolly about the place when you are up for it. Hey, fancy a run over to KI in the coming weeks ?

• Like 1

Thanks Zyg, yeah I installed the cable operated brakes and was never happy, hydraulic brakes are great, I don't need them and always happy to help out another Drifter Pilot.I've added an orbit of your house to my usual coastal run just to let you know I'm out there, I hope you neighbours don't mind too much. I hope the New Year has begun well for you and I look forward to another jolly about the place when you are up for it. Hey, fancy a run over to KI in the coming weeks ?

Absolutely,been thinking of goin' over to American river for months.Soon as this weather settles down we'll do it.(must give the machine it's 100 hourly some time this week)

• 3 months later...

Greetings gentlemen, I've just joined your forum and look forward contributing when I can and hopefully finding some help along the way.

A little about me - My name is Peter and I'm an avid Drifter flyer and owner, been flying them about 12 years now here in the Philippines. I've been flying a variety of small GA aircraft on and off over the past 46 years, but from about 15 seconds into my first ride in a Drifter that was basically all over. I bought my own about 4 years ago although it was incomplete at the time (going through a complete rebuild). I have a WB MU532 with a UL618 mounted. I've gotten about 1-2 years of flying out of it so far. It flies very nicely now that I have most of the kinks worked out. Or that is it did until a couple of weeks ago when a broken fuel line resulted in an engine out on take off. Which is what got me into searching the web for sources of spare parts and brought me here.

I'd be very interested to hear any suggestions on locating the items I'm presently looking for - a pair of wheel struts, the brace that joins them and holds the lower wire brackets, and a right hand down tube. I haven't tried Wayne's family yet as I didn't want to bother them in case they are not interested in dealing with plane stuff these days. Wayne visited our airfield just a short while before his accident and we discussed a variety of things I wanted to do to my Drifter, so I am also interested in thoughts and experiences about airfoil covers for wheel struts and king posts, extended pods, and other streamlining options. I've been flying one of his Mark III models down south here and I'm blown away by the increased performance over mine. With only 6hp more and the same prop (plus struts, of course) it gets 30% greater speeds.

I've sent an inquiry to Lockwood Aero for the airframe parts and will post later whether they come through or not.

I look forward to hearing back from the group and hope I can contribute something in return for the help I'm sure to get.

Regards, Peter

• Like 2